use of preterit and imperfect vis a vis 3 verbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
The rules for determining when to use the preterit (simple past) and the imperfect (continuous past) are fairly clear, though it takes time to master them:

The imperfect describes a past action without clear temporal boundaries, an unfinished or ongoing action: estaba leyendo el libro cuando mi hermano entr? la sala.

The imperfect also describes customary or habitual actions: en mi juventud me levantaba de madrugada para ir a la escuela. "in my youth I used to - -"

The imperfect is also used in certain specific cases:
Viv?amos en Italia hac?a dos a?os (where English would use the pluperfect)

The simple past is used to describe definite, circumscribed actions in the past:
me despert? y salt? de la cama. Two semelfactive actions.

But I get confused when it comes to using three verbs. First of all, saber. I am probably just dense, because I suspect that the same rules apply, but I tend to hear "sabia" more often than "supe" or "supo" and when one replies to a question with the simple phrase, "I didnt know," one always says "yo no sabia." Is there some rule or logic here I am missing? Or is it just the nature of knowing that it is not limited by time unless we speak of very specific instances?

Second verb: haber. I simply cannot figure out whether to use "hubo" or "habia" when saying things like "there were three guys in the park." Somehow the logic is not sinking in. For example, in the foregoing sentence it is not really clear if this is a semelfactive action or a continuous action. Is it up to the speaker to decide which?

Third and final verb: estar. But not on its own; it gives me trouble when it is used in conjunction with a participle . normally when one says something like "I was thinking about going to the campo" one would say in Spanish "estaba pensando en ir al campo." But let us take another example from a wonderful song sung by Hector Lavoe, So?ando Despierto: "estuve so?ando que ya tu habias vuelto, que me perdonabas, ?que dulce el momento! Pero al despertarme, vi que no era cierto, estaba so?ando, so?ando despierto." I understand the reason for the imperfect in the second line, but the first line throws me. The main clause uses preterit and the relative clause uses the imperfect (which throws me too) -- but regardless of the relative clause I still dont see why the main clause uses the preterit: the act of daydreaming is not a closed, definitive action. Explanations anyone?

Btw, I am not looking for free grammar lessons, but i figure that this is exactly the kind of thing that gives students of Spanish significant trouble, so it might be useful to have a discussion of it here.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks for starting this thread maco. I'm sure it will help many people.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
I think, and I only think, that the estuve in this case refers to an action which was taking place for a while, but was limited in its duration. It was only for a while. I am sure Lesley will have a good explanation for it, Macocael. I think you cite several good examples I had never given any thought to, but you are right: there has to be a reason why in certain situations people use estuve instead of estaba, for example.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
something_of_the_night said:
Pues yo si sabo. Just kidding.

Songwriters break the rules; it's a matter of semantics.
It is not a matter of semantics, which is the study of meaning; it is a matter of what we call poetic license. But that is not entirely the case here with Hector.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Excellent opening post-

Macocael, these are very valid questions and traditionally pose difficulty so don't feel like an outcast if you are challenged to understand how to use these tenses correctly. In fact, questioning the usage shows that you are paying attention to the differences in meaning and the appropriate context which in turn will make your Spanish better IMO.

In brief there are rules governing the usage of these three verbs which clearly differentiate/ distinguish the meaning of one tense over the other. How they are used in everyday speech is a whole different story. I will add that if you speak or have knowledge of another Latin based language, for example French, the usage of these two tenses is the same and identical for 'saber' (I am referring to the meanings as well as one tense over the other).

1) Saber-"sab?a" vs. "supe"

-the tense usage is not interchangeable with saber.

Sab?a (the imperfect tense) is the way to express I knew... or I did (not) know

Supe- (the preterit tense) changes the meaning completely. It means "I found out..." (some news, a piece of information etc).

2) Hubo/Hab?a- Your example: "there were three guys in the park."

