Ultimate Betrayal of A National Hero

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It is very sad, the hospitals here and the staff which resemble the same abilities we see across the country. Not much difference between a nurse at a reputable(lol)
hospital and a muchacha or a cashier at Jumbo.
I had a operation here where the nurse supporting the doctor, had no clue where the instruments were or how to use them.
Add the fact she spent most of her time texting on the smartphone, handling instruments with here bare hands while texting on a dirty phone. They only put
gloves on once they contaminated the instruments etc. I would guess the DR has one of the worst medical systems in Latin America

Similar experience. Having my open wound cleaned up by a woman with her bare hands. Opening and handling the stitching
package, before a doctor coming to stitch me up using one glove. And so completely counter productive methods of keeping
a sterile environment. If doctors don't understand what a sterile environment is we can't really expect the nurses to.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I think lack of qualified medical staff is a massive issue, and why we see so many people wandering around without limbs as well.

main reason for amputations is the price. it's cheaper to cut off a limb than to try to save it. also in many accidents it's kinda detached on the spot and it ain't easy to reattach it. not even in the first world such operations work every time.

And might be why so many people will not go to hospital unless they are carried there.

my experience is that dominicans go to the hospital with the smallest affliction but that's a subject for another thread.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
wow, Matilda you are lucky to be alive as I am sure you realize. Did the botched tracheotomy damage your vocal cords?

The bullet went through my throat just below voice box, down and through top of right lung and stuck next to spine. I could speak perfectly after I was shot - until I lost consciousness. All of the air from shot lung filled my upper body known as subcutaneous emphysema ( I knew about that as a diving instructor) which made my face and neck balloon. As the chest cavity filled with blood and air, the other lung also collapsed. They did the tracheotomy above where the bullet entered rather than where they do it on the TV which is in the hollow of the throat. No idea if there was a medical reason for that or they hoped to find the bullet but yes they cut through the vocal chords. I now have a four inch tracheotomy scar above a pretty little star burst where the bullet entered. The tracheotomy enabled me to be bagged with oxygen (till it ran out in the ambulance) but it was the insertion of the chest drains which immediately allowed me to regain consciousness.

Matilda

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
main reason for amputations is the price. it's cheaper to cut off a limb than to try to save it. also in many accidents it's kinda detached on the spot and it ain't easy to reattach it. not even in the first world such operations work every time.

my experience is that dominicans go to the hospital with the smallest affliction but that's a subject for another thread.

I am absolutely positive that lack of skilled staff from accident to hospital is a huge contribution to so many people wandering around without limbs. The biggest player in limbs not being saved in accidents is the blood being cut off temporarily to the broken limb and the limb dying. This would be the norm in DR as accident victims are rarely cared for correctly from scene to hospital, and with a long wait,, then to see the doctors who are also clueless, well, You get the picture. Broken bones aren't expensive to fix, I've had my leg reset at a public hospital and it's not expensive, even for the poor. Broken limbs that are not treated correctly in the first instance die, therefor cost doesn't even come into it.
Yes peoples limbs are ripped off at accidents, but I'm not even talking about the serious accidents, I'm talking basic stuff.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
The bullet went through my throat just below voice box, down and through top of right lung and stuck next to spine. I could speak perfectly after I was shot - until I lost consciousness. All of the air from shot lung filled my upper body known as subcutaneous emphysema ( I knew about that as a diving instructor) which made my face and neck balloon. As the chest cavity filled with blood and air, the other lung also collapsed. They did the tracheotomy above where the bullet entered rather than where they do it on the TV which is in the hollow of the throat. No idea if there was a medical reason for that or they hoped to find the bullet but yes they cut through the vocal chords. I now have a four inch tracheotomy scar above a pretty little star burst where the bullet entered. The tracheotomy enabled me to be bagged with oxygen (till it ran out in the ambulance) but it was the insertion of the chest drains which immediately allowed me to regain consciousness.

Matilda

Am I imagining this, are do i remember rightly. The guy who did this was out in a year or so?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Am I imagining this, are do i remember rightly. The guy who did this was out in a year or so?

