Unicef: It’s tough to be a girl in the Dominican Republic

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Ninas-dominicanas-Hoy-1024x683.jpg

United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (Unicef) presented on occasion of the International Day of the Girl on Monday, 11 October 2021 the grim situation of young girls in the Dominican Republic.

Rosa Elcarte Lopez, representative for Unicef in the Dominican Republic, spoke during the event marking the International Day of the Girl on the findings of a recent Unicef study that show in the Dominican Republic only 56% of children live with their both parents, and 26% live only with their mother. The same study reveals that only 10% of parents get involved with games and activities of their children under five years old in the Dominican Republic.

A new law was passed banning child marriage, but sexual abuse stories continue to happen every day. The courts have yet to sentence the first person for violating of the child marriage law. In the Dominican Republic...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sailor51

2021 fashion statement
Oct 30, 2018
It's extremely difficult to alter peoples attitude about life. Then again, as Ron White said ... "You can't fix stupid"

CristoRey

Silver
Apr 1, 2014
I've said it before.
It's going to take more than a few new laws to change decades of culture.
There is a nice couple here in my neighborhood who've been married for about 6 years. The women is 19 and the husband is around 70. From what I've been told, she was cherry picked off of a farm up near Tubagua. No one around here bats an eye lash at them. Child marraige is part of (be it a negative) their culture. Sad but they've no one to blame but each other and I don't expect it to change anytime soon.