US$6 for a small bottle of water in Punta Cana airport

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Or because of inflation and in general prices for almost everything have increased.
I guess inflation passed by the Wendy's just down the street from the airport. Price hasn't changed by more than 50 pesos for a combo there in years.....................Just plain greed at all airports all over the World................

Reactions: melphis

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
I guess inflation passed by the Wendy's just down the street from the airport. Price hasn't changed by more than 50 pesos for a combo there in years.....................Just plain greed at all airports all over the World................
It's basic economics. Same thing goes for prices at sporting events, amusement parks, tourist attractions, etc.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Or because of inflation and in general prices for almost everything have increased.
70% is not inflation considering the Wendy's down the street in PC village isn't raping their customers.
A 70% increase in less than a year is nothing more than greed and price gouging.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
It's basic economics. Same thing goes for prices at sporting events, amusement parks, tourist attractions, etc.
Just because someone else is doing doesn't make it right. It's just taking advantage of people in a closed setting. If you could take your own beverages and food into these venues then you would see the prices be more reasonable.

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
Airports have been ripping off people as long as they have been open, no matter how the economy is doing..................
I said economics, not economy. Two totally different concepts...........

Reactions: jd426

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
70% is not inflation considering the Wendy's down the street in PC village isn't raping their customers.
A 70% increase in less than a year is nothing more than greed and price gouging.
The Wendy's in PC village isn't paying the lease at the airport. I suspect there are numerous factors (including inflation and a higher lease amount to operate in the airport) coming into play.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Food in airports has always been higher than on the outside by maybe 20% on average. Now, it's about 100%. That's not inflation - that's greed exploiting a captive audience.

Reactions: melphis and drstock

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Food in airports has always been higher than on the outside by maybe 20% on average. Now, it's about 100%. That's not inflation - that's greed exploiting a captive audience.
But it's still supply and demand. If enough people don't buy their shit, prices will decline to a lower level while still keeping profits positive. As a former bidness traveler, I suspect high prices will remain because bidness people don't give a rat's ass what it costs as they're not paying the bill.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
But it's still supply and demand. If enough people don't buy their shit, prices will decline to a lower level while still keeping profits positive. As a former bidness traveler, I suspect high prices will remain because bidness people don't give a rat's ass what it costs as they're not paying the bill.
I agree with the business travelers, but for the others - when you're hungry, you're hungry! Many won't have another opportunity for a meal for a long time.

Jan 9, 2004
Too a large extent that is correct. Nothing cures high prices.....like high prices.

That having been said, high rents, and commissions paid on each sale to the airport operator, along with the additional expenses of getting/storing food in limited space, the need to secure clearances for employees, parking, etc., all contribute to the high costs.

I am surprised that no one has explored the VIP lounges at PUJ. I do not fly in/out of there but have been told they are pretty good.......one even having a swimming pool. They offer complimentary drinks, sandwiches, snacks, etc. Of course there is a cost, but am told they are a hidden oasis in the hectic nature of the airport there.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
Sure way to keep them coming back for more. Poor Luis has put all of his eggs in one basket. Tourism, tourism and tourism. This time next year all of these AI's and new hotel projects will be empty. Sad.
Ya dr slowly getting to expensive
More bang for your buck else where, but we keep coming back

Reactions: AlaPlaya

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Ya dr slowly getting to expensive
More bang for your buck else where, but we keep coming back
Economist on both sides of the isle are saying America is heading into a recession. Seeing how Americans are their biggest customer base, I think it's a logical conclusion.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I have a good friend who sold watches at Punta Cana airport. He used to make good money before the pandemic. Then they suspended him, so he had to live on RD$ 8000 a month or whatever miserable amount the government paid. When things opened back up, he was called in and told that he had to accept an 80% reduction in his commission rate, or he would be liquidated. The reason given was because the company had lost a lot of money in the pandemic and had to make it back. Obviously ignoring the fact that all of their staff had also lost a lot of money.

He also told me that staff had been frogmarched into being vaccinated. No vaccine, no job, no liquidation, no discussion.

What a horrible way to treat staff. I just think that if we are going to be a tourist island, we need to learn to treat the people who look after the tourists with respect and dignity. This caveman attitude to HR never works.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I have a good friend who sold watches at Punta Cana airport. He used to make good money before the pandemic. Then they suspended him, so he had to live on RD$ 8000 a month or whatever miserable amount the government paid. When things opened back up, he was called in and told that he had to accept an 80% reduction in his commission rate, or he would be liquidated. The reason given was because the company had lost a lot of money in the pandemic and had to make it back. Obviously ignoring the fact that all of their staff had also lost a lot of money.

He also told me that staff had been frogmarched into being vaccinated. No vaccine, no job, no liquidation, no discussion.

What a horrible way to treat staff. I just think that if we are going to be a tourist island, we need to learn to treat the people who look after the tourists with respect and dignity. This caveman attitude to HR never works.
It took years to create.
Will take years to change.
Anyone who wanted to keep their job was frogmarched in.
Those who refused were liquidated without any form of compensation