US unhappy with all the drug busts DR agents are doing.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
U.S. to trim funds to Dominican Republic?s war on drugs, despite major busts

SANTO DOMINGO.- United States ambassador Raul Yzaguirre revealed Thursday that Washington will trim funding to Dominican Republic?s war on drug trafficking, for which the Caribbean nation will have to confront the problem with more efficiency and dedication.

The diplomat?s statement comes in the wake of major drug busts by the country?s Antinarcotics Agency (DNCD) in 2011 with 6,862 kilos seized, and the first few weeks this year, which the its president, general Rolando Rosado attributes to the presence of Dominican intercept planes and heightened cooperation with its U.S. par.

Yzaguirre said halting the flow of drugs is a topic of much importance for both nations and that the U.S. Government is very satisfied with Santo Domingo?s cooperation.

Yzaguirre, speaking with reporters during a visit to the Central Electoral Board (JCE) with other U.S. diplomats, affirmed that no country in the world is making enough efforts to fight drug trafficking. ?The efforts are going to be trimmed. The budget is going to be more limited. In the future they?re going to have to be more efficient and dedicated to prevent the flow of drugs."

The announcement comes one week after Dominican ambassador in Washington, An?bal de Castro, urged the U.S. Government to assume greater responsibility in the war on drugs trafficking and increase funding to wage it in the Caribbean, adding that the fight against narcotics is a shared responsibility.

Figures from the U.S. Embassy reveal that Washington provided US$73.0 million for the Caribbean Basin Security Initiative last year and a similar figure would?ve been requested for this year, of which the country received US$6.0 million in 2010.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...ominican-Republics-war-on-drugs-despite-major

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I have mixed feelings about this news. One one hand the US is trillions of dollars in debt. Cuts need to be made everywhere.
On the other hand 6 million dollars plus all the equipment and manpower has been given to the DR in 2010 yet the drug trafficking increased. I won't even get into the corruption by DR officials. That corruption is like throwing the donated money out the window.
It is a nasty problem that I would like to see solved. It looks like the DR will have to do more of the solving. I am not sure that they want to. If they stop the drugs then what industry can they scam money from?
Personally I would like to see the US keep sending the aid to the DR.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Something really stinks...I don't understand why The US instead of trying to help countries like The DR who are actually trying to do something about this problem fights them all the way, reduce any help, etc...They were against The DR getting the Super Tucanos why? I would have thought they would be glad and would even help to pay for those. What does The DEA have to gain from this? Bottom line this a huuuuge business and The DEA, The US government, The DR government and everyone if making tons of dough...there's no real desire to stop the flow of drugs into The US.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Something really stinks...I don't understand why The US instead of trying to help countries like The DR who are actually trying to do something about this problem fights them all the way, reduce any help, etc...They were against The DR getting the Super Tucanos why? I would have thought they would be glad and would even help to pay for those. What does The DEA have to gain from this? Bottom line this a huuuuge business and The DEA, The US government, The DR government and everyone if making tons of dough...there's no real desire to stop the flow of drugs into The US.

Ain't that the truth!!!

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Something really stinks, i agree. But not in the US . There is no US$ or EURO who comes from abroad reach his proper destination in the DR.
You only have to read the established newspaper in the DR to understand this.
You can read about the Super Tucanos deal too, its smelling corruption too. They buy their aircraft in Brazil, because when buying from US or Europe the " commission" don't fit.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Something really stinks, i agree. But not in the US .

Not in The US? R u kidding me? The US and its drug using community is the main reason for this problem. The DR is not (or wasn't until recently) a major drug using country, thus we really have to dog in this fight. I tell you I think The DR should just let all that drug pass through and pay lip service. Make a deal with the dealers that they won't deal internally and let Americans and Europeans deal with the problem in their own shores.

You can say what you want about the Super Tucanos, but the fact The DR has them seems to have reduced the drug air traffic from Venezuela / Colombia dramatically. The US should have helped The DR in this endeavor. What possible justification would they have to try to prevent The DR from getting these planes? I certainly can't see a reason...

If the deal was a corrupt deal? So what's new? The Dominican people should be the ones complaining as we're the ones paying for them...AFAIK The US didn't contribute a penny.

redfish46

Dec 17, 2007
no telling what percentage of us and euro aid dollars goes into villas and jeepetas but the drug problem in the dr is bad too, not just in trafficking and it aint gonna change imo

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
The U.S. has a very long history with the Dominican Republic. Sometimes a rocky one. Initially they loved Trujillo because he was staunchly anti-communist and the Kennedy administration was terrified of the commies hiding behind every curtain. Then Castro happened and...well, it's history.

Suffice it to say the U.S. govt is constantly manipulating and arranging things in the Dominican Republic. Reducing spending might be a sign that they prefer Hipolito over Danilo (or whomever). Hurt the govt, gets bad press, the citizens vote for someone else. Foreign Relations 101, folks.

I'd say the massive debt the US carries has nothing to do with it. We're hemorrhaging money in the US like a drunk sailor with his throat cut and we're still trying to sing. It's amazing how ignorant American politicos can be. But if they reduced spending here it was not for the debt, it's for some other angle. That's my belief!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A left leaning leader with a friendship to Hugo Chavez versus US government thinking. Castellamonte may be onto a correct "conspiracy theory".

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Drugs undercut the strength of a society and culture, and give excuses for heavy-handed gubmint intervention in the name os "saving" that culture.

To reduce the impact of drugs on a society is diametrically opposed to those who advocate MORE gubmint control of that society.

I can see how the US gubmint might think the ST successes as a bad thing.

The entire planet is soooooooo screwed....

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Maybe US congressmen and presidents would not be elected if it were not for drug money.

pi2

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Does pi2 have an "Exclusive" expose to roll out here???
Oh,it's Sunday,he's trying out a new batch of "Banana Peel" wine!
CCCCCCheers
[video=youtube;eRHVRXju6uI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRHVRXju6uI&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Conspiracy Therories" are your life.
I lived in Somerville Ma.,near "Winterhill,(One of the "Seven Hills" of Somerville)the home of the "Winterhill Gang".
"Whitey Bulger" was not from Somerville,lhe was born and bred in South Boston,"Southy"!
You need to understand that this type of show,be it "Liberal,or Conservative,is a form of "Entertainment",not NEWS!These are "commentators",who put on a "Circus" to attract listeners.
They "Preach to their Choirs".These shows,hosts,and listeners are on the fringe,and THAT's putting it mildly!

They are the "Tele-Evangelists" for you "Conspiracy Theorists"!
Oh well,who cares.
But like you,when they actually do say/report something valid,nobody pays any attention.
They "Cry Wolf" so many times,that they become irrelevant!
CC