US to DR, carrying more than 10,000 us dollars

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
we are getting good mileage with this post
IMO it is important to know what alternatives are available instead of bringing a large amount of cash. While many of us who have lived here for a while know the ins and outs, newer visitors, expats may not. People moving here, needing to make large purchases, etc...may need cash ready and available once they arrive in the DR. If I can help one person avoid what I (we) went through when bringing in over 10k some time ago, then it is well worth the thread/posts.

Reactions: bob saunders

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
IMO it is important to know what alternatives are available instead of bringing a large amount of cash. While many of us who have lived here for a while know the ins and outs, newer visitors, expats may not. People moving here, needing to make large purchases, etc...may need cash ready and available once they arrive in the DR. If I can help one person avoid what I (we) went through when bringing in over 10k some time ago, then it is well worth the thread/posts.
RT My Bad

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
My cards are with Dominican banks....but I could do the same 25 years ago with my Canadian visa card, guess you can't do it in the USA...they want to make money from your debts!!!
Seems to me that if you have the money to "front-load" on your card, you also have the money to pay the full monthly balance and they don't make anything from you either. I know you're talking about being able to do it and access cash here, but just saying.