US could ‘expeditiously’ deport over 30,000 Dominicans

W

windeguy

Santo Domingo.- More than 30,000 Dominicans qualify for the US Government-ordered “accelerated deportation” starting September 1, in which foreigners in violation of the law can be sent to their countries if the Office of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has evidence of any violation.

If the person is two or more years living undocumented, whether a student or a tourist, ICE can determine if that foreigner is “removed” without going before a judge, according to migration expert Roque Leonel Rodríguez. He said the measure was authorized by the Washington on July 24 of this year.

He stressed that ICE’s main interest with the Expedited Deportation program (Expedited Removal), is to deport people who have criminal records and violators of legal stay, which although tourists are authorized six months, there is currently an ordinance of do not renew their visa or cancel it at the airport to anyone who lasts more than two months in the United States, “therefore I recommend that the person is not to last longer than 21 days.”

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2019/09/03/us-could-expeditiously-deport-over-30000-dominicans/

S

SKY

Don't worry, the US Embassy in SD will give this their full "attention".....................

P

PICHARDO

Santo Domingo.- More than 30,000 Dominicans qualify for the US Government-ordered “accelerated deportation” starting September 1, in which foreigners in violation of the law can be sent to their countries if the Office of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has evidence of any violation.

If the person is two or more years living undocumented, whether a student or a tourist, ICE can determine if that foreigner is “removed” without going before a judge, according to migration expert Roque Leonel Rodríguez. He said the measure was authorized by the Washington on July 24 of this year.

He stressed that ICE’s main interest with the Expedited Deportation program (Expedited Removal), is to deport people who have criminal records and violators of legal stay, which although tourists are authorized six months, there is currently an ordinance of do not renew their visa or cancel it at the airport to anyone who lasts more than two months in the United States, “therefore I recommend that the person is not to last longer than 21 days.”

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2019/09/03/us-could-expeditiously-deport-over-30000-dominicans/

Not a well researched news article at all...

The real stuff:

In late July, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) published a new rule in the Federal Register that expands the designation of expedited removal. Under that rule, immigrants in the country unlawfully for fewer than 2 years and who are living anywhere in the country’s interior can be fast-tracked through deportation proceedings, even if that means there’s not enough time to make their case before an immigration judge. Previous to the July 23 change, only undocumented immigrants who were caught 100 miles from the border and within two weeks of arriving qualified for expedited removal.

P

PICHARDO

As far as staying for 2 months or more when stamped for a 6 months stay, is also false.

The real fact is that those that stay for long periods or to the max of the provided stay on REPEATED visits, are the ones being questioned by custom officials. If their answers are not based on a acceptable basis, their tourist visas are revoked.

This is not a Dominican aimed policy, but a general applied new policy to deter those making things harder for others.

The article is full of half truths and some really terrible non-senses.

W

windeguy

Not a well researched news article at all...

The real stuff:

In late July, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) published a new rule in the Federal Register that expands the designation of expedited removal. Under that rule, immigrants in the country unlawfully for fewer than 2 years and who are living anywhere in the country’s interior can be fast-tracked through deportation proceedings, even if that means there’s not enough time to make their case before an immigration judge. Previous to the July 23 change, only undocumented immigrants who were caught 100 miles from the border and within two weeks of arriving qualified for expedited removal.

It makes one wonder why if they have stayed illegally for over 2 years why this would not apply. I suppose they have to face court proceedings before deportation for some technicality of the law? They have to prove they were in the US for more than 2 years.

P

PICHARDO

It makes one wonder why if they have stayed illegally for over 2 years why this would not apply. I suppose they have to face court proceedings before deportation for some technicality of the law? They have to prove they were in the US for more than 2 years.

Any person (non-citizen/resident/legal) that resides for a period longer than 2 years is covered under a court-issued order, which makes clear that they MUST be presented before a judge and their case be presented on a hearing prior to executing a removal/deportation from US territory.

They must provide evidence of that over 2 years residency to the authorities to avoid being fast tracked without a hearing.

The ruling has precedence from another immigration case.

The only difference is that some get a hearing and a timely deportation, whilst others are sent back swiftly.

Kind of like our DR system. Those caught by Cesfront having just arrived recently are quickly sent over to Haiti sans any mumbo jumbo. Others are reviewed by assigned officials and their removal follows paperwork procedures.

N

NALs

30,000 amounts to what?

0.3% nationally?

1.7% of Dominicans in the USA?

I say if it wasn’t for the media, most people in the DR would never notice a change if all 30,000 were deported. So sure, go ahead and deport them.

W

windeguy

30,000 amounts to what?

0.3% nationally?

1.7% of Dominicans in the USA?

I say if it wasn’t for the media, most people in the DR would never notice a change if all 30,000 were deported. So sure, go ahead and deport them.

I suspect reality is that there are much more than 30,000, but then that could be the ones with more than 2 years who need a hearing before deportation. I know for a fact that the sanctuary cities are "working well".

