Usa

RobGar

Oct 19, 2011
Yeah. Ever felt like your life is like on rails? For me, at one point I noticed everything in my life was going to be too generic. After school, get a job, buy a house, buy nice car, have children, get nicer job, get nicer house, get nicer car, have grandchildren, die. It seemed to me that the kind of life society was advising me to have was just too staged, only necessary to please a few, and I was not going to be happy in the long run. So I opted out. Can't be thankful enough I did. If anything, I think people need to experience life in tough places (not as a tourist, but as a full-time dweller) to understand what is important and what is not.

Same here Castle. Brings to mind one of my favorites songs "Moving out" (Billy Joel).

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.........

Snow cone season

Maryland - 2010 Blizzard

o3586.jpg

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Yes I was in santo domingos Colonial zone recently what a dismall failure to properly market and maintain a Lovely area !!!!!!!! The architecture is marvillosa ,however Just like SOSUA , was for the last 25 years!!! Complete lack of a plan that became about .... Maybe SOSUA is starting ....But the colonial zone has so much potential however I could dress that area up and promote it for 250000. Us , while a Fernandez govt and 8 years has done so little , Y a subway when you can't even manage your cream areas , Pantina area good job , BUT THE COLONIAL ZONE selling on the street hundreds of paintingsThat are rain covers . such an abomination the lack of doing basic improvements has completely damaged and created a slightly above DEAD ZONE . I AM mortified .I want to like this area so much for its wonderful buildings and character , and POTENTIAL but there should be guns coming out from the people that investments in this area !!!!! SORRY A LITTLE OFF TOPIC TO OP MAYBE , MAYBE NOT

mainegal

May 22, 2012
Right now is a perfect time to visit Maine, the fall season is incredibly beautiful. You will however want to bring some warmer clothes as the temps at night are getting down into the upper 30's and low 40's.
The lobsters are super cheap right now too so plan on eating some, Maine has the very best lobster you will find. What part of Maine will you be visiting?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I had not been anywhere in the USA than Miami, but this week I'm visiting Maine. I just have one question for the Americans living in DR: WHY did you move to DR??!!

We moved to the DR because of familial reasons but it ended up being financially the best thing we could have done given the construction implosion in the States that continues to this day. Also, interestingly enough I have acquired more acquaintances and friends in 6 years than I had in the States in a comparable time period which is no doubt due to Dominicans socialibility and their culturally ingrained interest in things foreign. I of course have helped myself get to this point by studying Spanish and learning what is generally important and respected but anybody can do that if they put the time in.

May 29, 2006
Maine should be beautiful as long as you get there before October. In winter, it's a bit more like this:

Fargo: Hard Time for Jerry - YouTube

I lived in VT for ten years. New England has winter, mud season, black fly season, syrup season, summer(10 weeks) then fall foliage and winter again.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Right now is a perfect time to visit Maine, the fall season is incredibly beautiful. You will however want to bring some warmer clothes as the temps at night are getting down into the upper 30's and low 40's.
The lobsters are super cheap right now too so plan on eating some, Maine has the very best lobster you will find. What part of Maine will you be visiting?
I visited the Bethel / Rumford area (visiting a paper mill among others. Sitting in the bus now arriving to Boston, will go to Minneapolis now.

Can imagine that winters are not that nice up here. Leaves changed color in the few days I was here, definitely beautiful.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My first wife was from California.... never had seen snow except on a mountain.

I moved her to the Great North....

We all enjoy the changing colours in the fall.....
She found it VERY depressing, to her everything was going to die..... she cried almost very day.
I had to fly her back to Cali regularly during winters.

Snow -- What do we do about this? -- she asks me

Here I'll show you -- grab that shovel -- she never quite got it.

California Dreamin'.......... she went home - for good

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
The reason why I decided to live in the DR is because I got tired of having a mortgage
and paying property taxes.

