USA drivers license (can Police verify)

May 5, 2007
Im glad a few of you have enough time to make jokes but I need real answers here.

Thanks guys.

I'm going to assume your US DL is OAS for some reason or another, are you going to get into troble driving in the DR, NO The only possible issue may be if you try to rent a car, some agencies subscribe to OMNI

Last edited:

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
I'm going to assume your US DL is OAS for soem reason or another, are you going to get into troble driving in the DR, NO The only possible issue may be if you try to rent a car, some agencies subscribe to OMNI

AMET won't have that info either.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I was serious - there's no way they can check any police records in the states at a roadside traffic stop.
They couldn't even access it when I was in Puerto Rico, and that's a US territory

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hey fellow DR1'ers.....

Can the average Police car in Dominican Republic verify my USA drivers license info in Dom Rep?

Meaning, if I get pulled over as a tourist, hand over my drivers Licence, will that "officer" be able to check my USA info? Are they equipped with the technology in their car to check the validity of my license?

I was pulled over not long ago in Santiago by either an AMET or Police officer, he took my credentials, went to his car and came back in a few mins and let me go.

I was just curious if they are actually checking or they don't have the technology in their police cars to actually check me out.

Curious mind.....

LOL, LOL, LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL...............Police cars with computers???????? I can't stop laughing. Do you have a record or has your US license been taken away? I'll keep your secret. The DR police don't have the capability however they can find another reason to pull you over. They don't always justify their behavior. It sounds, though, that your question has more to it than you've told us????????????????

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
No way Jose. Have a fake one made and carry that just in case it gets taken away. They'll never know the difference about that either.

I did that once and got called on it when pulled over in Sosua. I had laminated it myself though, and he spotted it. No problemo, he said carry the original from then on.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Any driver's license that isn't beyond the expiry date will suffice here for the average traffic stop. As mentioned, officials here can't easily check it's validity. Here the officials are looking for a reason to get you to pay them and your foreign license serves only to establish that you do not have a DR license therefore you have to be legally in the country to drive using that license.

Some of the the big US affiliated rental car agencies may have the ability to run your license to ensure it is at least valid.

Now if you get into a traffic accident, that will be a different story. As part of the investigation and we shouldn't have to remind you that foreigners are put on a short leash during investigations, your license info could be sent off for validation by US authorities. No license, in an accident, probably not a good idea. No license means, no insurance, rental car charges and any penalties assessed by the DR.

Driving here is riskier than at home especially for those not used to the roadway chaos. You can take a lot of taxis for the cost of a rental car.

Those who opt to commit an offense (let's just say in this case your US license is invalid for some reason) in a third world country are just asking for a world of grief.

In the event you are just asking to see if the authorities were able to run your license if you were stopped here previously, no they can't and they will not be notifying the dept. of motor vehicles in your state that you were stopped/and or ticketed.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Im glad a few of you have enough time to make jokes but I need real answers here.

Thanks guys.

I doubt very much they can get information from the USA on your US license. No one has ever posted that this was even possible.

If you entered on a tourist card, your license is valid for 30 days. Is that enforced? Hardly ever. So far.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
What is possible with the new system is that they post the ticket on the gov. web site. with the foreign license number. now I don't know if its tied to anything like the matricula of the car you were driving so when you renew would they catch it? I don't know.

but was checking the other day to see if anything was on file. and I have 2 posted under my US license number. 1 from 3 years ago and the other from a year ago.
they enter via cedula passport or other. https://multas.pgr.gob.do/consultas

Sandy19644

Sep 3, 2017
I got pulled over and they looked at my drivers licence and got frustrated that I did not understand what they were saying so they let me go.  Not sure why they even pulled me over. 

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Probably just checking you in the crime data base hoping to get lucky and catch a big international criminal.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
They can see if you have any outstanding tickets, as they would have recorded your DL# with that infraction.

Sent from my ASUS_Z016D using Tapatalk

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Typical...

[video=youtube;C2G8TMKBTSE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2G8TMKBTSE[/video]

I'm not sure if the Brazilian guy's fingers were actually shaking due to nervousness or its an effect of the camera.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
If they are tied to the vehicle then could cause problems renewing marbet or revista. If just has the foreign license then probably home free. Don't think they can check the data base or at least in my case AMET did not have radio's, so did not see the previous ticket.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
You may joke but input your cedula into the system and you get an immediate answer on your driving status and multas.

So now suggest AMET agents can't verify your status.

I don't drive nor would I want to be annoyed by some traffic cop while enjoying my day.
Was making light of the fact most of the under paid civil servants in this country
are more than happy to let you go about your merry little way for a few hundred pesos.