USA requests social media info

S

SKY

"Land of the free", what a joke..................................

C

cobraboy

I thought the same thing. A massive amount of information to browse through. Maybe look for compromising pictures or see if they have stateside friends that seem out of place?

Really, I can look at the Facebook page of a girl or guy and sum up what type of person they are pretty quickly.
Google the NSA's "PRISM" program.

An email address or social media handle is all they need to know.

Watch Oliver Stone's film "Snowden."

F

frank recktenwald

I applied for ESTA last month and they asked for my social media but it wasn't obligatory.
Was rejected though even though I had an ESTA in 2011, was also rejected for Canada.
If both countries are so strict with EC citizens it's about fukkin time Gringos and Canucks should be required to request visa for Europe!!!!

K

KyleMackey

I applied for ESTA last month and they asked for my social media but it wasn't obligatory.
Was rejected though even though I had an ESTA in 2011, was also rejected for Canada.
If both countries are so strict with EC citizens it's about fukkin time Gringos and Canucks should be required to request visa for Europe!!!!

?? Travel to USA/Canada is still visa free for you? You only need a passport correct.

N

NY-DR Commuter

?? Travel to USA/Canada is still visa free for you? You only need a passport correct.

The ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) that frank was applying for, is specifically for citizens of countries that don't require a visa to enter the United States.

Something Dominican citizens CANNOT DO. (To keep it DR related)

N

NY-DR Commuter

I was also unaware. My first thought was the sankies and sankettes. Obviously Facebook and instagram, but I wonder if it includes WhatsApp too?

Here is the current list. WhatsApp is excluded for now.

ASK FM
DOUBAN
FACEBOOK
FLICKR
GOOGLE+
INSTAGRAM
LINKEDIN
MYSPACE
PINTEREST
QZONE (QQ)
REDDIT
SINA WEIBO
TENCENT WEIBO
TUMBLER
TWTTER
TWOO
VINE
VKONTAKTE (VK)
YOUKU
YOUTUBE

C

cobraboy

ASK FM
DOUBAN
FACEBOOK
FLICKR
GOOGLE+
INSTAGRAM
LINKEDIN
MYSPACE
PINTEREST
QZONE (QQ)
REDDIT
SINA WEIBO
TENCENT WEIBO
TUMBLER
TWTTER
TWOO
VINE
VKONTAKTE (VK)
YOUKU
YOUTUBE
No Tinder? LOL...

R

Riva_31

The ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) that frank was applying for, is specifically for citizens of countries that don't require a visa to enter the United States.

Something Dominican citizens CANNOT DO. (To keep it DR related)

Last year Canada implement same system and is obligatory for countries that do not need visas to enter to Canada, if you do not have it, the airline can not take you to Canada. Maybe is a copy and paste from USA system because do not apply for USA citizents.

M

mofongoloco

Never been on social media, never had a Facebook
account. Never gonna have to deal with this type
of sh*t in my life. Why anyone would want to give
up so much of their personal information and privacy
to such a large irresponsible corporation like FB...
is beyond me.

Dude, dr1 is social media. and it's all searchable.

S

SKY

Dude, dr1 is social media. and it's all searchable.

Big difference with using a screen name on DR1 talking about topics and posting your picture, what you do, where you live, etc, etc, etc, on Facebook or the other gossip sites..................

U

Uzin

ESTA does not ask for a lot of info, it is all about timing, they want to have time to run all their algorithms on your data in their databases - and also charge you some money, after all those computers and databases in the cloud cost money. I am surprised you get refused, maybe you entered some inconsistent data... !

My only hope is that if such a request for unlocking stuff ever comes up on entry, I could just refuse and they also just refuse my entry, and then I just say, thanks a lot, see ya... ! lol

But if you are not a visitor like me and going home or must enter, then I really feel for you.... Welcome to USA.

D

Dr_Taylor

ASK FM
DOUBAN
FACEBOOK
FLICKR
GOOGLE+
INSTAGRAM
LINKEDIN
MYSPACE
PINTEREST
QZONE (QQ)
REDDIT
SINA WEIBO
TENCENT WEIBO
TUMBLER
TWTTER
TWOO
VINE
VKONTAKTE (VK)
YOUKU
YOUTUBE

I have to laugh. I do not know what more than half of these are.