- The usage of one over the other does not change the meaning. Both convey the meaning "there were" but the nuances are different due the essential differences in meaning of the preterit vs. the imperfect tense. It also depends on what the speaker is trying to convey which will determine his/her choice of one over the other and sometimes there is no choice due to key 'past tense markers'.

-Hubo tres hombres en el parque/ Hab?a tres hombres en el parque. - There is no difference in meaning but the time frame vs. a description will differentiate the usage of one over the other.

Hubo= refers to the past "en alg?n momento dado". *(see explanation)

Hab?a= refers to the past but it is a description (or repetition) (in the past).

* what I mean by 'alg?n momento dado' is I am referring to a specific time frame in the past, that will not be repeated. Key words like 'ayer', 'la semana pasada', 'el a?o pasado' etc. These are key time frame markers that require the preterit tense (finality) only and not the imperfect. However, what you hear in the day to day speech may differ. People make mistakes. The ability to make the distinction depends on many of factors but you will hear erroneous usage.

Ayer hubo dos hombres en el parque. (the preterit is required because of 'ayer').

Hab?a dos hombres en el parque (this is just a simple description of something in the past)

3) Estar- "estuve so?ando" que ya tu hab?as vuelto"...

a)-The progressive forms tend to pose confusion and as a result are often used incorrectly. In Spanish the progressive forms are much more specific than in English and those learning Spanish use these forms more often and usually out of context but that's a different grammar issue.

b)- The progressive tense should only be used to give an 'active' description, meaning the action is actually taking place at a given moment (or that is actually in progress), this is where those who are learning Spanish usually err. Compare Juan estudia (habitual action) vs. Juan est? estudiando (‘right now’). Do you understand the difference?

c)-the progressive forms have an equivalent non progressive form:

estuve so?ando= is the progressive equivalent of 'so??'
estaba so?ando= is progressive equivalent of 'so?aba'.

-The preterit and imperfect progressive forms have the same rules of usage as the preterit and imperfect non progressive forms.

- Of course Lavoe's choice of the preterit is unknown but the usage is correct (gramaticalmente hablando) because if you break it down grammatically what he's saying is 'estuve so?ando' ('en alg?n momento dado') it could be 'ayer', 'la semana pasada' etc. Lavoe just did not reference the time frame. In the second phrase 'estaba so?ando' is just a description. No one knows 'when', 'how often' thus the usage of the imperfect tense.

-Also you are naming the tenses incorrectly. For example in Lavoe's song 'ya hab?as vuelto' that's not the imperfect tense that's the pluscuamperfecto or in English "the pluperfect tense". (This tense is also referred to as the 'past perfect' in some grammar books but I prefer to use the 'pluperfect' tense which comes from Latin).

-The usage is correct in the song because it coincides with the sequence of tenses in Spanish i.e. moving from a past tense form to another form of the past tense. Song writers do break the rules or sometimes use combinations that may seem rare but if you go back to the rules of grammar the answer is always there.

For example the rule for the sequence of tenses in the past (main clause to subordinate clause) is:

Pret?rito (Preterit)
Imperfecto (Imperfect)
Condicional (Conditional) = can be used with the Imperfect tense or the Pluperfect tense
Pluscuamperfecto (Pluperfect)
Condicional Perfecto (Conditional Perfect)

-There are few exceptions but this rule is virtually flawless. As you can see in Lavoe's song he went from the preterit progressive (estuve so?ando) to the pluperfect tense (ya hab?as vuelto). The rules were followed to perfection.

-My suggestion is to read more to get comfortable with 'el imperfecto' and increase the level of complexity of what you read bit by bit. It's important to understand these differences.

I hope this helps.

-LDG.

PD- if there are any typos I will fix them later.