M

mountainannie

One of the signature policies of the current administration is to both cut and modify immigration policies into the USA... Of most interest to Dominicans would be the proposed alterations to the "chain migration"- or "family unification" visas-

think tanks on the subject --
"...We found that over this 35-year period chain migration has always been a major share of total immigration, and averages out
to about 60 percent of total immigration. Out of a total of nearly 33 million immigrants admitted between 1981 and 2016,
more than 20 million were chain migration immigrants (61 percent). ..." https://cis.org/sites/default/files/2017-09/vaughan-chain-migration_1.pdf

"...Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) introduced legislation that would end Chain Migration based on the Jordan Commission's recommendations – the Reforming American Immigration for Strong Employment (RAISE) Act (S. 354). The bill would reduce legal immigration by up to 50% by ending future chain migration and the diversity visa lottery...."
https://www.numbersusa.com/solutions/end-chain-migration

"...Nearly all immigrants from the Dominican Republic who obtain lawful permanent residence in the United States (also known as getting a green card) do so through family reunification, while very few come through employment or other channels. Dominican immigrants are more likely than the overall foreign-born population in the United States to live in poverty and be Limited English Proficient (LEP) and are less likely to have a college degree and to be uninsured. Compared to the total immigrant population, a greater share of Dominicans are naturalized U.S. citizens...." https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/dominican-immigrants-united-states

W

windeguy

I am totally behind ending chain migration. I hope it does end in favor of allowing people with necessary job skills instead.

C

cobraboy

I am totally behind ending chain migration. I hope it does end in favor of allowing people with necessary job skills instead.
Immigration should be based on merit, and not Social Justice.

N

NALs

Definitely. Too many people that shouldn't be migrating actually do that. The DR has quite a few towns where most of the original settlers, including the founders, now live in the USA. Entire families (not just nuclear families, but extended family members) have left the country under that disguise. It simply is crazy in many areas of the DR and much of it happened in the last 20 to 30 years. For many people migrating is seen as an advancement, regardless if the person lives very well in the DR. Moving to the USA may actually be a step down for the livelihood of some people, but the fact that they are out of the DR and in the USA is enough for them to feel joy. For others it's a step up, but in reality many, if not most, aren't doing much to advance themselves. US Government social help is seen as an improvement for many people and doing all sorts of tricks to get the most benefits raging from food to housing and outright money is rife. This is just in the Dominican community that I'm talking about, the issue must be worst when other people are taken into account.

Many others are working hard in businesses of their own or becoming a professional in various areas, if not them then certainly on the kids. But many others are simply focusing on US Government help and is seen by many as an act of advancement. Needless to say that Dominicans that are advancing on their own efforts don't support those who have abusing the system and teaching it to their kids and others as their main goal in life.

Apparently, the money falls from the sky, not those people paying more in taxes than they are getting back.

C

cobraboy

US Government social help is seen as an improvement for many people and doing all sorts of tricks to get the most benefits raging from food to housing and outright money is rife. This is just in the Dominican community that I'm talking about, the issue must be worst when other people are taken into account.
On a trip to NYC in 2010 with my wife, her cousin took us to an underground used clothing boutique in Brooklyn in a brownstone apartment building.

Next door was a large room with at least 50 new Dominican immigrants, mostly illegal I was told, attending a lecture on How to Game the Free Cheese System, taught by a gal for $75 a head...

K

keepcoming

Very difficult to understand how a mother who has US residency (through daughter) can bring her adult children and their children to the USA just because of chain migration. Adult children that never worked or did anything in the DR are now able to migrate to the US under chain migration. The only real stipulation for the process is that the sponsor/sponsors have adequate income based on the poverty guidelines at the time. Of course there is the physical/police check but the main part is the sponsor income. This is the scenario for a distant family member of my spouse.

Pretty much as Nals stated, many of my spouse's distant family members went to the USA in this manner. To be honest I am not really convinced that their life's are any better living in the USA. In some cases you have 2 families living under one roof in a small apartment/home. Some struggling just to get by when in actuality their life's in DR IMO were better. Of course there are many who have worked hard and advanced in life.

IMO this type of chain migration needs to be ended. I understand migrant visas for spouses/minor children. These are a different class of migrant visas as opposed to migrant visas for adult children.

C

cobraboy

The US would not exist if this was law. Thankfully it will never be. Another asinine comment.
"Why" on both questions?

Fact is immigration prior to 1964 was done without the promise of Free Cheese. If you immigrated, you had to make it on your own without gubmint help.

D

Derfish

Very difficult to understand how a mother who has US residency (through daughter) can bring her adult children and their children to the USA just because of chain migration. Adult children that never worked or did anything in the DR are now able to migrate to the US under chain migration. The only real stipulation for the process is that the sponsor/sponsors have adequate income based on the poverty guidelines at the time. Of course there is the physical/police check but the main part is the sponsor income. This is the scenario for a distant family member of my spouse.

Pretty much as Nals stated, many of my spouse's distant family members went to the USA in this manner. To be honest I am not really convinced that their life's are any better living in the USA. In some cases you have 2 families living under one roof in a small apartment/home. Some struggling just to get by when in actuality their life's in DR IMO were better. Of course there are many who have worked hard and advanced in life.

IMO this type of chain migration needs to be ended. I understand migrant visas for spouses/minor children. These are a different class of migrant visas as opposed to migrant visas for adult children.

I fully agree. My in laws were Colombians and to find 3 families living in the same house to get by is ridiculous. I remember my wife going don to the Mercedes dealer and having her pic taken to send back to Colombia to show off her new car. Brings 'em on!

D

Derfish

"Why" on both questions?

Fact is immigration prior to 1964 was done without the promise of Free Cheese. If you immigrated, you had to make it on your own without gubmint help.

I believe you are repeating a myth. As far as I am concerned it is just Cubans with 'dry feet' that sign up for freebies including medical just by arriving in USA. Those sponsored the sponsor has to promise to support them. I did.

N

NALs

The US would not exist if this was law. Thankfully it will never be. Another asinine comment.
Canada exists and that's their system. Doesn't the US shares a border with them? Oh wait, they are right there. Its probably the most similar country to the USA in the world. :rolleyes: