US orders stop to Central Romana sugar exports

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I see you have at least one of the woke words in use. No, it is called the reality of the situation. Your naivete is showing.

Seems like some bateys have schools and regular housing. https://www.mghihp.edu/sites/default/files/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/IMG_1270_4.jpg
BATEY BRADOR IS, that is the other picture you chose to ignore. https://www.mghihp.edu/sites/default/files/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/IMG_1270_4.jpg
The point is lots of the Bateys have schools, medical clinics...etc. Yes, most housing is pretty bad, like it is for 90 percent of poor Dominicans. You chose to describe the worst conditions as that was the norm. https://www.kiva.org/blog/sugarcane-industry-brings-haitians-to-the-dominican-republic

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
BATEY BRADOR IS, that is the other picture you chose to ignore. https://www.mghihp.edu/sites/default/files/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/IMG_1270_4.jpg
The point is lots of the Bateys have schools, medical clinics...etc. Yes, most housing is pretty bad, like it is for 90 percent of poor Dominicans. You chose to describe the worst conditions as that was the norm.
Give me a break please . I know Batey Brador quite well and it is in the province of San Pedro but it is in the low hills close to El Seibo . It is one of the more pleasant bateys. i have written already that on the road from la Romana to El Seibo there are the slightly better class of bateys and even a small town that is called Guaymaral that does have a small school and even a small hospital . The point is that most Bateys do NOT have schools or medical clinics . Please as you obviously not been to these places and do not know anything about them ,please just go in peace and do not bug me any more .

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Give me a break please . I know Batey Brador quite well and it is in the province of San Pedro but it is in the low hills close to El Seibo . It is one of the more pleasant bateys. i have written already that on the road from la Romana to El Seibo there are the slightly better class of bateys and even a small town that is called Guaymaral that does have a small school and even a small hospital . The point is that most Bateys do NOT have schools or medical clinics . Please as you obviously not been to these places and do not know anything about them ,please just go in peace and do not bug me any more .
Nan said he has been to many and he dissagrees with you.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Who/where is it being said that they should be paid the same?

Ever hear of exploitation? Even if working under those conditions is better than Haiti does not make it right.
Cry me a river, no one is forcing them to do anything.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So, since you know everything is the following a true statement:
The company has offered facilities for housing to more than 5,000 employees and workers, through a modern program in which the beneficiary receives at no cost, the gross housing in addition to providing interest free funding facilities for the construction of floors, doors and windows.

The company has in its 369 bateyes multiple dwellings for singles and 5,372 homes, at no cost to its employees and families. These houses have water service and electricity supplied by the company for the nearest to the city of La Romana communities. Other service receive state electricity corporation.

In addition to this, about 400 employees and workers live in houses and apartments owned by Central Romana, rent free.

Reactions: SKY

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
  • Haha
Reactions: Big

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Is this all lies as well Kipling : In rural areas the company has built and maintains 59 schools operated by the Dominican Government through the Ministry of Education, where more than eight thousand of the workers children benefit from it for free.

As a complementary service, the company provides free school transportation in both rural and urban areas, providing access to students whose schools are distant from their homes.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There have been schools on bateys for many decades. My mother-in-law taught reading and writing on one in Villa Altagracia over 60 years ago to the Haitians who lived there.

Reactions: SKY and NanSanPedro

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
For the final time, Bob Saunders you simply do not know what you are talking about. La Romana Central is a large conglomerate with the management of Casa de Campo . a large meat industry with slaughtering and packaging, it has the la Romana airport and it has the cruise terminal and it has the largest hospital and it has hundreds of machines and trains that require engineers and servicing . It provides residences to many senior employees . The bateys along the El Seibo road are primarily for the over seers and those slightly up the ladder. The bateys that the US government are concerned about are far different . Now, before you write again, maybe a quick trip to see for yourself might be the best course if action. Good night

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This was published today in various Dominican newspapers from Central Romana. I'm not going to translate it, so if anyone else wants to go right ahead.

888A7CC5-89EC-45F7-80EB-E0AB2F015D04.jpeg

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Reference is made to post #54

What I would like to see is independent confirmation of the information being provided by Central Romana.
Invite an independent news agency and give them full access to confirm everything in the press release including the pictures.
They have nothing to hide right ❓

NEVER HAPPEN :rolleyes:
😂

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Just because someone needs a job does not give employer the right to mistreat them.
Plenty of evidence exists to to prove the mistreatment.
In rural areas the company has built and maintains 59 schools operated by the Dominican Government through the Ministry of Education, where more than eight thousand of the workers children benefit from it for free.

As a complementary service, the company provides free school transportation in both rural and urban areas, providing access to students whose schools are distant from their homes. much of the evidence appears to be out of date. Sounds like mistreatment

Reactions: NanSanPedro

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

What I would like to see is independent confirmation of the information being provided by Central Romana.
Invite an independent news agency and give them full access to confirm everything in the press release including the pictures.

😂
Do you know of an independent news agency that doesn't have an agenda from corporate headquarters? I think it falls on the accusers to provide proof of mistreatment.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

😂
HaHaHa.....If this isn't the "Pot Calling the Kettle Black" I don't know what is..............

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It does not achieve anything to go around and around in circles because it is quite apparent that there are two or three people here who will never change their mind as to the sufferings of these poor cane field workers no matter what is written . I always admire people who care for others and it would seem that there are those people here . Here is hoping for the best .
Seeing that you always admire people who care for others why not take a trip out there and tell the workers they need to quit. Of course you would need good HEALTH INSURANCE because you would not get much of a reception.....................

Reactions: Big

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If the Sugar cane company police have as strict a control as you say, how have you managed to visit all these little bateys in the middle of the cane fields. I have both empathy and sympathy for the poor cane workers and their families. That doesn't mean that the company isn't doing far more than you say. There are always three sides to a story, his, hers, and the truth.