US Passport Renewal in the DR

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Has anyone paid their US passport renewal online? If so, was it simple or do you have any tips?
I paid it online. Seemed pretty simple to me. Then, you print out the receipt and bring that with you to Domex along with the other required documents.

rey

Jan 2, 2007
Has anyone here at DR1 forum done it ? I mean has anyone gone thru the whole process and completed and actually gotten their US passport this way ( VIA MAIL thru domex ) ?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I did it half way. I took my passport to the consulate, and they had it delivered to me via DOMEX.

• Haha
Reactions: CristoRey and rey

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It might take a little longer to get your new US passport in the DR. There is a backlog.

Hmm, where have I heard this before? :unsure:

Maybe this is a hint!

The US copying the DR?

Well, not quite. Unlike Dominican passports which have been backlogged too, they don't put a sticker to the old passport so you can still use it despite it's expired until you get your new renewal passport. The US is making you wait until it arrives. Planning to go abroad with an expired US passport? Think again, you might have to cancel your trip abroad. Yikes!

If you are a dual citizen (DR/USA) and your intended destination is a country that doesn't require a visa to Dominicans and your American passport is expired, there is no need to cancel. Just take your Dominican passport.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hmm, I wonder if they will let a dual citizen enter the US if they have an expired US passport but take both, the Dominican and the expired US passports to show to immigration?

Do you need a visa since your Dominican passport is the only one usable or will they let you in "off the hook" since you are a US citizen and that isn't dependent on the situation of the US passport?

US officials are known for sticking to the rules, but this is a special case since the US passport backlog isn't the fault of people with a US passport. Its the government that messed up.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Hmm, I wonder if they will let a dual citizen enter the US if they have an expired US passport but take both, the Dominican and the expired US passports to show to immigration?

Do you need a visa since your Dominican passport is the only one usable or will they let you in "off the hook" since you are a US citizen and that isn't dependent on the situation of the US passport?

US officials are known for sticking to the rules, but this is a special case since the US passport backlog isn't the fault of people with a US passport. Its the government that messed up.
Without a valid U.S. passport or U.S. visa, you are probably not getting pass the Dominican airport.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Has anyone here at DR1 forum done it ? I mean has anyone gone thru the whole process and completed and actually gotten their US passport this way ( VIA MAIL thru domex ) ?
I did it using Sosua DOMEX office. No issues.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Without a valid U.S. passport or U.S. visa, you are probably not getting pass the Dominican airport.
I agree. I tried to use my DR passport the last time I flew to the US and they told me I would have to use my US passport to get on that plane since my DR passport did not have a US visa in it. So I re-did my E-Ticket using my non-expired US passport.

That said given the proper conditions a US citizen should be able to fly home on an expired US passport:

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
I just now completed the online payment process, it was pretty simple all in all.

I had gone to Banco Popular to request a certified check, and the manager informed be that the day before, a person had come in with their certified check that had been returned by the embassy, and asked for their money back. The manager did not exactly why it had been returned. The bank did return the money, minus the commission fee, of course. So, if you are considering getting a certified check for this purpose, please ask your bank if they have had any issues.

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
Domex made sure I had everything needed including 2 photos (as stated in the list of requirements).

• Your most recent U.S. passport and a copy (This is the copy I missed by my mistake and had to get of the photo page before DOMEX would send it)·
  • Two (2) new 2×2 inches passport photographs that meet standard requirements
  • A completed, legible and signed, and dated Form DS-82.
  • $130.00 non-refundable application fee (See payment instructions below)
  • If applicable: Evidence of Change of Name – e.g. Marriage Certificate, Statutory Declaration, or Court Order (name change must have taken place after your passport was issued)
It's interesting that the DS-82 asks for only one photo to be attached. Do you recall if you stapled two photos to the form or just one and included one more in the package? A small detail, don't know it's important or not. Thanks!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I can't remember if I sent one or two(?). Domex will know how many you need. It seems impossible to get a passport foto made w/o getting four of them. Bring/send two just in case.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
My picture was not the correct size so I had to leave and get another picture taken then return to Domex. They check everything. I also had to go around the corner and buy a manila envelope to send the documents. Whatever is not right they will have you fix before they send the stuff out.

Reactions: JLSawmam

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
I can't remember if I sent one or two(?). Domex will know how many you need. It seems impossible to get a passport foto made w/o getting four of them. Bring/send two just in case.
I'll send two for sure, just curious about attaching them both to the form or leaving one loose.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'll send two for sure, just curious about attaching them both to the form or leaving one loose.
I just left them loose in the little envelope I got the fotos in. I was impressed with how thorough Domex was in checking everything. They'll make sure everything is right.

Reactions: JLSawmam