Urgently need warfarin

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joerusso

A box of 30 Warfarina is on its way to you via Metropac - should arrive Juan Dolio Weds. am. Same price as HB posted RD$377. That cleared one pharmacy out! No Coumadin in Puerto Plata & because everyone has been taking Warfarina that also is getting 'super super escaso'. Warfarina is the generic so your friend can safely take it. I checked this with my doctor, the one you've met Matilda, & 3 farmacias.

I also went to the farmacia owned by one of our neighbours - he said there is no Coumadin at the distribution centre so as soon as old supplies have been sold, the problem will be the same for the whole country. No idea when distribution centre is getting any more in. Scarcity of Warfarina means I can probably get one more box of 30 if you want, but that's it! Suggest HB's farmacia with the 100's sounds a good bet for your friend to stock up. Our neighbour the owner of Farmacia Carmen said more will become available but absolutely no-one has a timeline. It might raise the issue of unfairness to other patients but to stop any panic attacks your friend had better get in a supply of Warfarina from wherever she can. And maybe look into arrangements to ship in from abroad (like I do with my brand of HRT which isn't sold here or the US). I wish her well.

FYI Heparin acts differently, I'm told, so she might want to check out with her doctor if it would be suitable (that's IF she can get it).

Wow!!! That's very nice of you!!! Holy cow! I just signed up not to long ago, referred here by spine-health.com since that's a website for back and neck pain and of course that i live in the DR. Another person there referred me here to try and get some help for myself. this is amazing!!! I can't believe that you did this for somebody... I hope you will post on my thread if you have any info.. God bless! Joe

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks all. Fab as always. All sorted via Hillbilly and Lambada.

Friend is exstatic and very very relieved

Matilda

rake

Jan 11, 2007
thank you all

First and foremost I wish to express my thanks and gratitude to my great friend matilda. And, of course to Lambada and Hillbilly for all their help in locating coumadin/warfarin for me. I really appreciate all of the assistance offered by all the great members of the dr1 community. Thank you all so much.:)
Rake xxx

J

joerusso

First and foremost I wish to express my thanks and gratitude to my great friend matilda. And, of course to Lambada and Hillbilly for all their help in locating coumadin/warfarin for me. I really appreciate all of the assistance offered by all the great members of the dr1 community. Thank you all so much.:)
Rake xxx

Its amazing rake!!! I'm really happy for you! God bless!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Rake xxx

Pleased it has all worked out for you...not surprising with great people like Matilda and Lambada around ( can vouch for them both personally) and to HB for knowing his helpful ways from this site.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
First and foremost I wish to express my thanks and gratitude to my great friend matilda. And, of course to Lambada and Hillbilly for all their help in locating coumadin/warfarin for me. I really appreciate all of the assistance offered by all the great members of the dr1 community. Thank you all so much.:) Rake xxx

You're most welcome. Actually, rake, you & Matilda have done everyone a favour by bringing the issue to our attention. Now we know the extreme scarcity of the medication we can alert others we may know who are also using it. I haven't seen anything in the papers about this shortage - maybe they didn't want to start people hoarding? But.............it's going to happen, particularly when it's a life & death issue. Maybe you or Matilda could notify the Minister of Health?

Hope your health improves & happy to be of service. :)

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
All over the world there are people who are good and do good things, others are sceptical, and others don't care or, if they do, they only care about themselves. There are times when we all need help in one way or another - I hope there is someone, somewhere out there for me if and when I really need help. The Matilda's and Lambada's and Hillbilly's of this world are gems and I am privileged to say that they are also my friends. Well done all of you xxx

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am glad hillbilly and lambada came to rescue. I am not surprised a bit, I would have expected them to be the first.
I am still amazed to know that there is not s single generic brand of warfarin in juan dolio / san pedro area. If coumadin brand is unavailable, Its hard for me to believe that some other generic brand will not be available at all. There must be 5 different generic brands in any given (well stocked) pharmacy in any populated area. I know we are in DR but still, the country will not stop delivering all anticoagulant drugs and let the patients die. I bet there were 4 different brands of other warfarin drugs under different names. I hope the patient will do her homework and buy other name brand warfarin drugs coming from mexico, argentina or even usa. I bet they will be just as good as coumadin.
AZB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If coumadin brand is unavailable, Its hard for me to believe that some other generic brand will not be available at all. There must be 5 different generic brands in any given (well stocked) pharmacy in any populated area. I know we are in DR but still, the country will not stop delivering all anticoagulant drugs and let the patients die. I bet there were 4 different brands of other warfarin drugs under different names. AZB

That's a very helpful suggestion AZB. Perhaps you would like to research the 4 or 5 different generic brands which you feel are actually available in the DR and post their names here with exact locations as to where they are available in DR & then rake (the patient) can take it from there. Thank you in advance for your research work on behalf of the patient.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I am glad hillbilly and lambada came to rescue. I am not surprised a bit, I would have expected them to be the first.
I am still amazed to know that there is not s single generic brand of warfarin in juan dolio / san pedro area. If coumadin brand is unavailable, Its hard for me to believe that some other generic brand will not be available at all. There must be 5 different generic brands in any given (well stocked) pharmacy in any populated area. I know we are in DR but still, the country will not stop delivering all anticoagulant drugs and let the patients die. I bet there were 4 different brands of other warfarin drugs under different names. I hope the patient will do her homework and buy other name brand warfarin drugs coming from mexico, argentina or even usa. I bet they will be just as good as coumadin.
AZB

You crack me up!!!! Do you really think we are so stupid not to have thought of that. This shortage has been going on for a while, and so we have asked for all the alternative brands of warfarin. There are none here. Checks with doctors confirmed that the only real alternative was Heparin which is injectable, and there was none of that either.