Last edited:

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Fantastic post. I find that as an oral learner (I learned via immersion) I often use the correct tenses, and now I can explain exactly why thanks to this post. As a Spanish teacher at the beginning levels we only start to touch on these grammar points. As always, Lesley, you have helped me as a teacher and as a student of Spanish.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
"Helps"?! You bet. That was a serious grammar lesson! I feel a bit guilty though because I dont want you to spend so much time teaching all of us, when you are already doing so much.

The distinction between "sabia" and "supe" is entirely clear to me now, and I have a feeling that I had come across this explanation in my grammar somewhere, but couldnt for the life of me find it when I posted this thread.

The distinction between "habia" and "hubo" now is also clear. Btw, the use of the word "description" makes the distinction very clear. Why this is so will become apparent when i respond vis a vis the third verb, estar.

So, estar: Point "b" I understand well enough, and my grammar book covers that well. what threw me in Lavoe's lyric was that he initially refers to the act of daydreaming using the preterit but then later on switches to the imperfect or past progressive. But this is indeed a "description" and that makes the switch clear to me now. Moreover, it so happens that in the second verse of the song, which I just checked, he sings,

Ay anoche so?e que mi suegra se hab?a muerto.
Y me puse a llorar al despertar y vi que no era cierto.

so in fact while the first instance of daydreaming is not introduced with a modifier that defines the time frame (anoche), it is implicit as it is obviously a parallel example. It is crystal clear to me now.

Btw, when I said that the relative clause uses the imperfect I was referring to the second relative clause, "que me perdonabas" not to the first, "que ya tu habias vuelto" and in my haste I neglected to clarify that.

I suspected as well that proper sequence of tenses played a role here,but after reading the potted description in my handy pocket grammar (which usually gives pretty comprehensive explanations), I was still at a loss. So now I have the rule plainly spelled out.

Thanks a bunch Lesley D, and I hope that other DR1 members can profit from this, as I suspect that this is one of things that give them constant trouble.

If I think of any other sticky grammatical issues I will post them.

Last edited:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
something_of_the_night said:
Pues yo si sabo. Just kidding.

Songwriters break the rules; it's a matter of semantics.
:tired: :bored: past, present, imperfect, perfect, aya yay!!!!!
just curious, Macocael where do u find the time???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Macocael & Mainegirl-

As long as it helps your understanding that's fine. No extra effort or research on my part. I just need the time. I rather be thorough once and not have to have subsequent posts.

-LDG.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
M.A.R. said:
:tired: :bored: past, present, imperfect, perfect, aya yay!!!!!
just curious, Macocael where do u find the time???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I dont sleep. :cross-eye I found it to be a waste of time. Ha! Actually, the light here is so strong in the a.m. I cannot sleep past 7am (though in the campo I sometimes sleep till 9 --dont know why, but sleep in the campo is more peaceful, and my neighbors there are not exactly quiet!).

But the knowledge of languages is all from a past life. As long as my memory holds, I will be able to post like this. I hope to improve my Spanish before senility sets in.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Lesley, you finally came to the rescue. I knew I did the right thing by invoking your name!

Muchas gracias.

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
Very excelent post. As a student of spanish, i have had some little confusion with Hubo and Hacia also. I once told my spanish teacher that "el tiempo hubo frio ayer" meaning " the weather was cold yesterday" but she told me that it should be "el tiempo hacia frio ayer". My teacher is actually from Spain and I know that there are some few differences between the spanish spoken in spain and that spoken in the americas including the DR so perhaps "hubo frio ayer" could be the same as "hacia frio ayer" in the americas.

Se?or Ledley D, Do you have any takers on this?

Gracias por toda tu ayuda.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Sholly24-

Your teacher is right 'hac?a fr?o' (ayer) is correct. It does not matter whether it's Spain or Latin America.

Hubo fr?o does not exist because you are mixing two verbs. Hubo comes from 'Haber' and hac?a comes from 'Hacer'. In Spanish one says 'hace fr?o' or 'hac?a fr?o'.

Haber is used for weather expressions but not to express 'hot' (calor) or cold (fr?o).

