Unacceptable loud music - Sosua Abajo

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Speaking about noise and loud music i would love if someone will explain this to me.

a while ago a bar near me had what they call a concert, they call it music, ok i cant disagree with their taste and music style, lasted until 4 AM, ok i dont mind

next week they gathered in a big space belong to the bar, now this is what is i wanna understand

so many cars and trucks and people everywhere, 5 big truck with huge speakers each playing different music, so what is this and how come they are enjoying.

i catches a cold the day before and been in bed, but couldnt stand this situation, my whole body was shaking from load music so i left to SD and came back late.

the only answer i get when i ask is "welcome to DR"

wish i have time and the ability to get huge speakers and play the type of music i like, i love celtic music, i wonder how they gonna react to that or to Spanish bagpipe music :)

main point here, dont complain just live with it.

i am still trying to understand the one where 10 guys line up side by side, in cars with ear splitting stereos, and all play different songs at the same time.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Good luck with that. Your best option is to move away. I sincerely hope that option is available to you.

From 3am, (I believe it 's the Salvation Church), the Christmas hymns have been 'pumping', I mean it's like the stereo in the house is on full and I'm 1/2 a mile away! It's impossible to sleep through it! This will continue until the New Year.
I know it's the time of the year but surely something can be done.
I haven't confronted the DJ/Pastor (it's hymns by record/cd - not a choir), I'm wondering who is the best person/group (Police/Illana/local residents) is to talk to in order to help resolve this matter. I truthfully think 1000's are affected by this music.

Any 'feedback' would be appreciated!

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I can explain that, the guys aren't conscious of other people or what's happening around them. It is a symptom of the same mentality behind backing your car straight out into oncoming traffic on a busy street when there is room to make a 3 point turn out of a parking lot, or ****ing all over a toilet seat instead of lifting it out of the way, or blasting through a pedestrian crosswalk where a woman with children and packages is trying to cross, or tossing garbage out a window (car or house). Happy Holidays.

i am still trying to understand the one where 10 guys line up side by side, in cars with ear splitting stereos, and all play different songs at the same time.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Dominicans are different than you and me. Do not try and understand them as it will only make you crazy. Besides if they were all like us it would be like New Jersey.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I can explain that, the guys aren't conscious of other people or what's happening around them. It is a symptom of the same mentality behind backing your car straight out into oncoming traffic on a busy street when there is room to make a 3 point turn out of a parking lot, or ****ing all over a toilet seat instead of lifting it out of the way, or blasting through a pedestrian crosswalk where a woman with children and packages is trying to cross, or tossing garbage out a window (car or house). Happy Holidays.

i know exactly what you are saying. just came back from the supermarket, where there was a huge crowd of last minute shoppers. it was fun to watch some 300 pound woman just standing with her cart blocking the entire aisle, while yammering on her cellphone. it was as if, as you say, she was just oblivious to the existence of anyone else. i could never figure that one out.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007

hahahahahaha

This was Poe Park in the late 70's and 80's.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Noise is a national problem, and people and government realize it, believe it or not. Unfortunately, the government has been lenient in applying the law, and people just have come to accept it. But it is a recognized problem… even the ear/eye doctors have alerted they are seeing more people with hearing problems…

Recognizing the problem and the government's failure to deal with it so far… The Medina administration recently announced that the very successful 911 will be on call to help residents -- starting in Santo Domingo -- deal with bothersome noise. In Santo Domingo, starting in January residents will be able to call 911 to get people to turn down the noise.

Here in Santo Domingo there are many places that blast noise. In front of my building a Christian Church is under construction… will we have noise problems soon?… they will have to keep the noise inside, which is what the law says. Will see how this works out with the Church next year. A prominent TV person lives in the house next door to the church.

It will be interesting to see how 911 contributes to breaking the myth that noise is a Dominican thing.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Noise is a national problem, and people and government realize it, believe it or not. Unfortunately, the government has been lenient in applying the law, and people just have come to accept it. But it is a recognized problem… even the ear/eye doctors have alerted they are seeing more people with hearing problems…

Recognizing the problem and the government's failure to deal with it so far… The Medina administration recently announced that the very successful 911 will be on call to help residents -- starting in Santo Domingo -- deal with bothersome noise. In Santo Domingo, starting in January residents will be able to call 911 to get people to turn down the noise.

Here in Santo Domingo there are many places that blast noise. In front of my building a Christian Church is under construction… will we have noise problems soon?… they will have to keep the noise inside, which is what the law says. Will see how this works out with the Church next year. A prominent TV person lives in the house next door to the church.

