US could ‘expeditiously’ deport over 30,000 Dominicans

W

windeguy

Many expats in the DR bring their aging parents here, or their kids or brothers or sisters. No idea if they have residency.

Matilda

I don't know of any people that have brought their aging parent to the DR, but then I am in the Cabarete/Sosua area. Even if they did, they are not gaming the system to receive government support. I do personally know family members in the US brought from the DR because of family chain migration who are indeed gaming the system. And others living illegally in sanctuary cities, yet somehow still gaming the system by having their children in public schools, etc.

C

Cdn_Gringo

It's all the rage to bring aging and ill family members to my home country to take advantage of social medicine. Especially those with long term expensive illnesses such as cancer, HIV, TB etc.

A 72 year old Mother from Botswana isn't going to be a net gain for the new society any way you look at it.

B

bienamor

Many expats in the DR bring their aging parents here, or their kids or brothers or sisters. No idea if they have residency.

Matilda

As I said parents ok minor kids ok brothers/sisters no. Not the same at all comparing here to the US problem. Here each would have to qualify on their own not someone sponsoring them an signing papers that they will support them (not enforced)

C

cobraboy

As I said parents ok minor kids ok brothers/sisters no. Not the same at all comparing here to the US problem. Here each would have to qualify on their own not someone sponsoring them an signing papers that they will support them (not enforced)
Another difference is there is no Free Cheese to immigrants to the DR.

If you bring parents, you have to support them, legal or not.

C

cobraboy

And those aging expat parents probably have a source of income and contribute more to job growth than most aging Dominican parents ?
And I don't see "many" bringing in elderly parents to live here. Maybe there is 1 in 100 that do that (if even that high)
Mom CB lives with us. I didn't "bring" her here, she brought herself. And she carries her own financial weight.

M

Matilda

The discussion was the use of the US system to bring family members to the country. Two issues - do those family members become a burden on the US state and are they there legally. I know very little about US immigration rules, but I do know that there are legal immigration systems in place to allow family members to migrate legally to the US. Whether it be considered right or wrong. I was making the point that there is no such exact system in place in the DR, family members need to apply for residency in their own right, and I know several children of expats, parents of expats, who have decided to relocate here to be with their parents or children. I am not saying they are burdens on the DR state, I was just wondering if they are all here legally - ie do they have residency?

Matilda

U

USA DOC

Another difference is there is no Free Cheese to immigrants to the DR.

If you bring parents, you have to support them, legal or not.

...yes the free cheese, and everything else that is free....if you are not legal in USA you probably don't have a SS number, and pay no income tax...what the government of the USA is doing now is all about $$$$… that they balance the books is critical at this point...they can take things away from the illegals, and deport to save money ...or take away social security benefits from the people who are legal and paid into SS their whole working life...when the payments on the national debt are hard to pay, something will be done …….Doc...…...

K

keepcoming

The problem with immigration rules/laws IMO is that they are enforced randomly, not consistent. Whether it be the USA or DR. The sponsor support law is rarely enforced in the USA but the affidavit the sponsor has to sign would make you think otherwise. One must meet income requirements per the rule however you can have more than 1 sponsor. Also if the sponsor falls short on income ( as in the case I mentioned) they will take in account monies in a bank account. Family members will pool money together to put into the bank account in order to qualify. I do know of expats who have brought family members (parents, adult children, etc..) here to the DR but not sure what their immigration status is. One for example brought their mother but I am pretty sure she is only here 6 months or so every year. The rest of the time she is visiting other family in the USA. My spouse has some distance family members (2nd, 3rd cousins,etc..) who are some interesting characters. So I have seen first hand how the system can be "gamed". When asked about it (which I do) the reply is always the same, "they (the USA) can just send us back to the DR".

M

mofongoloco

I fully agree. My in laws were Colombians and to find 3 families living in the same house to get by is ridiculous. I remember my wife going don to the Mercedes dealer and having her pic taken to send back to Colombia to show off her new car. Brings 'em on!

How about those giant oversized photographs. Usually posed in front of a weekend special rent-a-car.

C

cube

what are you talking about ?
Yes I do agree some people chain migrate thinking its a better life and find themselves in a worst situation for the first few years. but this stuff turns around pretty quickly as they find jobs and start to integrate to the system here. Ive known chain migrants who have yes, taken in the help in terms of food stamp to help put food on the table for the first years as they settle. at the same time, as they integrate, they become citizens and start businesses and or begin to move up the ladder by doing the jobs that people here, blacks latino white, dont want to do.

as for their kids, they get an education and they begin to contribute to the system as it has been for years and years.

also, those same Dominicans send and spend an enormous amount of money back in DR when they travel or to their families. so, yes I have met the "food stamp queens" but guess what, they live like ****. while the majority of people actually do a lot better and contribute to the system as it is intended.

some people forget how massive this country really is...

T

the gorgon

And those aging expat parents probably have a source of income and contribute more to job growth than most aging Dominican parents ?
And I don't see "many" bringing in elderly parents to live here. Maybe there is 1 in 100 that do that (if even that high)

so you don't have a problem with it working for foreigners coming to the DR, but you think it should not work in reverse?

all righty, then..

N

NALs

Isn't the Dominican community as a whole one of the poorest Latino groups in the USA? That makes the group one of the poorest people in the US, not just Latinos. Having plenty of people migrate when they shouldn't probably explains a large part of that. By now being one of the poorest groups isn't an excuse.

