Used Car Buying Guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
And keep in mind, without the original matricula in your name, there is NOTHING that would prevent the actual owner of record from using that title as collateral and not paying the note. Then YOU are screwed.

There is a massive amount of BAD advice in this thread.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
NO YOU CANNOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is incredibly BAD advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't even own a car. You've never bought one in the DR as far as I know.

You are offering HORRIBLE advice that could lose people THOUSANDS of $$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when you stop talking with testosterone, but with facts, then you will probably make sense, one day. i have owned more than one car in this country. i bought one specific car, drove it, renewed the registration, and sold it, without the title ever being in my name. that is not noise. that is factual record.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Mike, I have bought and sold numerous cars and motorcycles in the last 6 years. In EACH case NO LEGAL TRANSFER COULD BE MADE WITHOUT THE ORIGINAL MATRICULA AND STATED OWNER SIGN-OFF.

which means what? you can get an original matricula, but you cannot transfer it into your name until the period passes. you can still renew the registration as long as you have the documents i specified.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
which means what? you can get an original matricula, but you cannot transfer it into your name until the period passes. you can still renew the registration as long as you have the documents i specified.
Which meanss, no, you cannot sell the car without the recorded matricula in your name.

You offer vry bad advice.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
when you stop talking with testosterone, but with facts, then you will probably make sense, one day. i have owned more than one car in this country. i bought one specific car, drove it, renewed the registration, and sold it, without the title ever being in my name. that is not noise. that is factual record.
Baloney.

I think you're lying.

Legally and by LAW it cannot be done.

That's not to sat that between consenting parties they may choose to go around the law-no doubt in the DR it happens all the time-but as a "professional" offering paid advice, what you suggest is nothing more than malpractice, period.

BY LAW, YOU CANNOT TRANSFER TITLE WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF THE TITLED OWNER. To do otherwise is fraud.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
a semi-shade tree mechanic? really?

then again, the readership considers the source. they realize what a low creature you are, trying to derail my attempts to provide a worthwhile service by belittling my qualification to provide such. stooping low is your stock in trade.

the fact is that i have done six of these for DR1 members, and the responses are all positive. nobody has ended up with a lemon , at least not yet.
I am ONLY criticizing your advice about transfer of title, gorgon, period. You are very, very incorrect in that area.

I am sure, as a career auto insurance adjuster, you know what to look for in a bad car. Full confidence there.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Baloney.

I think you're lying.

That's not to sat that between consenting parties they may choose to go around the law-no doubt in the DR it happens all the time-but as a "professional" offering paid advice, what you suggest is nothing more than malpractice, period.

BY LAW, YOU CANNOT TRANSFER TITLE WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF THE TITLED OWNER. To do otherwise is fraud.

i really don't care what you think. how's that? i said i did. and it does not matter what you think. convincing you about anything is not something i consider to be a life's priority.

malpractice? cars are registered and updated every day, legally, without having the title transferred to the buyer's name.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Baloney.

I think you're lying.

It would be similar to going to an abortion clinic and having the janitor perform the procedure. no Credentials, no degree, and no car... and worst of all "skirting the law", is this what people want, to be represented in this fashion? In my opinion stay away from this type of potential shady operation...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I am ONLY criticizing your advice about transfer of title, gorgon, period. You are very, very incorrect in that area.

I am sure, as a career auto insurance adjuster, you know what to look for in a bad car. Full confidence there.

then why the remark about 'semi shade tree mechanic"?

i know; to cast doubt in the minds of prospective clients as to whether or not they can trust me to get the job done. the guys who have gotten my assistance have been very happy.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
malpractice? cars are registered and updated every day, legally, without having the title transferred to the buyer's name.
If you are PAID for advice and offer advice which could, indeed, is illegal and can cost your clients their ENTIRE investment, yes, malpractice.

"Registering" a car (marbete) and "titling" a car (matricula) are completely different legal animals.

If you suggest to a client that they can buy & sell a car without the title ever being in their name, you are indeed guilty of "malpractice."

Why not just offer legitimate, legally-sound and law-based advice? Heck, why not educate your clients in the law? Why would that present problems?

