US Envoy regrets Dominican Republic shuns gay tourists

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i must be really out of the loop. i have lived lo these many years, and a gay person has never affected my life adversely.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this guy is starting to rub me the wrong way, so to speak. i get it that he is gay, good for him but i don't really care. but he came here as a representative of USA, not an ambassador of international gay union. why do i never see anything about him being concerned about crime against american tourists? about brent lewis? about deportees? international policies? simplified processes for getting sick/dead citizens back to the USA? anything of value to american community as a whole? it's getting boring.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Where is the problem ???

176_omega.jpg

They might exchange fashion tips :p

Jan 9, 2004
this guy is starting to rub me the wrong way, so to speak. i get it that he is gay, good for him but i don't really care. but he came here as a representative of USA, not an ambassador of international gay union. why do i never see anything about him being concerned about crime against american tourists? about brent lewis? about deportees? international policies? simplified processes for getting sick/dead citizens back to the USA? anything of value to american community as a whole? it's getting boring.

That's because he has no serious credentials to even be an ambassador.

He has no education in any field related to diplomacy or international relations.

He did not come up through the diplomatic core.

He did however "bundle" over a million dollars for President Obama's election campaign....and was so rewarded.

Those career diplomats who have devoted a lifetime to their profession must be shaking their heads in disbelief.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Having a bible on the national flag is called a "hint."

Maybe Wally and his freakshow might have better luck in a different country.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Go for it !!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a totally HOT outfit. It makes me want to breakout my European cut speedo leopard print swimsuit and then go out with my favorite evening wear, leather but-less chaps.

We want pictures !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bunny:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That's because he has no serious credentials to even be an ambassador.

He has no education in any field related to diplomacy or international relations.

He did not come up through the diplomatic core.

He did however "bundle" over a million dollars for President Obama's election campaign....and was so rewarded.

Those career diplomats who have devoted a lifetime to their profession must be shaking their heads in disbelief.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

yeah, yeah. and Obama never had any serious credentials to be president.

it?s getting old, and tired.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Maintaining an embassy and its staff costs money and we pay for it with...wait for it...tax dollars.

Did you have additional questions about how we fund embassies and overseas military bases?

So we should close all the U.S. embassies and consulates all around the globe so we can save a few tax dollars? What are you suggesting here? Most (like 99.999%) of the work being performed at the U.S. embassy in Santo Domingo has nothing to do with any Gay issues but you have a problem with an opinion shared by one of the employees there and all of a sudden running an embassy is some huge waste of tax dollars?

You want to close the military bases, I'm with you after all they have lots of gays there too and they serve no constructive purpose.

As long as the embassy continues to process routine daily functions there is really nothing here to complain about. It's not like this Guy is dictating Dominican domestic policy. He merely offered an observation so un-bunch your panties. It's not that serious.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The power of what used to be called the "pink pound" overrides all other considerations!

At least one resort in Punta Cana/B?varo hosts celebrations of same-sex ceremonies, but not legal weddings. Although I didn't see this first hand, an acquaintance who works at one of the largest resorts said that they always had a lot of gay and lesbian couples staying there. It may have been by chance, or maybe the hotel is actively targeting that market?

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
So we should close all the U.S. embassies and consulates all around the globe so we can save a few tax dollars? What are you suggesting here? Most (like 99.999%) of the work being performed at the U.S. embassy in Santo Domingo has nothing to do with any Gay issues but you have a problem with an opinion shared by one of the employees there and all of a sudden running an embassy is some huge waste of tax dollars?

You want to close the military bases, I'm with you after all they have lots of gays there too and they serve no constructive purpose.

As long as the embassy continues to process routine daily functions there is really nothing here to complain about. It's not like this Guy is dictating Dominican domestic policy. He merely offered an observation so un-bunch your panties. It's not that serious.

You were unclear as to what tax dollars had to do with our embassies.

Your ensuing off-topic diatribe aside, I was simply explaining to you the role tax dollars play in funding our embassies. Hopefully I was of some help in clearing that up for you.

I'm not insensitive to the fact this is a highly emotional (and personal) issue for you and a few others here. Nobody is looking to "out you" or whatever that is.

In any event, I think we can all agree that homosexual activists shouldn't be using tax dollars to pimp their agenda in a foreign country under the protection of our embassy.

Wally could be putting US lives at risk in the DR.

Jan 9, 2004
In any event, I think we can all agree that homosexual activists shouldn't be using tax dollars to pimp their agenda in a foreign country under the protection of our embassy.

Interesting point!

No more than if he were black or Evangelical or whatever....he should use his power/our tax dollars to say the DR shuns black tourists, or Evangelical tourists, etc.

And while we are on the subject, what evidence did he offer to support his claim that the DR government "shuns" gay tourists. I read the article, but it offered nothing to support a "shunning."

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Firstly you have to question the accuracy of the DT story ..I would suggest that it has little likihood to be accurate ..and even if it was ,who cares what Brewster says ..Why not report on an ambassador from another country just for once

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
The only thing that bothers me about this mess is that there are larger issues that an ambassador could weigh in on when talking to the media.

Does any country promote themselves as the gay friendly island? It seems to me that marketing pesos would go to where they have the most impact. I'm sure the DR already gets tons of gay tourism. It's not like there are anti gay and lesbian signs at the airports.

I also dislike how not actively supporting something now implies you are against it. Not everyone in the world has to take up every cause. Maybe the tourism officials just don't care about gay tourism either way and they think spending money with targeted advertising would be a waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.