under the bridge

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I think after living here for awhile kind of "jades" you. You see scams, etc... So when you see people begging for money it is easy to walk away. For me I agree a bag of food goes along way as opposed to the 10-50 pesos that will probably just buy today's rum fix. While it is sad to see some of the living conditions that people live in it does make you wonder if they just made a little effort in "clean-up" then the situation may not be so dire. Just a little effort can change your surroundings and/or situation. I think some people may just give up and accept the situation instead of using a little effort to change it even if it is a small change, it is still a change.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I personally think after living here one appreciates how important how family and a social society is. Yes there are scams here but on a much smaller scale than say in the US.

As far as dealing with beggars, what's spending a few pesos going to hurt? As far as "repeated offenders" go, generally a conversation about why there are in this situation generally will weed out the scamsters, at least in my experience. I don't consider it a scam when a person is apparently malnourished is asking for a few pesitos to eat something.

Finally, after living here for a few years I have come to appreciate that there are so many generous people here, even very poor ones by Western standards.

Aug 21, 2007
I don't know.....in areas where I go, pueblos in extreme poverty, I don't see trash except on the perimeter. Where their homes (squalid shacks) are, it is clean. Yes, it smells of urine, but the dirt around the homes, one within inches of the other, is clean. They live in such close quarters- and I don't imagine there is trash pickup, as I can't even drive my car there- what should they do with the waste, plastics, tin cans, garbage? Perhaps that is the explanation of the trash on the perimeters.....it's where the garbage truck passes. I do know that every little thing of use, plastic bags, containers of any sort, even bones (from the few occasions when chicken or meat can be purchased), finds a purpose, as there is no money to buy such things.

I have done this type of work for about 15 years, here and in Africa. When I first started, I had all the answers, as I thought I knew best. Now, I have only questions and compassion. The more I experience, the less I know.

Lindsey

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As someone who has lived among Dominicans in the campo without power, nice clothes or even shoes I see a disconnect between Western perceptive and reality. A Westerner sees that many Dominicans don't have many if any first world services, and few new clothes and think they are impoverished. The fact is real poverty here is not having a place to sleep and sufficient food to eat.

Furthermore, while many Dominicans have little material possessions, this can be advantageous in that they don't have as many concerns. No wonder they are so much happier than Westerners and commit suicide much less. We can learn a lot from Dominicans, I know I have.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
No wonder they are so much happier than Westerners and commit suicide much less. We can learn a lot from Dominicans, I know I have.

DR1- Daily News - Thursday, 29 August 2013

Alarming increase in suicides

According to the Minister of Interior and Police Jose Ramon Fadul, the number of suicides in the country has shown an alarming increase, with a record number of 298 in the first half of 2013, whereas in 2011 in the same time period there were 53. By the end of 2011 there were 633 suicides and during 2012 there were 641.

In an interview at the Presidential Palace he said that he was concerned that the rate of suicides was increasing and that the causes needed to be analyzed although they knew that some of the motivations were social conflict, emotional problems, and problems within the family.

Fadul said that the fundamental reasons that people turned to crime were economic factors, lack of education, drugs, unemployment and other social factors.

He also said there had been an increase in traffic accident deaths.

Revelan alarmante cifra de 298 suicidios este a?o en RD*

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
DR1- Daily News - Thursday, 29 August 2013

Alarming increase in suicides

According to the Minister of Interior and Police Jose Ramon Fadul, the number of suicides in the country has shown an alarming increase, with a record number of 298 in the first half of 2013, whereas in 2011 in the same time period there were 53. By the end of 2011 there were 633 suicides and during 2012 there were 641.

In an interview at the Presidential Palace he said that he was concerned that the rate of suicides was increasing and that the causes needed to be analyzed although they knew that some of the motivations were social conflict, emotional problems, and problems within the family.

Fadul said that the fundamental reasons that people turned to crime were economic factors, lack of education, drugs, unemployment and other social factors.

He also said there had been an increase in traffic accident deaths.

Revelan alarmante cifra de 298 suicidios este a?o en RD*

We already discussed this. The rate is still almost half that of the US Don.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Given the size of the DR compared to the US I would say the rate for the DR is alarming.