US orders stop to Central Romana sugar exports

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Very easy for La Romana Central to resolve this problem.
Get out there and compete in the world sugar market.
They are not forced to do business with the 🇺🇲 .

Reactions: RDKNIGHT

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
At the en of the day who is going to be affected the most are the sugar bracers Los Haitianos. Los Vicini have all the money in the world after 100 years exploding the Haitians and Dominicans too.

This is nothing new is just a political agenda in order to impose economic blockage to DR.

JJ

Reactions: Big

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Central Romana makes up most of the sugar export and almost all of the molasses, all of it to the USA. Quite frankly, sugar csne plantations and mills exists msinly to satisfy the USA since almost all that is harvested in the DR goes to the USA and the purpose the modern sugar cane industry was created starting at the end of the 1870's was always because of the USA. Without the USA, there would hardly be sugar cane plantations in the DR. In fact, the Central Romana was created mostly by American investors from the NYC area. Until the arrival of American investors (along with some Cubans and Puerto Ricans) and created the modern sugar industry, what existed was on a rather small scale and depended almost entirely on Dominican labor. It was with the creation of the modern sugar industry that the American et al investors preferred to import foreign labor into the DR, first some Puerto Ricans, then Covolos from the British West Indies, and in the 1920's Haitians. Keep in mind that when Haitians began yo be imported to work in the sugar plantations, the DR and Haiti were under US military occupations and these workers essentially went to work in American-owned sugar plantations as most at that time were owned by Americans. Until then Haitian that migrated to work in the DR were very few few since in no sector that was the norm. Very often the owners didn't live in the DR, but rather in the USA, especially NYC and its suburbs spanning into Westchester County in NY, Southwestern Connecticut, and Northern New Jersey. Trujillo basically expropriated (forced sale) most of the sugar plantations and mills owned by the Americans. At the time of his death the csmpaign had started in what would had ended as the expropiation of Central Romana itself, but what happen in May 1961 put an abrupt end to that.

Sugar makes up a very small part of Dominican exports and anything related to the sugar industry is a drop in the economic bucket.

The one issue this could create as a ban of importing sugar from the Central Romana is essentially a ban on importing Dominican sugar since it mskes up such a large percentsge and from its creation the Central Romana has exported 100% of its sugar to the USA, is the effect on the sugar quota. All the other sugar mills can't supply the part of the quota supplied by the Central Romana. So, inevitably for the first time ever the DR could not fulfill the sugar quota it has with the USA. This could hsve repercussions on the agreement as it would be broken by one of the parties despite it was created by the other one.

Last edited:

Big

Apr 24, 2019
The nerve of this company with 10s of thousands of employees to not pay them all the same salary as they pay their chemical engineers, accountants and factory managers. A company that has been around 100 years should be housing their employees in castles in Cap Cana. ....More hatred directed at big business is a broken record !.... next they will all want brand new SUV's

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I just checked their web site. They are hiring Industrial and mechanical engineers (of course). It is no surprise a man swinging a machete is not going to be compensated the same as a person with an advanced degree.

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
I just checked their web site. They are hiring Industrial and mechanical engineers (of course). It is no surprise a man swinging a machete is not going to be compensated the same as a person with an advanced degree.
Who/where is it being said that they should be paid the same?

Ever hear of exploitation? Even if working under those conditions is better than Haiti does not make it right.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Who/where is it being said that they should be paid the same?

Ever hear of exploitation? Even if working under those conditions is better than Haiti does not make it right.
Do you have an EVIDENCE that these workers are FORCED to work. If you lived here any length of time you would know that they come here looking for these jobs........

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Just because someone needs a job does not give employer the right to mistreat them.
Plenty of evidence exists to to prove the mistreatment.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Is someone seriously comparing the pay of a engineer with a laborer in a cane field ❓
:rolleyes:
If so, what is the point❓
That the cane field worker should get an advanced degree and apply for a engineering position❓

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just because someone needs a job does not give employer the right to mistreat them.
Plenty of evidence exists to to prove the mistreatment.
Tell me something. Do you want this job? I think not. Well they have the SAME CHOICE as you. They are not in handcuffs. They can just go back where they came from. But they don't because they want THE JOB......................

Reactions: bob saunders

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I was not born into a family that was granted the kind of privilege that would allow me to display the attitude that some do in their posts.
I've never been able to watch the servants polish the silver spoon they were going to use for their next meal.

Just because someone need a job does not give the employer to the right to mistreat them.

Personally, I have been in bad financial positions throughout my life and have had to take jobs that were were not the equivalent of cutting cane in the field, but were not my first choices.
Yes, I was handcuffed.
By the system.
And I played the cards that I was dealt and made the choice because taking a job that was not my preference was preferable to being hungry and sleeping in the street.
But I was never mistreated by my employers other than discrimination.
Now, the job conditions may be tough...but the issue is mistreatment.

The company in question does not have to do business in the 🇺🇲 .
Sugar is a commodity valued and purchased all over the world.

Plenty of sky above, but I prefer flying nap of the earth.
Takes a lot more skill and the scenery is better.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It does not achieve anything to go around and around in circles because it is quite apparent that there are two or three people here who will never change their mind as to the sufferings of these poor cane field workers no matter what is written . I always admire people who care for others and it would seem that there are those people here . Here is hoping for the best .

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Fact of the matter is, one cannot oblige someone-- the US in this instance--- to buy your products---sugar and co here.

If your business modeled is so flawed that you depend on that client, well then you STFU and comply with their demands. Period. Other wise sell it elsewhere.

Why some posters on the board are acting like Karens and feel that Central Romana should be entitled to dump their sugar, on their terms, all because of some quotas of some sort, is beyond me.

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Your privilege and delusion is really showing.
I see you have at least one of the woke words in use. No, it is called the reality of the situation. Your naivete is showing.
Let me explain the conditions of the sugar cane cutters as best as I can. They come here on a visa exemption because of a deal done by the sugar barons and the DR Government. They arrive with nothing. Their home is just one room about 12 x 12 with no kitchen and no bathroom and often only a dirt floor . There is no electricity and no running water although normally there is a tap for all rooms that are in rows. These are the worst of the bateys that are scattered around the huge area of the La Romana Central cane fields . To reach these small bateys normally you must take a dirt road that is used by heavy equipment and access is sometimes forbidden because everything is owned by la Romana Central. The area of la Romana Central extends from the Rio Soco all the way to the road between Higuey and Boca de Yuma and to the north it extends to el Seibo, it is easy to see on a map. So how do these poor people go to work or to seek medical assistance .. they must walk or sometimes they can find a motor bike .I seldom have seen these people in La Romana or Higuey and I have never seen the children at school. Sometimes charitable people try to leave clothes for them.
Going up the scale there are some bateys that you can see off the road between la Romana and El Seibo, These are made of wood and some have electricity and some do not and then further up the scale there are small towns or large bateys and there are regular gua guas running say from Guaymaral and La romana .. Even further up the scale there are rows and rows of what would be slums in any other country built for more senor and definitely Dominican employees. Why slums because the houses are so low and so close together that they become furnaces in summer. But the real offences to humanity are those relating to the cane cutters.
How can these poor workers escape their plight, it is nigh impossible because they have no money because the pay is so poor and they have no valid visa except to work in the cane fields for the sugar companies.
Maybe I should mention this back breaking work done in constant temperatures of over 100 degrees by people with mal nutrition. Maybe I should mention the total indifference by la Romana Central to the plight of these cane cutters or the fact that the Church turns a blind eye to all this.
Seems like some bateys have schools and regular housing. https://www.mghihp.edu/sites/default/files/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/IMG_1270_4.jpg