*before someone asks even with ayer it's fine. There are exceptions to every rule as I mentioned in my first post. As well in Spanish regardless some verbs are used more often with the 'imperfecto' than with the 'pret?rito' to express certain concepts.

PD. soy mujer.

-LDG.

Last edited:

Sholly24

Mar 5, 2006
Lesley,
I made a mistake in my question. Yes it was the verb hacer and it had to do with the use of Hizo and Hacia. I had told my teacher that "Hizo frio ayer" and she said it should be "Hacia frio ayer". I know that the imperfect tense is used when an event is happening when something else happened. For example "Hacia frio a la hora que mi amigo lleg?" which means "it was cold at the time my friend arrived" but is it possible to use Hizo if I wanted to emphasize specifically about the weather yesterday and nothing else. That it was cold yesterday but today, it is no longer cold.

Gracias

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Sholly24-

Your question makes more sense now that you clarified what you meant. Not 'hubo' but hizo vs. hac?a and also your reference to the fact that your teacher is from Spain.

Instead of me commenting I would like you to ask your teacher to explain why. If your teacher said it s/b 'hac?a fr?o ayer' and you have a query about 'hizo fr?o ayer' I think your teacher should explain why. I always do.

I will say this. Two factors come into play:

1) regionalisms and regional usage

2) grammar- verb tense usage el pret?rito vs. el imperfecto.

You will hear both but I would like to hear his/her explanation because I certainly have mine.

These kind of questions always remind me not to take language for granted. Spanish is spoken in over twenty countries but only 10% approx. of world's total Spanish speaking population lives in Spain. Therefore diverisity is inevitable. Some aspects are grammatically logical and some are not. As well, Latin America is notorious for favoring the usage of the preterite tense for past tense usage whereas Spain uses the compound tenses more. For example the present perfect tense 'he tratado' instead of 'trat?'. Ask your teacher how s/he would say 'have you eaten' vs. anyone from Latin America.

Enjoy what you are learning so far but beware of the vast differences you will hear. This is just the beginning of the ride for you. Hold on to your hat! Wait until you start to travel, study or live in any Latin American country you will then know what I mean.

Please do come back with your feedback.

-LDG.

Last edited:

Sholly24

Mar 5, 2006
Lesley,
Thanks for the explanation. I guess that I might not have been wrong as far as spanish in the americas is concerned which is very okay with me. My next class is on saturday so I will definitely find out from her, the reason for her choice and will get back.

Thanks
Sholly

monsoon68

Dec 19, 2005
In case it helps..as per my R.A.E. grammar:

"los morfemas aspectuales terminativo y no terminativo pueden incluir otros matices de lo que se quiere expresar.
Cuando partimos de una situacion en perspectiva de presente, como en Hoy hay concierto, lo que se comunica es la simple existencia en el presente de lo denotado. Si, en cambio colocamos los hechos en la perspectiva del preterito, pueden quedar diferenciados dos contenidos: refiriendose a la mera existencia en el preterito de lo designado se dira Ayer habia concierto; pero afirmando la consecucion o el cumplimiento de los hechos aludidos, se dira Ayer hubo concierto."

I think you can apply this explanation to "Ayer hacia frio" vs "Ayer hizo frio".

:surprised :surprised

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Sholly24-

There are regional differences in usage as I stated in my previous post but in this case I am curious to find out your teacher's explanation of the usage (from a grammatical standpoint) because her statement was it s/b 'hac?a fr?o ayer' which I find interesting without an explanation.

Your teacher is not wrong BTW but if I were your teacher I would have explained it to you right away because there is a part II explanation for the usage of 'ayer' as a past tense marker. My first post exemplifies one grammatical usage and part II is a specific usage which I am hoping your teacher would allude to. Report back please.

Monsoon68- lo que dice la Real Academia es perfecto. Estoy totalmente de acuerdo. Gracias.

-LDG.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.