US to DR, carrying more than 10,000 us dollars

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
Any thoughts or words of wisdom on coming into the DR from USA with over 10,000 dollars? I am buying some appliances this trip besides staying 50 days so I feel i might need it.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You would need to declare that amount with immigration/customs.

You'll need to declare that amount with US customs at your departure airport and fill out a form before going through security. Ask the airline counter staff where, there is usually a publicly accessible CPB office close to check in. On arrival in the DR. mark your customs declaration as appropriate, present your export form from the US and declare the cash to DR customs. You should be good to go after they count it. Watch them like a hawk.

Reactions: keepcoming

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Do NOT do it. Once you declare it on leaving the US you will have nothing but problems. One of them is you will be flagged in US Customs permanently whenever you arrive in the US.............Take a check and get it cashed in the DR..............Not to mention your arrival in the DR will not be very pleasant for sure.................

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Do NOT do it. Once you declare it on leaving the US you will have nothing but problems. One of them is you will be flagged in US Customs permanently whenever you arrive in the US.............Take a check and get it cashed in the DR..............Not to mention your arrival in the DR will not be very pleasant for sure.................
This is so true, I (we) have firsthand experience with this. It is not as bad now, but for a number of years after I (we) did the monetary declaration, I (we) were stopped every single time I (we) traveled in/out of the US.

Reactions: colmcb

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Thanks folks. What locations in Santiago will cash a personal check from a US bank?
Quezada money exchange cashes US checks, but you may need to know someone that deals with them. They are reliable and maybe you can work with them. But they are not in Santiago. Santo Domingo would be the closest.

If you look at this on the top you will see US checks............

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I've traveled with more and did not declare it.
It's a silly rule.
Plenty of people have gold chains worth more than that or quarter million dollar diamond rings, a Patek Philippe watch worth well more than that.
Sure it's meant to catch drug dealers or tax evaders - but $10K just isn't much of a high threshold anymore.

Reactions: Fulano2

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It's a silly rule.
Plenty of people have gold chains worth more than that or quarter million dollar diamond rings, a Patek Philippe watch worth well more than that.
Sure it's meant to catch drug dealers or tax evaders - but $10K just isn't much of a high threshold anymore.
You figure to get away with it. But I guarantee if you are caught with it you will lose it and be subject to a possible arrest...........

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
It's a silly rule.
Might seem like a silly rule, but get caught, the consequences won't seem silly.

Reactions: cavok

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Carry a few money orders or managers checks totalling more than $10K and you're fine.
Carry cash for $10,001 and your a hardened criminal. But carry $9,999.99 and you're a successful businessman.
Seems archaine - and it's really a convenient excuse for government to sieze your assets - something they've been doing since the Roman times.
I used to carry larger sums in Swiss Francs (over $10 K) - nobody knew their value in dollars and I never declared it.

Reactions: Juan Bosch

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
  • It's the combined value of all your currency and monetary instruments that matters. For example, if you have $7,000 and 5,000 euros, you would need to report that, because that's over $10,000 in value. The same is true if you have $5,000 and a $6,000 money order.

• Members of a family residing in one household must declare if the members are collectively carrying over $10,000. If you and your wife are each carrying $6,000, you'd need to report that.

• Pocket change matters if you're close to the limit. Let's say you have exactly $10,000 in your carryon. That's not more than $10,000, so you wouldn't need to report it -- unless you also have any other money on you, like $5 in your wallet.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
It's a silly rule.
I have done the same (when €500 notes were still accepted)
There is always the risk that íf you get through customs without hassle they call a friend from the barrio and will follow you to assalt you.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
By the way more people have lost money to Civil Forfeiture at US airports on Domestic flights where you don't have to declare it than on International flights. You have 25K for example and TSA sees it they won't take it but you will meet two friendly Homeland Security officers at the gate who WILL take it and give you a receipt. Good luck on ever seeing it again. If you don't believe me do a bit of research on the topic.......................

Reactions: cavok

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Any thoughts or words of wisdom on coming into the DR from USA with over 10,000 dollars? I am buying some appliances this trip besides staying 50 days so I feel i might need it. It's a piece of cake. Just bring the withdrawal receipt and some Bank Startements for the last few weeks and just in case some proof where the money came from (before it reached your Bank Account). And than go to the "declare" Counter.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
There is zero wisdom in arriving with 10K cash in the DR.
Business is conducted in different safe manner.
I am confused as to why there is a good reason to do this. Not even that it is that large amount of money. If it is appliances one seeks, isn't a credit card the best tool.

Reactions: dot and NanSanPedro

ando1991

Dec 5, 2016
Don't do it.
Just purchase with your credit card and take money out at bank with debit card when cash is needed. I wouldn't have $10,000 cash in hand even in the states. Too risky.

Reactions: dot and JD Jones
Nov 9, 2023
SC
You could even loose it before aduanas if you are stupid enough. My wife once found several thousands of euro’s under a seat while collecting her stuff in an almost empty airplane. Didn’t ask who’s money it was because she already knew the answer.