US President Biden praises DR for anti-corruption in his speech at Summit for Democracy

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Joe-Biden-anticorrupcion-RD-Al-Momento-1024x568.png

US President Joe Biden praised the Dominican Republic for efforts to fight corruption. The remark was part of his keynote address at the Summit for Democracy 2023.

On Wednesday, 29 March 2023, the Summit for Democracy’s five co-hosts — the United States, Costa Rica, Netherlands, Republic of Korea, and Zambia — kicked off the summit, with each co-host leader hosting a live, fully virtual, thematic, leader-level plenary session.

US President Biden’s address was titled: United States: Advancing Technology for Democracy.

In his remarks, President Biden said that the Dominican Republic has modernized its legislation against corruption.

Diario Libre observes that President Biden could be referring to the passing of the Extinction of Domain Law during the Abinader administration. The newspaper also highlights the prosecuting of government officers for corruption...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
If former Secretary of State during 45's administration, Mike Pompeo, had not made that pivotal phone call to Danilo Medina during the days of the possible D.R. Constitution hijacking, the possibilities of a PLD victory were real, and the status quo would've remained:

Stealing at every opportunity, with Jean Alain & co at PGR; OISOE, with Francisco Pagán and his cadre of thieves; the generals with CESTUR; Hacienda; Port Authority; prison system; education department, etc... to name just a few.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If former Secretary of State during 45's administration, Mike Pompeo, had not made that pivotal phone call to Danilo Medina during the days of the possible D.R. Constitution hijacking, the possibilities of a PLD victory were real, and the status quo would've remained:

Stealing at every opportunity, with Jean Alain & co at PGR; OISOE, with Francisco Pagán and his cadre of thieves; the generals with CESTUR; Hacienda; Port Authority; prison system; education department, etc... to name just a few.
History will show the current crop of politicians has just as much rot.

Reactions: aarhus

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Did the DR actual change any legislation to counter corruption?
I don't know Mr. Citizen of the Dominican Republic.
It would seem like you would be in a better position to tell us that than anyone.

But, even if no laws were changed (and I don't know that for a fact).
Everyone should know about prosecutorial discretion.
Maybe that is what changed?
I don't know.
Help a gringo negro out.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
History will show the current crop of politicians has just as much rot.
That may be accurate, but the D.R. had never had an independent PGR. Miriam Germán Brito is the exception.

And Danilo and company did it to themselves, after they played dirty, lied about her to her face and to the nation, and then removed her from the Supreme Court.

It was obvious they thought they would remain in power 'til the cows come home, and never counted on the chickens coming home to roost.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
That may be accurate, but the D.R. had never had an independent PGR. Miriam Germán Brito is the exception.

And Danilo and company did it to themselves, after they played dirty, lied about her to her face and to the nation, and then removed her from the Supreme Court.

It was obvious they thought they would remain in power 'til the cows come home, and never counted on the chickens coming home to roost.
I remember when the choice was between Leonel or Danilo and my wife commented that Danilo was a snake and would end up destroying the PLD. There was no doubt that they had become arrogant.

Reactions: Lucifer

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I remember when the choice was between Leonel or Danilo and my wife commented that Danilo was a snake and would end up destroying the PLD. There was no doubt that they had become arrogant.
I guess she was right Bob....what is her take on Abinader ?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Well if there’s anyone that knows about corruption Brandon’s your man. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Better hope he doesn’t mention that the DR should be joining him in banning gas stoves. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Natural gas or propane have been one of the cleanest sources for heating and cooking ever known. Maybe we should all revert to being "Haiti" and cut down trees to heat kettles in the backyard ?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Probably their biggest screwup in the entire administration. I knew that would come back to haunt them.

Reactions: Lucifer