It will be interesting to see how 911 contributes to breaking the myth that noise is a Dominican thing.

it is no myth. it is a Dominican thing. it may be a part of other cultures, but gratuitous noise is central to the rank and file culture here. what makes me say that is that in 25 years of familiarity with this country, i have never heard a parent tell his or her noisy kid to tone it down. never. i once was in my apartment and this kid took a seat on the sidewalk below my window, and he just proceeded to beat on an old empty paint pan with a stick for what seemed like an eternity. no rhyme, no reason, just making a racket. i finally could stand it no more, so i went downstairs and asked him if he would tone it down. the guy just gave me a perplexed look, as if to say 'tone what down?' the onlookers looked mystified, as if i had make the most unreasonable of requests. i guess it did not bother them in the least.

of course Dominicans have hearing problems. all scientific research points to the reality that chronic noise impairs the hearing. so does acute and sporadic noise. we have all of those in abundance.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
noise, and lots of it

Prohibiting excessive noise would help avoid hearing problems. Instead, the prevailing practice to counteract permanent hearing loss is to yell rather than speak. It was suggested that high levels of ambient noise in the Dominican Republic and Dominican culture is a myth. I see it differently, evidence shows the government's (all of them, not just Danilo) willinginess or interest in doing anything about it unless there is personal financial or political gain is the real myth.

it is no myth. it is a Dominican thing. it may be a part of other cultures, but gratuitous noise is central to the rank and file culture here. what makes me say that is that in 25 years of familiarity with this country, i have never heard a parent tell his or her noisy kid to tone it down. never. i once was in my apartment and this kid took a seat on the sidewalk below my window, and he just proceeded to beat on an old empty paint pan with a stick for what seemed like an eternity. no rhyme, no reason, just making a racket. i finally could stand it no more, so i went downstairs and asked him if he would tone it down. the guy just gave me a perplexed look, as if to say 'tone what down?' the onlookers looked mystified, as if i had make the most unreasonable of requests. i guess it did not bother them in the least.

of course Dominicans have hearing problems. all scientific research points to the reality that chronic noise impairs the hearing. so does acute and sporadic noise. we have all of those in abundance.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Prohibiting excessive noise would help avoid hearing problems. Instead, the prevailing practice to counteract permanent hearing loss is to yell rather than speak. It was suggested that high levels of ambient noise in the Dominican Republic and Dominican culture is a myth. I see it differently, evidence shows the government's (all of them, not just Danilo) willinginess or interest in doing anything about it unless there is personal financial or political gain is the real myth.

absolutely correct in your first posting. i can stay in my bedroom and hear the conversations in the apartments across the street with consummate ease. a guy parked in the lot across the street one day, and his music was so loud that i had to look to see what was going on. he was in his SUV waiting for some girl to come out, and as i looked at the car i saw a kid in the front seat who could not have been more than 3 years old. by the time that kid is 10, her will be close to being deaf.

if a cop in the USA had seen this event, he would be facing some possible legal interventions.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I agree that the 'unacceptable' loud music is problematic

but the tight clothing on women is what I find most 'unacceptable'

I was more/less normal before moving here
Now, I am a Marty Feldman lookalike

I just need a day or two of normalcy to reset my orbs.... from looking at too many orbs...

Oh, stop it already. You'd probably b!tch if we hung you with a new rope.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Actually, my vecino's music is better than mine....

I turn mine off when theirs goes on...... especially this time of year

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
This is a latino thing IMO, although, I think Dominicans have the market cornered. I have two neighbors, Puerto Rican, and Cubano. The Boricuas sometime keep me up till the wee hours with their music, but typically only on the weekends. The Cobano will be out on his patio in the evening talking in the 85db range to someone who is sitting two feet from him. Something I never could fathom.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Not going to respond to a quote, but people singing and banging on pots or whatever at 2 or 3 in the morning has gone on three night in a row in the barrio where we live in Puerto Plata. We get woken up, relieve ourselves, and go back to sleep understanding this tradition. Like they say in the US, love it or leave it. It is rude, obnoxious, and a pain in mi culo, but it's their country, and not mine.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This is a latino thing IMO, although, I think Dominicans have the market cornered. I have two neighbors, Puerto Rican, and Cubano. The Boricuas sometime keep me up till the wee hours with their music, but typically only on the weekends. The Cobano will be out on his patio in the evening talking in the 85db range to someone who is sitting two feet from him. Something I never could fathom.

ever watch one of these panel tv shows here? all the guys are talking at the same time, at the top of their lungs? do you think that any of them knows what the other guy said?

do you think they care?