Thank God for Hillbilly and Lambada the pills are on their way.

Matilda

Reactions: Keith R

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You crack me up!!!! Do you really think we are so stupid not to have thought of that. This shortage has been going on for a while, and so we have asked for all the alternative brands of warfarin. There are none here. Checks with doctors confirmed that the only real alternative was Heparin which is injectable, and there was none of that either.

Thank God for Hillbilly and Lambada the pills are on their way.

Matilda

So you are telling me, hillbilly and lambada were able to find generic brands in corner pharmacies of puerto plata and santiago and you couldn't find a single pharmacy in the whole santo domingo area which stocked a few warfarin generic brands?
Please, am I losing my mind? Does this make any sense? Seems to me, you simply called a few pharmacies over the phone in SD and never really went there looking for it in person. If I am challenged to an extreme to prove my point, I will actually go there and find you 10 different places in SD where I can find you generic brand for your friend. care to put big bucks on a bet?
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Of course we could drive to Santo Domingo and spend as long as necessary going to as many pharmacies as we could, but I just thought that as most people on this forum are usually very helpful they might be able to tell me of a pharmacy that has some warfarin to save time, effort and diesel.
Matilda

I see, so it was all a cry and no real life threatening situation as you made it sound like in your first post. People were able to find warfarin in pharmacies in puta areas of puerto plata and you couldn't find it in yellow pages of santo domingo. Nice.
have a nice day. I wish people stop acting like professional victims in this country. We are not living in jungle here.
AZB

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
AZB. What is your problem with me?

Let me spell it out for you so maybe you will understand.

1. My friend has a condition which is serious enough that she has to take warfarin on a daily basis and has to have her blood checked monthly.

2. Up to the last 3 months she has had no problem obtaining it in San Pedro. However, slowly each Pharmacy started to run out. We then tried different brand names but it appears that it is only available as cumadin or warfarina.

3. We tried all pharmacies in San Pedro and in surrounding small towns. The larger pharmacies in San Pedro including the ones in Jumbo and Iberia called their other branches in the country. No Warfarin under any brand name.

4. We called all of the larger pharmacies in Santo Domingo. No warfarin.

5. We called the distribution centre - no Warfarin.

6. So I just thought that maybe someone on DR1 - if they were going to a pharmacy in another part of the country could just check if they had warfarin.

7. Luckily for her, two people came up with the goods, and the warfarin is on its way here and the money is on its way to them. Effort on their part for which she is very grateful.

8. I was not lying, I was not being a drama queen and I object a tad to being called 'you people'. Living here can have its ups and downs and sometimes we all need help from those who are kind enough to give it. I have helped people and people have helped me, for which I will always be grateful.

And as Lambada said it does appear that there is a shortage at the moment and I will communicate with the Minister for Health so that the Government is aware.

And please, if in the future you cannot help then try and restrain yourself for being so insulting instead.

Matilda

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok. lets leave it at that. If you had asked in a different manner rather than making a mountain out of nothing, many more would have suggested better ideas. But you made it sound like this country is totally devoid of this drug and people will fall left and right dead from thrombosis. This is not the case. if you let your fingers do the walking (yellow pages) which is how its done in USA. you may find it, you may not. But it seems like the generic brand is available all over santiago and even in puerto plata, I am sure its available in many places in santo domingo too. I am still amazed to see how its not available in san pedro. So it was not a life threatening situation and there was no need for people in santiago or in puerto plata to send you the drug via metro and go through all the trouble when you (good friend of the patient) was unwilling to spend your time, effort or diesel to go look for it in san pedro or santo domingo. You did mention you called famous pharmacies but it seems the street corner mamas & papas pharmacies had plenty to sell.
lets leave it at that. I am glad your friend is being helped.
Now the bad, insensitive AZB will go to his corner and cry a bit for being rude.
AZB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
lets leave it at that.

Just a moment, AZB.

We are not living in jungle here. AZB

Indeed we are not. And even in the jungle there is altruism.

