US Passport Photocopies

rey

Jan 2, 2007
IT SEEMS LIKE EVERY WHERE I GO IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC TO CONDUCT BUSINESS SUCH AS BIT NOT LIMITED TO CARIBE EXPRESS , WESTERN UNION , BANKS , RENT A CAR , REAL STATE , LAW FIRM , GOVERNMENT AGENCY , HOTELS , CASA DE CAMBIO , ETC ETC ,THEY WANT TO MAKE A COPY OF MY US PASSPORT , I AM CONCERN THAT MY US PASSPORT PHOTOCOPY BE USE FOR A POSSIBLE FRAUD OR SCAM

AM I BEING PARANOID ?

IS IT POSSIBLE THAT ONE CAN DO A FRAUD/SCAM WITH JUST A PHOTOCOPY OF MY US PASSPORT ?

CAN ANYTHING BE DO TO HARM ME WITH JUST A PHOTOCOPY OF MY US PASSPORT ?

CAN SOMEONE OPEN A BANK ACCOUNT IN DR WITH MY US PASSPORT PHOTOCOPY ?

THANK YOU

Please reply back to this thread

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Personally, I'm used to it and don't consider it a problem. I've had mine copied several times and nothing bad has happened to date. Hotels and financial institutions for the most part. Also all leases I've signed.

rey

Jan 2, 2007
Ok , thanks

Follow up question : Can you give a few TIPS on how to be safe in santiago or Santo Domingo ( cities ) ?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
No bling/flash. Stay away from seedy areas. Hide emergency cash. While this may sound silly, I use a pair of shorts between my undies and my outer pants to keep my wallet in. Then I only keep small bills in my outer pocket.

I have heard of someone being mugged by an unmarked taxi driver. It never has happened to me. But still, use uber or a taxi with obvious markings to be sure.

I'm sure others have better ideas than mine and I'm happy to listen.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
When walking about don’t listen to headphones don’t walk around with a fancy new backpack in tourist clothes, avoid moto conchos, look in every direction when walking (Dominicans drive motos/scooters on the sidewalk with no caution or defensive skills, and against traffic also). Ceramic tile can be slippery as ice when wet. The list goes on.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
For years my passport has been copied here a hundred times never a problem so far

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Ok , thanks

Follow up question : Can you give a few TIPS on how to be safe in santiago or Santo Domingo ( cities ) ?
In Santo Domingo there is no such thing a staying safe, only staying alert.
Different type of criminal down there.
Here in Santiago just avoid English speaking Dominicans/ Haitians who approach you
in the street and you'll be fine.
Note: the women in both cities can be just as dangerous as the men so buyer
(should you choose to go that route) beware.

Reactions: Big

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
When walking about don’t listen to headphones don’t walk around with a fancy new backpack in tourist clothes, avoid moto conchos, look in every direction when walking (Dominicans drive motos/scooters on the sidewalk with no caution or defensive skills, and against traffic also). Ceramic tile can be slippery as ice when wet. The list goes on.
This post is a great example of an acceptable risk for some but not for others. I totally agree with the ceramic tiles warning. As far as motoconchos on the sidewalk, I've never had a close call to this day. They seem to respect peds have the right of way. As far as taking one, that's the only way I like to fly, as long as they have their ID on the back of their helmet. Acceptable risk to me, but not to others. Completely understand.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
IT SEEMS LIKE EVERY WHERE I GO IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC TO CONDUCT BUSINESS SUCH AS BIT NOT LIMITED TO CARIBE EXPRESS , WESTERN UNION , BANKS , RENT A CAR , REAL STATE , LAW FIRM , GOVERNMENT AGENCY , HOTELS , CASA DE CAMBIO , ETC ETC ,THEY WANT TO MAKE A COPY OF MY US PASSPORT , I AM CONCERN THAT MY US PASSPORT PHOTOCOPY BE USE FOR A POSSIBLE FRAUD OR SCAM

AM I BEING PARANOID ?

IS IT POSSIBLE THAT ONE CAN DO A FRAUD/SCAM WITH JUST A PHOTOCOPY OF MY US PASSPORT ?

CAN ANYTHING BE DO TO HARM ME WITH JUST A PHOTOCOPY OF MY US PASSPORT ?

CAN SOMEONE OPEN A BANK ACCOUNT IN DR WITH MY US PASSPORT PHOTOCOPY ?

THANK YOU

Please reply back to this thread
I have only been asked for ID at Caribe Express, never at any other Casa de Cambio.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
I have only been asked for ID at Caribe Express, never at any other Casa de Cambio.
That's interesting. I've only used Caribe once (in Santiago) and they didn't ask. Maybe because it was crowded and busy? Up the street at Marco's cambio I'm always asked, although they never take a copy.