Unification of the DR & Central America

Do you think the DR unifying with Central America is the right decision?

• Total voters

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
To be honest I don't think that the US would be happy that countries in the vecinity would come up with a new currency, most business dealings are done in US$.
The US wouldn't care. They certainly don't care if the DR is in pesos. US business uses dollars, period.

Mar 1, 2009
The union won't work. It can't work. Either we would have to be in charge if the tira flechas or they would have to be in charge of us. And we ALL like to be el jefe. There was already a central american confederacy and it went down in flames. History repeats itself for a reason. Europe has been Almost united many times and it always falls apart. Its coming apart now!!! The Brits know this so they kept their money OUT!!! DRCAFTA big mistake, bilateral agreements would have been much better but; oh well. DR must keep loose alliances its much more beneficial to this island nation. Haiti, we don't like you but were stuck with you so let's just get it over with. So cover your eyes and open your legs, it'll hurt at first but....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The union won't work. It can't work. Either we would have to be in charge if the tira flechas or they would have to be in charge of us. And we ALL like to be el jefe. There was already a central american confederacy and it went down in flames. History repeats itself for a reason. Europe has been Almost united many times and it always falls apart. Its coming apart now!!! The Brits know this so they kept their money OUT!!! DRCAFTA big mistake, bilateral agreements would have been much better but; oh well. DR must keep loose alliances its much more beneficial to this island nation. Haiti, we don't like you but were stuck with you so let's just get it over with. So cover your eyes and open your legs, it'll hurt at first but....

this idea of uniting regional countries is nothing new. the english speaking members of the antilles tried it at the beginning of the 60s, and it was shot down , mainly because of Sir Alexander Bustamante of Jamaica, and the referendum/election in 1960, i believe. look, if we cannot get the islands of the Caribbean, and the Central American countries to sign the MARPOL protocols, designed to protect the area from ocean vandalism by way of dumping toxic and polluting wastes in the oceans of the caribbean, how in God's name can they be expected to engage in a far reaching federation? the english countries had a headstart, in that they were already members of a larger entity, the Commonwealth. look where that got them.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I don't know why you're injecting Haiti into this. Its definitely not the same.

Despite Dominican wages being considerably higher than the average in Central America, the price of a typical airplane ticket to either Panama or San Jos? (the only Central American cities with direct connections to the DR) is so high, it almost guarantees that a flood of dirt poor people coming into the DR will not materialize. Not so the case with Haiti. Despite the migration problems with Haiti, if some sort of unification was to take place, it will only serve as an incentive for even a greater influx. Completely unacceptable.

On the other hand, Central America offers quite an attractive consuming market for many Dominican products. There have been some complaints regarding the negative trade balance the DR has with every single Central American country, but that is mostly due to those economies being much smaller than the DRs. We have roughly 4 million people in the middle class alone, that's more than the entire population of many countries in CA.

For example, recently Dominican companies exported goods to the tune of some US$20 million to Costa Rica while Costa Rican companies made US$200 million from the DR. That caused an uproar in certain circles, while almost no one noted that Costa Rica has a total population of some 3-4 million people, so of course Dominican companies will sell less there than Costa Rican companies are able to sell in the Dominican market. Just our middle class has around 4 million people vs Costa Rica 3-4 million rich/middle/poor total.

Also, as was explained in one of the videos, much of what has been occurring is switching suppliers of products that previously were imported from more expensive sources to cheaper Central American countries. In the end, the Dominican consumer wins greatly by being able to buy the same products for less. And Dominican companies now have access most Central American markets as well.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Maybe the DR should start by uniting with Cuba.
That's almost the same as wishing for the DR to unite with Haiti.

Since the 1990s the DR has become a preferred destination for Cuban immigrants, and many of them have done so via Haiti and the Haitian border. The last thing we need is for that to rise to uncontrollable levels, especially if the less desirable segments gets into the habit.