Zulu

May 27, 2012
I wouldn't say it is a Tax Heaven but all i can say is Republica Dominicana keeps me alive instead of the Police state i left behind where last call for Alcohol is 1:30a.m. Freedom, less restriction, less surveillance so i moved to the "South Beach" of the Caribbean a place you can throw a party all night long without your neighbors calling the cops on you, a place where you can talk to someone without worrying if they are going to sue you it's like living in a dictator state. On the other hand you have this tropical Island so relaxed, a place built on family values and principles. A colorful and beautiful place, and when things don't go as you plan you can always hear someone say "tranquillo, calmate muchacho," haha they remind me of the guy who sang Don't worry, be happy even if your rent is late don't worry, be happy.
LoL
I also like how they leave everything up to God, "que Dios quiere hasta luego." The music is fantastic, the food ehh not so much but the fresh produce such as fruits and vegetables i can tell you this i don't miss Whole Foods or the ridiculous prices @ Farmers Market in Culver City, Ca.

Last edited:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My OP was exactly what Criss Colon said, a rethorical question. I sure can think of reasons why you would move from Maine, especially considering the cold winters, but I was amazed by the beauty of the environment, the open space, people seem to live right in the woods, do all kinds of outdoor sports and activities. There's wildlife, but also the comfort of a developed nation. I would dare to say my home country is more developed (overall) than the USA, but everything is so designed, so artificial, the government takes care of each and every step you make, including how full you can stuff your garbage container and at what time you can place it at which spot on the sidewalk. That's one of the reasons why we ultimately did come back to DR.

What I grasp from a few days Maine though is an organized, comfortable place, where you still can decide most of the things you do yourself.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I wouldn't say it is a Tax Heaven but all i can say is Republica Dominicana keeps me alive instead of the Police state i left behind where last call for Alcohol is 1:30a.m. Freedom, less restriction, less surveillance so i moved to the "South Beach" of the Caribbean a place you can throw a party all night long without your neighbors calling the cops on you, a place where you can talk to someone without worrying if they are going to sue you it's like living in a dictator state. On the other hand you have this tropical Island so relaxed, a place built on family values and principles. A colorful and beautiful place, and when things don't go as you plan you can always hear someone say "tranquillo, calmate muchacho," haha they remind me of the guy who sang Don't worry, be happy even if your rent is late don't worry, be happy.
LoL
I also like how they leave everything up to God, "que Dios quiere hasta luego." The music is fantastic, the food ehh not so much but the fresh produce such as fruits and vegetables i can tell you this i don't miss Whole Foods or the ridiculous prices @ Farmers Market in Culver City, Ca.

You think the state of California is a police state?

1.Can a Dominican leave that island and visit other countries with just their passport? Even for the saw called upper upper Dominicans still need a Visa along with their passport to enter majority of the countries on this planet.
a. An American bagging food at a supermarket can enter majority of the countries with a passport alone. Freedom

2. East L.A., Little Havana, Devon Ave in Chicago, Little Haiti, Washington Heights, etc., Mexicans, Indian & Pakistani Cubans,Haitians, Dominicans etc all can have a slice of "apple pie" with their own countries national dish in the USA.
Even thought they were not born in the USA they all still have the right to the " American Dream" just like little Johnny in Des Moines Iowa.
a. Does Haitian people have the right to the "Dominican Dream" even if they have the proper papers? Freedom

3. If Sammy Sosa was hitting home runs for Licey instead of the Chicago Cubs, he would have about 60,000RD in his pocket right now. Freedom.

I know what you trying to say, but how you present it is not right. Just because a peson's body may seem free, their mind may be in CAPTIVITY. Drinking beer at 2:30 A.M. is not a form of freedom in my book.

Let me give you another small example. Everytime a person on this board describes a weathy person in DR, a jeepita always follows behind. My mother has a friend that has money to BURN and she drives a Toyota Prius. People in the US have their own mind, not saying Dominicans do not but many come off like cyborgs on many issues.