US bombshell prohibition of La Romana sugar stirs major responses

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Central-Romana-azucar-Diario-Libre-1024x700.png

The most impactful news of the past week and over the weekend was the announcement by the United States government that sugar from the American-owned La Romana Sugar Corporation would no longer be accepted in any US port. The note alleged labor issues as the key point. Local reaction was swift, to say the least.

Agriculture Minister Limber Cruz said that there was no evidence of any sort of abuse against workers as alleged in the original note, and he stressed the importance of the US market for domestic sugar. While admitting that “years ago” there were certainly some poor labor practices, these have long since been overcome.

The Central Romana itself was quick to react to the note issued by the Customs and Border Protection agency and published a point by point denial at the end of the week. Briefly, the accusations of “forced labor” were dismissed out of hand, as...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SKY

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yet another article about Haitians . Has DR1 got a fixation with this subject .There must be other news in a country of over 10 million people.!!

• Wow
Reactions: JD Jones

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Yet another article about Haitians . Has DR1 got a fixation with this subject .There must be other news in a country of over 10 million people.!!
Unless you are in a coma this directly involves the Dominican Republic..............

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It's not just DR1. The DR's treatment of Haitians is headline news here (this one from Diario Libre) with articles all over the world.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It is a continuation of the same news with responses and developments. Until the situation is resolved it will be news of importance in the DR. Note that the other two major sugar producers are said to have worse conditions than centro Romana.

Reactions: JD Jones

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Good read for the "bleeding heart" crew...........

What ? They deny ?....... no me diga.....
A bit like cigarette manufactures putting out adverts for decades saying smoking was not harmful ?
Did you believe those to ? 🤣🤣🤣

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What ? They deny ?....... no me diga.....
A bit like cigarette manufactures putting out adverts for decades saying smoking was not harmful ?
Did you believe those to ? 🤣🤣🤣
What I believe and you would have to agree with me is that ALL these workers WANT their jobs. And that is the bottom line here................

Reactions: Naked_Snake

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I must apologize sincerely to Dolores, I had no idea that she was the proprietor of this site , Thank you for the information and that explains a lot . Again, apologies and of course she has the right to put any stories here that she may care to .

Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
What I believe and you would have to agree with me is that ALL these workers WANT their jobs. And that is the bottom line here................

And would you not agree that may be because they are desperate ?

And would you not agree that no one is obliged to buy their products ? If the corporation does not want to oblige to the conditions of the buyer.......well tough.
Seems sugar is a buyers market.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Great News and extremely efective !
The Fajul Family (Owners) can't add any aditional fortune to their billions (in US$) for a fwe weeks or month and another 6 to 10,000 Haitians are without any Job and Income.
Great Job USA !

Reactions: cavok

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
I must apologize sincerely to Dolores, I had no idea that she was the proprietor of this site , Thank you for the information and that explains a lot . Again, apologies and of course she has the right to put any stories here that she may care to .
Don't feel badly. I once corrected grammar in a story that I thought was a "cut and paste". Dolores graciously accepted my critique as she let me know that she was the one who wrote it! If there was a hole on dr1 to crawl in to, I would have been there.
Had I been in her shoes, I would have ripped me a new one. LOL!

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Evidently this argument is beginning to have an effect on tourist numbers. I was talking to a finance director of two resorts in Bavaro yesterday and he was saying that they've seen a definite drop-off in bookings from the US, and quite a lot of cancellations, since this started. So it definitely is a DR story.

Remember in 2019 how there was all that nonsense about vacationers suddenly dying in DR and how much it affected tourism?

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Workers rights and how immigrant workers are treated is definitely something that’s topical right now. Look at the Qatar world cup. Haitians in the Dominican Republic where an increasing number of tourists visit.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Great News and extremely efective !
The Fajul Family (Owners) can't add any aditional fortune to their billions (in US$) for a fwe weeks or month and another 6 to 10,000 Haitians are without any Job and Income.
Great Job USA !
The US is the virtue signaling capital of the world.
No country producing sugar, be it the DR, Cuba, Brazil, India or Thailand will equal some phantom social status set by the US.
But some numbnut in the US government with a bow tie decided he was superior to the Dominican Republic and took his belt off to deliver a rough spanking.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
No further postings questioning the decision of Dolores to post this, or any other topic, will be permitted. She owns DR1 and common courtesy demands that we respect that.

I'm confused. Dolores is a real person?! Like a live, breathing human being?
Dang I could swear she was just a bot posting daily news for us to read. Like some sort of artificial intelligence.

Oh well. The more you know.

Sorry I was mistaken Dolores.

• Haha
Reactions: Gadfly