US chain to build a 9,000-room US$6.0B megahotel

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I wonder where exactly they are planning to build. A Turkish group has said they plan on building up to 12,000 rooms in the Macao/ Uvero Alto area.
With last year's bad press the hotels in the Uvero Alto area are between 50 to 70% full depending on the week and the hotel.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Punta Cana is already overbuilt everywhere you turn they are building something....I hope the the roads can handle this type of traffic they are planning on... 40 years from now punta cana be like Capital with traffic.. good luck young people...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I agree. It's turning into a city. Killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
I agree. It's turning into a city. Killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

out building infra structure will be the downfall of this imaginary project. With nothing to build upon i see this as a sales scam apoaching a ponzi scheeme. Investors beware !

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Even if tourism in PC maintains historic levels and enjoys reasonable growth, I have a hard time seeing the majority of 9000 rooms being filled most of the time. This sounds like a grandiose plan divided into three phases whereby only phase one ever gets built.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Wonder what the exact location is? If if happens they will build it on sections pending the success of the first section.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
My guess is one of these areas or a combination thereof.
c49ff17bd967bf1b0b20fc06caa782bf.jpg

Was thinking the same. Also why DR wants another airport up that way. I read last year there like 10,000 rooms under construction in the DR and or getting ready to beak ground. I hear the Club Med near Miches is really nice. Playa Esmeralda it is called. Secrets and Dreams is supposed to be building 2 resorts there also.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...hes_El_Seibo_Province_Dominican_Republic.html

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Construction has begun on two all-inclusive AMResorts properties in Miches on the northeast coast of the Dominican Republic, about an 80-minute drive from Punta Cana.

The Secrets Playa Esmeralda Punta Cana and Dreams Playa Esmeralda Punta Cana will each have 750 rooms and suites, with 250 rooms at each resort exclusively for Preferred Club guests.

The resorts will be part of a $400 million complex called Playa Esmeralda that will also feature a convention center, a theater for live performances, and retail and dining venues.

The project is scheduled for completion at the end of 2022.

“Miches is poised to become one of the Dominican Republic’s top markets for all-inclusive resorts,” said Javier Coll, executive vice president and chief strategy officer of Apple Leisure Group, parent company of AMResorts. “This area has been largely overlooked, despite its significant attributes. However, our team’s long history and proven experience in this market has allowed us to identify and move on this opportunity.”

Last month, Club Med held its grand opening for the 335-room Club Med Miches Playa Esmeralda, and a resort complex with a 169-room Four Seasons at its center is scheduled to open in Miches next year.

The Secrets Playa Esmeralda Punta Cana and Dreams Playa Esmeralda Punta Cana will bring AMResorts’ total number of properties in the Caribbean to 20.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel...tarts-on-Miches-resorts-in-Dominican-Republic

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
Hey Kyle...any ideas where a 15 year expat living in Punta Cana can take his Dominican family to the beach without paying $100 per person for a day pass?

One of the reasons for settling here was the opportunity to go to the beach on weekends. Now what????

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
After working in the hotel business as a weekend manager and auditor while in university at a new Howard Johnsons motel.. yes remember those?.that was 250 rooms, now they are talking 9000 rooms in P.C. in one hotel.. 2 things to say to that after last year, good luck and never..also hide your wallets....

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Being the cynic that I am, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a way to lock up the parcel of land, build phase I and then flip the rest of the unused property for a profit later on.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Hey Kyle...any ideas where a 15 year expat living in Punta Cana can take his Dominican family to the beach without paying $100 per person for a day pass?

One of the reasons for settling here was the opportunity to go to the beach on weekends. Now what????

Lots of places get out and explore.

May 4, 2018

Playa Macao. Nice beach but bring your own food and beer(in cans) no glass allowed on the beach.

https://youtu.be/j-Yg_hXxMf0

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Playa Macao? Used to be a nice beach...then the Russians and the ATVs discovered it. Last time we were there (except for great wave riding), not so nice anymore. Sorry