Out in a week.Canadian girlfriend paid US1,000 and he was out. He killed a Canadian 3 months later. In for 30 years, out in a year as family paid this time RD$14,000.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Yes peoples limbs are ripped off at accidents, but I'm not even talking about the serious accidents, I'm talking basic stuff.

i was talking about accidents only. most common reasons for a loss of limbs here are accidents or diabetes. broken bones are expensive to treat if the injury is complicated, there is an open wound and so on. simple cracks are easy enough, i had all the bones in my foot broken once and it was easy peasy to treat.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Out in a week.Canadian girlfriend paid US1,000 and he was out. He killed a Canadian 3 months later. In for 30 years, out in a year as family paid this time RD$14,000.

I remember when the Canadian was murdered. He lived right behind me when I lived in JD. You lived just down the street from me. I am so glad I left JD when I did.
It got real dangerous when most of the A1's had closed. Drugs were getting bad in town too.
I am glad you got out of there also.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
yeah, but then, have you ever arrived to emergency unconscious and bleeding like a slaughtered animal?

No that's true but wouldn't you expect they would help a bleeding victim without prerequisites even more than someone who fainted (that bill was about 30,000 pesos).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
No that's true but wouldn't you expect they would help a bleeding victim without prerequisites even more than someone who fainted (that bill was about 30,000 pesos).

i would. but apparently it's not how it works here.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
i was talking about accidents only. most common reasons for a loss of limbs here are accidents or diabetes. broken bones are expensive to treat if the injury is complicated, there is an open wound and so on. simple cracks are easy enough, i had all the bones in my foot broken once and it was easy peasy to treat.

Yeh, so was I, and they can be complicated if not treated correctly, but not if treated correctly. Open fractures rarely result in amputation if treated correctly, which is the point I am making. In DR they don't and so become complicated and so are amputated.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Quick translation of some extracts of a letter from Dr. George F. Torres, a Dominican doctor who works in the US.

?I find it difficult to believe that a patient poly-traumatised after a car accident with five or six broken ribs, a collapsed lung, internal thoracic bleeding and breathing problems had to wait five and a half hours before being admitted to a medical centre after visiting three major hospitals that denied him admission, despite the above mentioned critical condition ? due to lack of surgeons or intensive care beds, and, in a more extreme case, for lack of a monetary deposit.?

He then asks why they didn?t administer chest drain or intervene surgically immediately, or implement anti-embolism measures to prevent deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism.

?I find it difficult to believe that this discredited, abusive and elitist health system has allowed a Hero of the Nation like Claudio Caama?o Grull?n to die through crass negligence and medical malpractice?

?I find it difficult to believe why the ?emergency system? that they are all bragging about had no effect whatsoever on the survival of a critically ill patient?

?I find it difficult to believe why the Dominican medical centres are allowed to be money generating tools instead of centres that care for and serve the sick population.
"I have to conclude that the real accident did not happen on the Bani-Pizarrete road, but the real cause of death is called Dominican Republic.?

http://www.listindiario.com/puntos-de-vista/2016/03/24/412915/yo-claudio-que-carta

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and i have supported my observations. please don't insult my intelligence by trying to sell me your views as facts.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
and i have supported my observations. please don't insult my intelligence by trying to sell me your views as facts.

Supported with the very thing you tend to consider useless, inaccurate and often the work of idiots, when it so fits your argument. Interesting hypocrisy, but not surprising come to think of it. :cheeky:

If you think that the amount of amputees around the Republic has nothing to do with lack of professional medical staff then that is fine, I will not insult your intelligence, you make a fine job of doing that yourself.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
This is a terribly shameful and sad story for the nation.
Finding quality medical care here is the exception an not the rule.
I understand that it's mostly attributed to a lack of resources and training
but I don't see any improvements even as people continue to suffer & die.

My condolences to the family. May he rest in peace.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Supported with the very thing you tend to consider useless, inaccurate and often the work of idiots, when it so fits your argument. Interesting hypocrisy, but not surprising come to think of it. :cheeky:

If you think that the amount of amputees around the Republic has nothing to do with lack of professional medical staff then that is fine, I will not insult your intelligence, you make a fine job of doing that yourself.

I think it's a combination of lack of medical expertise, lack of resources ( poor people with no medical insurance), frequency and severity of motorcycle accidents ( the cause of most of the injuries). Lots of people in casts and rods from simple compound fractures but in many cases these injured limbs are so severely damaged that it would indeed take specialized doctors (that aren't that available in most countries) to save or reattach. Infection is a factor everywhere.