USA Capitol One credit card @ La Sirena

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
After visiting the DR for 30 years I have still not perfected my spending strategies. I know many people recommend not using a credit card but I generally have pretty good luck and try not to use it in sketchy places.

My Capitol One credit card charges no international fee and gives a good exchange rate, 57.40 yesterday on purchase at National. Not as good as my Charles Schwab debit card of $57.57 but still pretty good. Best part is Capitol one gives 3% cash back at restaurants and grocery stores.... except at La Sirena, when charging there, they make you choose pesos or dollars and whichever you choose they seem to take about an additional 6%. La Sirena also seems to have gone downhill in the last couple years, more so than bravo and national. So... Sayanara La Sirena.

Anyone else have knowledge of this credit card system la sirena uses and how can you know in advance if this system is being used?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
After visiting the DR for 30 years I have still not perfected my spending strategies. I know many people recommend not using a credit card but I generally have pretty good luck and try not to use it in sketchy places.

My Capitol One credit card charges no international fee and gives a good exchange rate, 57.40 yesterday on purchase at National. Not as good as my Charles Schwab debit card of $57.57 but still pretty good. Best part is Capitol one gives 3% cash back at restaurants and grocery stores.... except at La Sirena, when charging there, they make you choose pesos or dollars and whichever you choose they seem to take about an additional 6%. La Sirena also seems to have gone downhill in the last couple years, more so than bravo and national. So... Sayanara La Sirena.

Anyone else have knowledge of this credit card system la sirena uses and how can you know in advance if this system is being used?

Not just them, a lot of others do it as well. I agree with WW.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Always choose pesos or the store dictates exchange rate

Let the card company do it
Right, that's what I did, but according to my pending charge 2124.68 pesos ÷ 39.31 dollars =54.04 exchange rate. Seems same credit card but different exchange from la sirena to national, I ASSUME its a fee I may or may not see details of when charge is finalized. (57.40÷54.04) about 6% difference