B

bienamor

so you don't have a problem with it working for foreigners coming to the DR, but you think it should not work in reverse?

all righty, then..

not even remotely the same situation! As there is no safety here in the DR. and with the residency requirements in place each has to qualify on their own. so you can't compare it to chain migration in the USA

C

chico bill

all righty, then..
Like I said it's a non-issue. How many people do you personally know who brought an aging parent to live in the DR?
And of that how many of those are sponging on DR society? 0
Yeah I thought so

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

T

the gorgon

Like I said it's a non-issue. How many people do you personally know who brought an aging parent to live in the DR?
And of that how many of those are sponging on DR society? 0
Yeah I thought so

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

i will not debate this with you, because it starts off with your assertion that the people are sponging off the government, and i am thoroughly exhausted by people like you who judge people by the worst of them.

i am mystified. if you have this indefatigable low opinion of Dominicans, where you have nothing good to say about the ones abroad, and you bitch and moan all livelong day about the ones here, then why in kingdom come are you still here?

C

chico bill

i will not debate this with you, because it starts off with your assertion that the people are sponging off the government, and i am thoroughly exhausted by people like you who judge people by the worst of them.

i am mystified. if you have this indefatigable low opinion of Dominicans, where you have nothing good to say about the ones abroad, and you bitch and moan all livelong day about the ones here, then why in kingdom come are you still here?

Gorgon you live in a very small world. I am not judging anyone. I am saying the Dominicans have no reason to worry about the expats' parents because they support themselves.

As far as the US deporting 30,000 Dominicans, I would assume that won't happen, it is bluster a red herring that you fell for. And if they do deport some I expect it will be for cause.

I have not been discussing Dominicans in this thread, only replying to some insinuations that Foreigners bringing relatives here (Chain Migration) were violating the system, and CB replied his mom brought herself and was indeed paying for herself. .
You know of no expats who brought their parents here, therefore you can't speak about chain migration into the Dominican Republic as it really isn't a thing - end of discussion

T

the gorgon

Gorgon you live in a very small world. I am not judging anyone. I am saying the Dominicans have no reason to worry about the expats' parents because they support themselves.

As far as the US deporting 30,000 Dominicans, I would assume that won't happen, it is bluster a red herring that you fell for. And if they do deport some I expect it will be for cause.

I have not been discussing Dominicans in this thread, only replying to some insinuations that Foreigners bringing relatives here (Chain Migration) were violating the system, and CB replied his mom brought herself and was indeed paying for herself. .
You know of no expats who brought their parents here, therefore you can't speak about chain migration into the Dominican Republic as it really isn't a thing - end of discussion

a red herring i fell for?

what exactly did i say about the matter? just say the number of the post i made..

P

PICHARDO

The following key facts compare demographic and economic characteristics of the Dominican-origin population in the U.S. with the characteristics of U.S. Hispanics and the U.S. population overall. It is based on Pew Research Center tabulations of the 2017 American Community Survey. Key facts include:

Immigration status
Among Hispanics in the U.S., about 33% are foreign born, compared with 54% of U.S. Dominicans.
About 43% of foreign-born Dominicans have been in the U.S. for over 20 years, and 53% of foreign-born Dominicans are U.S. citizens.

Educational attainment
About 16% of U.S. Hispanics ages 25 and older have obtained at least a bachelor’s degree, compared with 18% of Dominicans.
Among Dominicans ages 25 and older, the U.S. born are more likely than the foreign born to have a bachelor’s degree or higher (28% vs. 15%).

Income
Among U.S. Hispanics, the median annual personal earnings for those ages 16 and older was $25,000, compared with $24,000 for Dominicans.
Looking at full-time, year-round workers, U.S. Hispanics earned $34,000 and Dominicans earned $32,000.

Poverty status
The share of U.S. Hispanics who live in poverty is 19%, compared with 22% of Dominicans.
About 23% of U.S.-born Dominicans live in poverty, as do 21% of foreign-born Dominicans.

Homeownership
The rate of homeownership among U.S. Hispanics (47%) is higher than the rate for Dominicans overall (27%).
Among Dominicans in the U.S., rates of homeownership are higher for the U.S. born than foreign born (32% vs. 26%).

Top states of residence
The Dominican population is concentrated in New York (42%), New Jersey (15%) and Florida (13%).

The median age of U.S. Hispanics (29) is similar to that of Dominicans (30) and lower than that of the U.S. population (38).

Marital status
U.S. Hispanics ages 18 and older are more likely to be married (46%) than Dominicans (41%).
Among Dominicans ages 18 and older, those who are foreign born are more likely to be married than the U.S. born (48% vs. 25%).

Fertility
Some 7% of U.S. Hispanic women ages 15 to 44 gave birth in the 12 months prior to the July 2017 American Community Survey. That share is similar to the rate for Dominican women (7%).

Language
About 70% of U.S. Hispanics ages 5 and older speak only English at home or speak English at least “very well,” compared with 58% of Dominicans.
Similarly, 64% of Hispanic adults are English proficient, as are 51% of Dominican adults.

Source:
https://www.pewresearch.org/hispani...earch-Center_Dominicans-in-U-S-2017-data.xlsx