Thanks but no thanks.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here is the title of an article and an interesting photo published today in the Spanish newspaper EL PAIS:

Obama Managed to Unite Central America... In a Photo

1368041409_517687_1368042700_noticia_grande.jpg

From left to right:

Ricardo Martinelli (Panama)
Porfirio Lobo (Honduras)
Mauricio Funes (El Salvador)
Barack Obama
Laura Chinchilla (Costa Rica)
Dean Barrow (Belize)
Otto Perez (Guatemala)
Daniel Ortega (Nicaragua)
Danilo Medina (Dominican Republic)

This photo was taken in Costa Rica where the leaders of all the Central American countries met with Barack Obama and expressed their concerns and expectations of the relationship with USA and the role of this country in the region.

Obama logr? unir a Centroam?rica

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
That's almost the same as wishing for the DR to unite with Haiti.

Since the 1990s the DR has become a preferred destination for Cuban immigrants, and many of them have done so via Haiti and the Haitian border. The last thing we need is for that to rise to uncontrollable levels, especially if the less desirable segments gets into the habit.

Thanks but no thanks.
i wad going to say good luck with that one..

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Did anyone noticed Dean Barrow in the photo?

Mar 1, 2009
I mentioned Haiti because we have no choice in the matter, we are on the same island. Their is a market for our goods there and there labor here. We already have a common market. THATS why I mentioned it, if your to blind to see it bro, that's your problem. Cuba once it opens up will dominate the Caribbean, it was in an article in the Miami Herald long ago. It was written by some Jamaican dude, he said "Cuba is da Supapowa of da Carribean". He actually wrote it in perfect English. I took the liberty of adding the "da"s.
The Haitians in DR, will be pressuring for more inclusion, more links with Haiti, more language rights and we'll have people like MountainAnnie and Chirimoya saying, why you evil, wicked Dominican's why don't you let them have all the freedom here"???
Your all just as black as they are, you should all love each other, poo poo.
So back to the topic.
DR and Central America, nope it won't work. We're too far away and they aren't really interested.
Plus what is this I hear about Brasil not wanting anymore Haitian immigrants?
No impossible, why would anyone refuse having these wonderfully colorful, hardworking and inventive people who unzip their pants and **** in any corner visible to all???
No, no no these darlings must be welcomed at all and any costs.
Bonsoir!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Lando Calrisian said:
DR and Central America, nope it won't work. We're too far away and they aren't really interested.
The only problem I have with your statement is that doesn’t coincides with reality. Even Haiti has been invited to join the PARLACEN: Hait? invitado al Parlacen

I have always suspected that the general pro-Haitian attitude many DR1ers obviously have is based solely on racial reasons.

Anyway, here is an interesting interview in Spanish (its 3 videos, so there will be 2 more video posts following this one) that was done in 2012 to the then President of Parlacen, Mr. Manolo Pichardo. This Dominican was voted as President by all the other members states of Parlacen, which shows they are not as racist as some DR1ers. The guy with the fully gray head is ex-Vice President of Guatemala and currently represents that country in the Parlacen.

The interview took place in Santo Domingo.

[video=youtube;VlZ-5QNn57w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlZ-5QNn57w[/video]

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Second part:

[video=youtube;ycXZobP45DI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycXZobP45DI[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The third and last part:

[video=youtube;9d-0Jv48xPM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d-0Jv48xPM[/video]

Parlacen is a reality much to the dismay of some DR1ers that apparently are quite racist in their way of thinking.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
SO, not having necessarily read all of the foregoing posts in order, what is Parlacen?
In short, the Central American version of the European Union. Parlacen is a regional parliament composed by all countries in Central America that have been invited to join and accepted the invitation. Since many of the economic/social/political problems that affect all these nations are practically the same, they are attempting to find solutions to them via integrationist policies. In the economic sense, they are looking for ways of cheapening the cost of doing business and selling products in order to give the populations of each country a greater purchasing power.

For example, here is a video that was done by an amateur of San Pedro Sula, one of the two most important cities in Honduras. Notice that the creator of the video decided to put a song of the most popular musical genre that in recent years has taken over Honduras:

[video=youtube;rHlGAbnzb-Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHlGAbnzb-Q[/video]

That music genre has become so popular in Honduras that many foreigners are mistaking it as Honduran. Unbelievable!