Now that I see the problem is real. I will help. I will check tomorrow to see what I come up with. AZB

You very kindly offered to help. Thank you. Now, other than posting here, could you please tell us what you have actually done? This will be most helpful for the patient, rake. It will also inform people that you are a man of your word.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Ok. lets leave it at that. If you had asked in a different manner rather than making a mountain out of nothing, many more would have suggested better ideas. But you made it sound like this country is totally devoid of this drug and people will fall left and right dead from thrombosis. This is not the case. if you let your fingers do the walking (yellow pages) which is how its done in USA. you may find it, you may not. But it seems like the generic brand is available all over santiago and even in puerto plata, I am sure its available in many places in santo domingo too. I am still amazed to see how its not available in san pedro. So it was not a life threatening situation and there was no need for people in santiago or in puerto plata to send you the drug via metro and go through all the trouble when you (good friend of the patient) was unwilling to spend your time, effort or diesel to go look for it in san pedro or santo domingo. You did mention you called famous pharmacies but it seems the street corner mamas & papas pharmacies had plenty to sell.
lets leave it at that. I am glad your friend is being helped.
Now the bad, insensitive AZB will go to his corner and cry a bit for being rude.
AZB
M'Thinks YOU overdramitisd the original post AZB - I certainly did not read it as a "Drama Queen, life threatening situation" plea - more of a request for help to see if other parts of the country was suffering the same problems of shortages as the local farmacias. Mind you, it WOULD have been life threatening IF additional medication was not found within 10 days - the legnth of time they had stocks for.
Quote "But you made it sound like this country is totally devoid of this drug and people will fall left and right dead from thrombosis." Where did you dream THAT one up from??

We give help to many people on this forum who request it for situations MUCH more mundane than the one for Matilda's friend, so what is wrong with her asking for anyone visiting a farmacia to see if they have some stock - WHETHER THERE IS SOME IN SANTO DOMINGO or NOT??
Quote "Now the bad, insensitive AZB will go to his corner and cry a bit for being rude".
We should be so lucky!!!

This board is all about giving of information & help to others, why attack someone who asks for it ........ NO MATTER WHAT YOUR PERSONAL BEEF WITH THAT PERSON MAY BE!! ~ Grahame.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You very kindly offered to help. Thank you. Now, other than posting here, could you please tell us what you have actually done? This will be most helpful for the patient, rake. It will also inform people that you are a man of your word.

I would have done exactly what you had done, you only did it sooner. unlike you, some people actually work here and besides, she had 10 day supply left. if you people hadn't come out first, i would have sent her a package as gift. You didn't think I was going to let her friend die of thrombosis? Unlike the OP, I was willing to put effort, time and use up my diesel (oooppsss, I mean, propane) to run to my neighborhood mama's & papa's pharmacy and buy a load of warfarin in generic name and ship it to her. It would have cost me 500 plus change to save her friend's life. I saw that you people found the pills in less than 1/2 day, maybe even an hour. So there was no need for me to waste my diesel on saving someone's life. It was easier than the drama created by the Op's post.
lambada, you are not the only maria Teresa in DR. We also do our part in santiago, but we just don't rave about it on Dr1.
AZB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
People were able to find warfarin in pharmacies in puta areas of puerto plata and you couldn't find it in yellow pages of santo domingo. Nice.
AZB

WHY was that comment about 'puta areas' necessary?:surprised? Are you suggesting that Lambada would go into 'Puta areas' only?:ermm:? There are OTHER farmacias in Puerto Plata - maybe you were never in those areas when you lived here? Not everyone on this board is obsessed with comments about 'putas' as you seem to be!! ~ Grahame

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
M'Thinks YOU overdramitisd the original post AZB - I certainly did not read it as a "Drama Queen, life threatening situation" plea - more of a request for help to see if other parts of the country was suffering the same problems of shortages as the local farmacias. Mind you, it WOULD have been life threatening IF additional medication was not found within 10 days - the legnth of time they had stocks for.
Quote "But you made it sound like this country is totally devoid of this drug and people will fall left and right dead from thrombosis." Where did you dream THAT one up from??

We give help to many people on this forum who request it for situations MUCH more mundane than the one for Matilda's friend, so what is wrong with her asking for anyone visiting a farmacia to see if they have some stock - WHETHER THERE IS SOME IN SANTO DOMINGO or NOT??
Quote "Now the bad, insensitive AZB will go to his corner and cry a bit for being rude".
We should be so lucky!!!

This board is all about giving of information & help to others, why attack someone who asks for it ........ NO MATTER WHAT YOUR PERSONAL BEEF WITH THAT PERSON MAY BE!! ~ Grahame.

yes there is nothing wrong with helping people, we do it all the time in santiago, without asking for chocolates, tobacco or free dinner in a restaurant in return. We do it with pleasure.

A friend of mine has to take warfarin 10mg a day. If she does not take it she will have a blood clot. She has bought it here for the last 5 years with no problems at all, under the name cumadin. Over the past few weeks it has become more and more difficult to obtain and now there is none in the whole of Juan Dolio, San Pedro de Macoris nor surrounding towns.

She only has enough for 10 days now.

Matilda
Then she included santo domingo in to the equation as not having any. So folks, if santo domingo does not have any, where else would you find it in DR? Doesn't this sound like a life threatening situation? i would be very alarmed if i had only 10 day supply left. Would I be looking at an end caused by blood clot?
then all of the sudden, people found the drug in street corner pharmacies in puerto plata. hahahaha, sad but funny.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
anyway, I am done with this thread.
now you can post all the garbage on me if you want. have a nice day.
AZB

Status
Not open for further replies.