US Covid-19 testing requirement goes into effect

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
PCR-Test-MainStreet-Family-Urgent-Care-e1610111766915.jpg

Effective Tuesday, 26 January 2021, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older must provide a negative Covid-19 viral test (PCR or antigen) taken within three calendar days of travel. Alternatively, travelers to the US may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from Covid-19 in the 90 days preceding travel. Check the US Center for Disease Control (CDC) website for additional information.

In the Dominican Republic, arrangements have been made for tourists staying at hotels covered with Dominican government special travel insurance to get tested for free at the hotel. Tourists headed this way should contact their hotel to find out about the facilities. Antigen tests (IgG and IgM) are readily available in the country.

Likewise, American Airlines makes it easy for their passengers, with the...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Dolores. The news releases says US tourists with the DR Covid travel insurance will get vaccinated free of charge. Is this correct or do they mean tested free of charge?

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
While all this is interesting, I'm having a bit of difficulty with the time frames listed.
I do intend to get to the DR. Traveling on my personal boat. Three days is quite impossible to do.
I will have gotten my vaccine, and will have the document to prove it. Including negative test.
So then, are ports of entry (besides airports) on par with the other officials?

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Sailor51... You will only need the antigen or PCR test if you are traveling to US territory with your boat. So far you will not have a problem entering. If you need an antigen test to enter US territory, you should check ahead to get names of labs that you should contact upon your arrival to get the test 72 hours prior to departure.

Remember a person can be a carrier of the disease, even when having been vaccinated.

• Love
Reactions: Sailor51

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
While all this is interesting, I'm having a bit of difficulty with the time frames listed.
I do intend to get to the DR. Traveling on my personal boat. Three days is quite impossible to do.
I will have gotten my vaccine, and will have the document to prove it. Including negative test.
So then, are ports of entry (besides airports) on par with the other officials?
no testing requirement to enter DR at present

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Sailor51... You will only need the antigen or PCR test if you are traveling to US territory with your boat. So far you will not have a problem entering. If you need an antigen test to enter US territory, you should check ahead to get names of labs that you should contact upon your arrival to get the test 72 hours prior to departure.

Remember a person can be a carrier of the disease, even when having been vaccinated.
While few people have "said" following vaccination you "could" be a carrier do you have some evidence that documents vaccinated people spreading the disease?

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
The US is not accepting a vaccinated person to enter without an antigen or PCR test in the past 72 hours. Masks are also required even for those that are vaccinated. Sailor51 stated he would be vaccinated and would have a negative test. But none of this is necessary for him to enter the DR, and, while he did not say his next port of call or the time frame, the vaccination would not be sufficient for him to re-enter the US, Puerto Rico or US Virgin Islands, if he is headed that way.

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The notice clearing states:

"Effective Tuesday, 26 January 2021, all airline passengers to the United States"

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
While few people have "said" following vaccination you "could" be a carrier do you have some evidence that documents vaccinated people spreading the disease?
Nobody yet knows if vaccinated people can still be carriers. Evidence to prove or disprove this is not coming soon.

I don't expect the test before you fly requirement to go away any time soon.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
First day at Cibao International Airport, 250 passengers prevented from traveling to the US. Lets hope PUJ, STI, and POP numbers are not the same. .

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
First day at Cibao International Airport, 250 passengers prevented from traveling to the US. Lets hope PUJ, STI, and POP numbers are not the same. .

I sure feel safer.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Windy
from the article

In the Dominican Republic, arrangements have been made for tourists staying at hotels covered with Dominican government special travel insurance to get tested for free at the hotel. Tourists headed this way should contact their hotel to find out about the facilities. Antigen tests (IgG and IgM) are readily available in the country.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Thank you everyone for the information. Cruising forums have little to say concerning covid other than the dangers. So the trip got pushed back a year.
By the way, once cleared in at Puerto Plata, I've little intentions of going anywhere else.
Well except maybe Samana.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
60 more left behind today in Santiago:

60 travelers are prevented from leaving Santiago today due to covid-19 test​

SANTIAGO.- More than 60 passengers who intended to travel to the United States this Wednesday through the Cibao International Airport, could not board the planes, because they showed up to the air terminal without properly complying with the protocol of presenting a negative test of covid-19, required by the North American government.
History repeats itself today, although in smaller numbers, compared to yesterday, when almost a thousand people were returned, it was assured from the public relations department of that airport.
Yilvin de la Cruz, an employee of Jet Blue and one of those responsible for reviewing the tests of travelers, had this morning the mission of detecting the failure of the passengers while they are in the check lines.
He assured that until flight 2536 of that airline, which took off today around 11:00 this morning bound for New York, only seven people could not board due to this inconvenience, fundamentally because they carried wrong tests.
He said that yesterday when the US government's measure came into effect.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
60 more left behind today in Santiago:

60 travelers are prevented from leaving Santiago today due to covid-19 test​

SANTIAGO.- More than 60 passengers who intended to travel to the United States this Wednesday through the Cibao International Airport, could not board the planes, because they showed up to the air terminal without properly complying with the protocol of presenting a negative test of covid-19, required by the North American government.
History repeats itself today, although in smaller numbers, compared to yesterday, when almost a thousand people were returned, it was assured from the public relations department of that airport.
Yilvin de la Cruz, an employee of Jet Blue and one of those responsible for reviewing the tests of travelers, had this morning the mission of detecting the failure of the passengers while they are in the check lines.
He assured that until flight 2536 of that airline, which took off today around 11:00 this morning bound for New York, only seven people could not board due to this inconvenience, fundamentally because they carried wrong tests.
He said that yesterday when the US government's measure came into effect.

Reports are coming in from all over the country of many more people (1000+)... This was not announced yesterday... I saw the embassy posting guidelines on where to get tested... I personally think this is only a smart move from the US... Not sure if these people do not read the news or what is the issue...

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

I hope the same, but in the sense that anyone that won't get tested before getting on a flight, is irresponsible towards their fellow passengers... So anyone not traveling with a test result, should not be traveling in the first place...

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro