under the bridge

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
NALS, my fearless moderator/leader

If a response takes more than a few lines for important , vital issues................
then you may be reaching

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I did noticed that and what you did is usually referred to as sensationalist. What happens to people when they see sensational stories? They blow things out of proportion and begin to make erroneous assumptions. The data puts everything within context.

don't put it on me, girl, as courtney stodden would say. note i posted the introduction (this is how poorest of the poor live), link and a short translation of what was being written and said in the video. newspapers in DR are sensationalist a plenty but it's usually with long, repeated stories like teen pregnancy and other subjects that can be milked in a series of articles, possibly written by few different people and maybe touching slightly different sides of the subject (like: punishment plan for those who impregnate teens; a story of an impregnated teen; a story about health implications; obligatory commentary from the cardinals and so on).

the truly sad and tragic stories like this one rarely make it into front pages and almost never see any continued interest. last heart breaking story in diario libre that i remember was about some mentally ill homeless guy who's been set on fire, and that was weeks, if not moths ago.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Here is my advice regarding beggars to make sure your precious RD10 is not abused: if the person looks skinny it's probably because they don't eat a lot so it should be ok to part with that small fortune. :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
this is my sarcastic take on a real american business called rent-a-midget. does exactly what is says. i filed it under: things that exists.

Here's a true story.

NYC, upper east side - high 60's, low 70's- around Christmas time - on Madison

My family is walking and a beggar asks for $$ -- **** off
Half hour later, same guy, still doing it but forgets he bumped into us earlier.

To look at him, you know he 's not destitute -- skin's good, eyes clear, hair =messy but clean
he's faking it -- clearly

Was he doing it for fun?
was he unemployed and needed help?

I couldn't figure it out.... but the antennae told me that he would be driving himself home.... maybe in a Cadillac
Not a "Deed in Need" candidate

Fellow went up/down that high priced street most of the day...
Never stopped me again after the second "miss"

Life can be cruel...... sometimes , you need to act accordingly......... less so in RD, but still...

I don't get out much any more........

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
don't put it on me, girl, as courtney stodden would say. note i posted the introduction (this is how poorest of the poor live), link and a short translation of what was being written and said in the video. newspapers in DR are sensationalist a plenty but it's usually with long, repeated stories like teen pregnancy and other subjects that can be milked in a series of articles, possibly written by few different people and maybe touching slightly different sides of the subject (like: punishment plan for those who impregnate teens; a story of an impregnated teen; a story about health implications; obligatory commentary from the cardinals and so on).

the truly sad and tragic stories like this one rarely make it into front pages and almost never see any continued interest. last heart breaking story in diario libre that i remember was about some mentally ill homeless guy who's been set on fire, and that was weeks, if not moths ago.
Politics, crime, major world events, and sports is what moves the papers.

The Pellerano's have hired some of the best people in the Dominican newspaper/magazine business. Sensationalism is not just the story, its the full package including the vivid colors they used in the fonts, the types of photos, etc. That's how they became the number one newspaper in the country in literally less than 3 years. 100% of their magazines are geared to the ABC crowd and guess what, these magazines are also among the more successful ones in the market. Those people thought of everything, even their websites are addictive to just look at, never mind the content.

Have you ever checked what the going rates are for a small advertising space in any of their newspapers? If not, check it out. You'll be shocked.

But, you did bring that story here, so you're responsible for the sensationalizing effect its having on some people. And the one's that post are always less than the lurkers...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Politics, crime, major world events, and sports is what moves the papers.

The Pellerano's have hired some of the best people in the Dominican newspaper/magazine business. Sensationalism is not just the story, its the full package including the vivid colors they used in the fonts, the types of photos, etc. That's how they became the number one newspaper in the country in literally less than 3 years. 100% of their magazines are geared to the ABC crowd and guess what, these magazines are also among the more successful ones in the market. Those people thought of everything, even their websites are addictive to just look at, never mind the content.

Have you ever checked what the going rates are for a small advertising space in any of their newspapers? If not, check it out. You'll be shocked.

But, you did bring that story here, so you're responsible for the sensationalizing effect its having on some people. And the one's that post are always less than the lurkers...

Please pass the whitewash..... I need to repaint my swimming pool

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

fine, have it your way, guilty as charged. i report news and as i side job i also put thoughts in people's heads. one day i am gonna profit from that somehow, i just know it.

who are pellerano's? i read news only, any crap from social section is just the gallery of alike, fat, shiny, smiley faces of people i do not care about.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
...its the full package including the vivid colors they used in the fonts, the types of photos, etc.

Like 1,000's of other websites. They didn't invent anything, they just copied what works.

dv8 posted a link to a story, simple!
She didn't sensationalize it or is responsible for how others interpret or in your case, spin it.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
fine, have it your way, guilty as charged. i report news and as i side job i also put thoughts in people's heads. one day i am gonna profit from that somehow, i just know it.
OK DV8, you didn't posted anything. This thread doesn't exist, all the people reacting and posting here haven't done so, its all a dream... :smoke:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
OK DV8, you didn't posted anything. This thread doesn't exist, all the people reacting and posting here haven't done so, its all a dream... :smoke:

like, totally.

2yvrj9u.gif

Aug 21, 2007
Here is my advice regarding beggars to make sure your precious RD10 is not abused: if the person looks skinny it's probably because they don't eat a lot so it should be ok to part with that small fortune. :)

This is what I recommend. Don't give money. Go to the grocery. But 5 lbs of rice, 2 lbs of beans, 1 very small bottle of cheap cooking oil, 1 small tin tomato paste, and 3 tins sardines. This will cost you about 400 pesos. Keep this bag of food in your car. Begin being observant as you drive. You will start to discriminate between those in extreme poverty and the others. When you see someone truly in need, stop, give them the bag of food, say nothing, and drive off.

Doing this, you become part of the solution. It's not much. We can't help them all and we won't erase poverty. Be we can help one, once in awhile.

In my work, I go directly to where the poor live. Not everyone can or wants to do that. But you can randomly help just one. And in helping them, you will help yourself, too.

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
This is what I recommend. Don't give money. Go to the grocery. But 5 lbs of rice, 2 lbs of beans, 1 very small bottle of cheap cooking oil, 1 small tin tomato paste, and 3 tins sardines. This will cost you about 400 pesos. Keep this bag of food in your car. Begin being observant as you drive. You will start to discriminate between those in extreme poverty and the others. When you see someone truly in need, stop, give them the bag of food, say nothing, and drive off.

Doing this, you become part of the solution. It's not much. We can't help them all and we won't erase poverty. Be we can help one, once in awhile.

In my work, I go directly to where the poor live. Not everyone can or wants to do that. But you can randomly help just one. And in helping them, you will help yourself, too.

Lindsey

Forgot to mention that this food package will feed a family of 4 for a week. They may not know you, but they will never forget you.

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
I appreciate your kinds words, AlterEgo, but this isn't about me. It's about them. We don't have to feel victimized by beggars along the street. The few times I put down my car window and gave money to a begger, I felt a bit resentful. After time, I realized that I have the power to take charge, to intelligently decide who will receive my help and, for those truly in need, to help as I know best, by giving food. If those in extreme poverty are at our mercy, then we should respond wisely.

Lindsey

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
You have the right idea Lindsey! I was in Montellano yesterday and saw a women in a small building working with children, no name for the little school, no real supplies.......went to the dollar store and bought school supplies and took them....oh the tears of joy from all of us! and the smiles on the little ones faces drawing with new whole crayons!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well Lindsey, I'm a jaded New Yorker by birth, one who naturally developed the ability to not even see the beggars in Manhattan. They were invisible to me. I'm not proud of that, it's just the way it is, a coping mechanism. I vividly remember walking down 29th Street to my office when I was in my 20s, and a man was sprawled across the sidewalk, his head in the gutter. Like everyone in front of me, I didn't even break my stride, just stepped over him and kept walking. That day when I got to work, it hit me what I had done, not even knowing if he was dead or alive, and it shook me up. I don't know how things are now in Manhattan, but back then those who stopped to help or get involved were kind of pitied. Thus the 'jaded' comment.

So when I got to DR, it took some time for me to care. I think the main difference for me is that there is help in the US if someone needs it, and hey, it's not my fault if they don't go get it. In DR, things are different, there is no one to help. No one cares. it's what changed me from that girl who stepped over a man on 29th Street into the woman who packs box after box of 'stuff' to give away. I've never done the random food, but I reallllly like that idea. We've done the random clothing though, last year I think we handed out over 100 new baseball caps. This year someone is donating cases of school supplies and backpacks, and he will even help us pay for the shipping. We'll go see the principal of the campo school where we live when we get there, and ask to hand them out directly so they get to the kids and none are 'diverted'.

This time of year is summer clearance in stores, $.50 shorts in Old Navy, etc. Stock up time to give away. People who know us in NJ also give us things to bring down. Someone gave me a huge shopping bag full of rubber flip-flops, maybe 50 pair, leftover inventory. (I've seen men wearing homemade flip flops in the campo, made with cut out cardboard and rope.)

So, we all do what we can. Some, like you, more than others - but I'll bet that you've been an inspiration to several people here on DR1, and at least one of them will help someone with a bag of food in the near future.