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
The Haitians in DR, will be pressuring for more inclusion, more links with Haiti, more language rights and we'll have people like MountainAnnie and Chirimoya saying, why you evil, wicked Dominican's why don't you let them have all the freedom here"???
Your all just as black as they are, you should all love each other, poo poo.

Everybody derided him when he wrote about this, but it seems more and more evident everyday that Manuel N??ez' doomsday scenario (on his book "El Ocaso de la Naci?n Dominicana") for the DR is becoming a reality. On that book, he predicted that, if the Dominican nation didn't make a "golpe de tim?n" and changed the trend, the population's linguistical outlook in one or two generations would be of an English speaking elite on top, while the rest of the masses would be Kreyol speaking (or "Kreo?ol" speaking at a minimum). Not a good prospect for national cohesion at all.:(

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Everybody derided him when he wrote about this, but it seems more and more evident everyday that Manuel N??ez' doomsday scenario (on his book "El Ocaso de la Naci?n Dominicana") for the DR is becoming a reality. On that book, he predicted that, if the Dominican nation didn't make a "golpe de tim?n" and changed the trend, the population's linguistical outlook in one or two generations would be of an English speaking elite on top, while the rest of the masses would be Kreyol speaking (or "Kreo?ol" speaking at a minimum). Not a good prospect for national cohesion at all.:(
I don't really see this happening any time soon, but there definitely is a trend. Its quite disheartening when considering that Dominicans are distant cousins of many Spanish-speaking peoples, especially on the paternal lineage; and descend from some of the oldest Spanish lineages in the Western Hemisphere.

This list of the countries of origin of genetically verified cousinship is my own based on my own DNA, but from what I've seen this is quite a typical list for Dominicans:

30323405.jpg

In my case, with the exception of Portugal, all the countries where I have confirmed distant cousins are pretty much Spanish-speaking. Its this type of information that a certain group of people don't like and they simply pretend its not true in order to continue to push their agenda.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012

........minus Costa Rica and Panama.
Why?
Is it because they are so-called "haves" while the others are the "have-nots".
Is that why they have no interest.
If so, that in itself, would be a pretty good reason to tread carefully. No?
My question is pure curiosity.
I know less than nothing about this possible partnership.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Costa Rica is currently suffering a massive illegal immigration wave from Nicaragua. Panama is the most well off country on the isthmus as well. Both of them are quite "cheaply" and easily accessible from the rest of the isthmus.

The DR is also much more well off than most countries on the isthmus (I think Panama is the only that is slightly ahead) and average Dominican wages are also higher. The best advantage we have is that the DR is the most expensive country to migrate to and that is a natural barrier that neither Costa Rica or Panama has.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Economic Snapshot of the Area & Comparison with Select Areas

Dominican economy accounts for almost 20% of Central America & the Caribbean’s economy*, 52% of the Caribbean’s economy* and 88% of Santo Domingo (island.) It’s also the equivalent of 31% of the Central American economy.

Size of the Economies (in billions)

Central America $327
Caribbean $197,5*
Dominican Republic $102,66
Guatemala $82,6
Panama $63,2
Costa Rica $62,3
El Salvador $47,8
Honduras $39,7
Nicaragua $28,2
Haiti $14
Belize $3,1

Central America + Caribbean*: $524,5 billion

National/Regional Average Wealth & Purchasing Power

Panama $16.993,8
Costa Rica $13.206
Dominican Republic $9.845,6
Belize $8.963,6
El Salvador $7.648,2
Caribbean $7.575,5*
Third World $7.415,2*
Central America $7.271,4
Guatemala $5.335,9
Honduras $4.741,2
Nicaragua $4.641,6
Sub-Saharan Africa $2.577,4
Haiti $1.358,1

* Excludes territories/colonies and Cuba.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
........minus Costa Rica and Panama.
Why?
Is it because they are so-called "haves" while the others are the "have-nots".
Is that why they have no interest.
If so, that in itself, would be a pretty good reason to tread carefully. No?
My question is pure curiosity.
I know less than nothing about this possible partnership.

Panama uses the US Dollar as their currency. Panama also has the canal. I think a lot of things could leave panama going north but not sure how much is coming into Panama from Central America. Panama is pretty big on people retiring there giving them tax breaks on property taxes, easier and cheaper to import there, etc.