Unauthorized firecracker show causes tragedy in Salcedo

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Carnaval-Salcedo-tragedia-Listin-Diario-760x1024.jpeg

18 persons suffered burns when fireworks went off and the carnival outfits of those nearby caught on fire. First Lady Raquel Arbaje has taken a personal interest and says the government will cover all costs for the recovery of the injured in the Sunday, 10 March 2024 Salcedo carnival day tragedy.

On Monday, the public health system reported that 10 children and three adults were hospitalized with serious burns.

The authorities had not authorized fireworks to entertain crowds. Nevertheless, fireworks were there. “There was no type of permit and the use of fireworks was not contemplated,” confirmed Salcedo Mayor Maria Mercedes Ortiz. She told the press that all efforts are now concentrated on the recovery of the burned.

Six of 10 burned children were taken to the Santiago Arturo Grullon Pediatrics hospital. The director of the hospital’s burns unit, Dr. Alexis...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
They need to find the person who took the fireworks there.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I'm guessing here, but I believe this is an example of the DR having laws on the books that are never enforced. Then, when a tragedy occurs as a result of breaking the law, everyone wrings their hands and tsks tsks.

I'm truly sorry the kids got burned and I know that it's excruciatingly painful. However those are risks that the adults take daily and knowingly.