Certainly you can run your legally unregistered, uninsured and untaxed business anyway you want. And no doubt some, who don't understand or care about prevailing law or legal legitimacy, will ask for assistance. Great! Certainly under-the-radar businesses can operate less expensively and that is attractive to many either by intent or ignorance.

I'm just surprised your first question isn't "is there a clean, legitimate title" like when you buy a car in the states or Europe. It all starts from there.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I had a fleet of motorbikes for rent to motoconchos. I bought them but had sombody elses name on the title ( had an opportunity for cheap bikes but was out of country ).
Fastfoward a couple of months, I sold the bikes myself to various people. Some didnt change the title, some did, without the assistance of the person who's name was on the title.
How ? No idea.
But seems it is possible........

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
then why the remark about 'semi shade tree mechanic"?
1) You are not a professional mechanic. You're a guy with some good mechanical knowledge as many are. That makes you and me a "semi-mechanic"

2) You have no legitimate mechanic shop. That puts you and me under the category as "shadetree."

Nothing wrong with it. Just is what it is.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I had a fleet of motorbikes for rent to motoconchos. I bought them but had sombody elses name on the title ( had an opportunity for cheap bikes but was out of country ).
Fastfoward a couple of months, I sold the bikes myself to various people. Some didnt change the title, some did, without the assistance of the person who's name was on the title.
How ? No idea.
But seems it is possible........
Possible? Of course, especially in an already shady world (motoconchos.) I'm sure the concho world is similar.

Legal? No.

Lot of forgery and other shenanigans going on in the DR, and not just with vehicles. Real estate has similar legal issues.

If you look closely, you'll find a move by the gubmint to tighten the various vehicle laws. The recent re-licensing of motorcycles through DGII is just one example.

I challenge ANYONE to take an original or copy of a matricula not in their name with no other supporting notorized documents from the person named on the matricula authorizing transfer and get a new matricula in their name.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
"Registering" a car (marbete) and "titling" a car (matricula) are completely different legal animals.

If you suggest to a client that they can buy & sell a car without the title ever being in their name, you are indeed guilty of "malpractice."

They use to call that "curb siding" where I come from, and its 100% illegal, and carries a JAIL SENTENCE now in Many North American cities... Promoting curb siding is, immoral, self serving, and above all shows a complete lack of respect for the potential customer... Bottom line is, do your "due diligence" before hiring someone to perform any type of service..

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

They use to call that "curb siding" where I come from, and its 100% illegal, and carries a JAIL SENTENCE now in Many North American cities... Promoting curb siding is, immoral, self serving, and above all shows a complete lack of respect for the potential customer... Bottom line is, do your "due diligence" before hiring someone from any message board...
In defense of Mikey, I have no doubt he can keep people off the rocks about buying a lemon.

I just hope he ceases with offering poor and illegal advice, and chooses to incorporate, get insurance/bonding, collects and pays ITBIS like all other legitimate businesses should.

He has a real shot of doing things right the first time, and I hope he chooses that route because he is indeed tapping a market need.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
by the way, cobraboy, why are we into all this? i offer one service, and one service only. i make sure you get a good car. you are the one who has ideas on what i should offer. well, i do not offer advice on titles. if people want that , they can opt for another guy. next thing we will hear is that the guy who sells sunglasses should be performing eye operations also.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
In defense of Mikey, I have no doubt he can keep people off the rocks about buying a lemon.

I just hope he ceases with offering poor and illegal advice, and chooses to incorporate, get insurance/bonding, collects and pays ITBIS like all other legitimate businesses should.

He has a real shot of doing things right the first time, and I hope he chooses that route because he is indeed tapping a market need.

you hope he ceases offering illegal advice? are you with us here? did i not say that i do not give legal advice, and YOU said i should?

i refuse to give advice about these matters. if your tranny craps out on the way home, that one is on me. if you have legal problems, i am not the guy.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
by the way, your attempts to sabotage my efforts do not seem to be bearing fruit. i got one guy yesterday, and i just got off the phone with another. sometimes evil does not win.

bilko

Aug 5, 2011
by the way, your attempts to sabotage my efforts do not seem to be bearing fruit. i got one guy yesterday, and i just got off the phone with another. sometimes evil does not win.

Keep up the good work we need a guy like you here, thanks!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Sabotage? Evil?

Since when is "truth" either?

Status
Not open for further replies.