URGENT help of the community needed

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I cannot understand anyone bringing 260 cats to a hot and humid Island. That is animal cruelty right there. You have to wonder why? They could not be all pets, that's insane. At first I thought maybe they tried to help all the starving animals already in the DR and got themselves into a jam by doing so but I can't imagine anyone in their right mind bringing 260 cats into the country and not giving any thought as to the cost of feeding and caring for these innocent animals.

God bless those of you that are helping out.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
Here in the US we call this kind of behavior "animal hoarding". Usually it starts out with someone who means well and loves animals, but gets in over their heads and soon the animals and the human are living in squalor. Hoarding is illegal here and if you are caught doing it you're not allowed to own a pet again. Obviously, it's hard to enforce this, and even though there are animal cruelty/neglect laws in the US no one really cares, the jail time given out is pitiful when compared to lesser crimes, and it's basically a losing battle. Thank GOD for Judy and AAAS. This woman and her organization give me hope for humanity. This thread had me in tears before I read that she had stepped in. I'm poor as ****, but I'll donate some of my meager income to AAA Sosua. I can't think of a more worthy cause.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Thanks for helping!

Here in the US we call this kind of behavior "animal hoarding". Usually it starts out with someone who means well and loves animals, but gets in over their heads and soon the animals and the human are living in squalor. Hoarding is illegal here and if you are caught doing it you're not allowed to own a pet again. Obviously, it's hard to enforce this, and even though there are animal cruelty/neglect laws in the US no one really cares, the jail time given out is pitiful when compared to lesser crimes, and it's basically a losing battle. Thank GOD for Judy and AAAS. This woman and her organization give me hope for humanity. This thread had me in tears before I read that she had stepped in. I'm poor as ****, but I'll donate some of my meager income to AAA Sosua. I can't think of a more worthy cause.

We, my wife and self, are not the designated spokes persons for AAAS ousa. People come and go and some things are not always covered.

We are just volunteers that do what we can and helping as we can and where we can. We have been doing this, along with a few others, for some time. Some for over 10 years. All is welcomed and appreciated.

I find it rather ???. That so many people like to express their outrage and what should be done without ever doing anything. We do see this in contributions or adoptions.. Or better said the lack of. We note that these threads do very little if anything. All talk and NO action. But some DO want to help so we keep posting.

AAASosua and the volunteers have made a difference more then most know. An example being this thread and what they HAVE done and it has been amazing.

So to Emily. I thank you for what ever you have sent and know that it will be put to good work.

Thanks.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
We, my wife and self, are not the designated spokes persons for AAAS ousa. People come and go and some things are not always covered.

We are just volunteers that do what we can and helping as we can and where we can. We have been doing this, along with a few others, for some time. Some for over 10 years. All is welcomed and appreciated.

I find it rather ???. That so many people like to express their outrage and what should be done without ever doing anything. We do see this in contributions or adoptions.. Or better said the lack of. We note that these threads do very little if anything. All talk and NO action. But some DO want to help so we keep posting.

AAASosua and the volunteers have made a difference more then most know. An example being this thread and what they HAVE done and it has been amazing.

So to Emily. I thank you for what ever you have sent and know that it will be put to good work.

Thanks.

I think that perhaps you mistook shock for outrage....

at least on my part

it is shocking to me that someone could arrive here with 260 cats and be thought of anything but a complete nut job

do not think that anyone would have anything but kind words to say about those of us who help strays and street dogs.....

isabellewells

Nov 5, 2010
Now have a little compassion!!

Just looked at the message and the answers. I hope you are kidding on the shooting situation. Surely hope so. We have the same problem in the State and it comes right from the spaying and neuteuring ABC. If you have an animal you should fix it especially in the DR, and especially with the cats. It is true that all those dogs and cats won't probably be saved. but instead of talking about it what don't somebody does something about it. We do have the same problem here and some vets and clinic actually and residents are part of the solution. Shooting is not an option, for anything.
You probably won't like what I said but I am part of the solution here and feel like I am doing something. Good luck

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Just looked at the message and the answers. I hope you are kidding on the shooting situation. Surely hope so. We have the same problem in the State and it comes right from the spaying and neuteuring ABC. If you have an animal you should fix it especially in the DR, and especially with the cats. It is true that all those dogs and cats won't probably be saved. but instead of talking about it what don't somebody does something about it. We do have the same problem here and some vets and clinic actually and residents are part of the solution. Shooting is not an option, for anything.
You probably won't like what I said but I am part of the solution here and feel like I am doing something. Good luck

You would not beleive the amount of compassion for stray and hapless animals in that area by certain selfless people.
Read some more about the local Sosua animal charity - whatever they are called - you may be encouraged to give.

Actions speak louder than words - as I am sure you will agree.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Do I detect some winging and moaning about the lack of interest, compassion and people just generally interested in the plight of this situation? If so I have to disagree, people are just a little shocked that something so ridiculous could go on under peoples noses without anyone knowing about it. Obviously these people are loonies, loonies with a heart but none the less, of another planet for hoarding intense ranchlike numbers of animals without consideration for upkeep.
Not everyone can help, physically or financially, but it doesn't make a reaction any less worthy than those who do, not everyone wants a dog, what would you prefer? People adopt dogs they don't want to quash this disaster in the process creating another.
Shooting dogs is the way dogs are put down in the real working world, any farm, many working dogs, collies, greyhounds, rat dogs, bloodhounds, it has been the way to humanely kill dogs of no use since people have had the knowledge it is nicer to kill some animals rather than let them suffer, so I'm unsure what that rant is about really.
Anyway, I hope those that made it, make it to good homes, those thatcould get stuck in and helped out deserve medals, there is huge appreciation for you guys out there.

francoisatl

Feb 13, 2007
well people always look the other way when it is not their sh^t bet that house smells really bad and that smell is bad for you to be in 24/7 and now they need money well that is just some sh^t i will not help them that will just keep them doing the same crap they need mental help and all cat should be removed and put down how many are sick with feline aids and eye problems they should really be put down sorry to sound so cold but they did it to the cats not me

francoisatl

Feb 13, 2007
what ? They brought 260 cats with them- how irresponsible is that, im speechless for once.

Time to put a limit on how many animals you can bring into the country i think

girl they are a hot @ss mess or as we call them ham sandwich 260 cats wtf wow i would burn it after that