Using A Shipper as Your Permanent Address in The USA

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I don't own or rent a home in the USA. Right now, I'm using my sister's address for a mailing address. Would there be a problem if I just changed my permanent address to the BM Cargo address? I'm not sure if it's legal.

Thanks

Pedro (my new name)

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I don't know whether it's legal or not, but I think most credit card companies won't accept it as a billing address.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
When you say your "permanent address" do you mean where you "reside" ie; I reside in the state of Georgia.( primarily for income tax reasons and not NYC )Or, do you mean your "mailing address". I'm not clear on what you are trying to do. You might not want to share that info here but I think that is going to make a difference in the responses. Or, should make a difference.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I have had issues using my Business Mail address also.

For example, an order at Newegg was cancelled because of my BM Cargo address.

Don't remember where, but a customer service rep told me that the address was flagged because of possible illegal activity - think they used the term "hawk address."

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Small correction to above:

It is called a Hawk Alert and indicates an address that requires further investigation or has been known to be misused in the past.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
When you say your "permanent address" do you mean where you "reside" ie; I reside in the state of Georgia.( primarily for income tax reasons and not NYC )Or, do you mean your "mailing address". I'm not clear on what you are trying to do. You might not want to share that info here but I think that is going to make a difference in the responses. Or, should make a difference.

Since BM Cargo is in Florida with no state income tax I was thinking about making it my legal residence. Again I don’t have a home in the USA.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Since BM Cargo is in Florida with no state income tax I was thinking about making it my legal residence. Again I don’t have a home in the USA.
You need a lot more than a billing address to establish residency. I did the residency thing from NY to Ga. This is not the forum to discuss but I can advise in private if you want, Or, simple search will tell you what you need to do to take advantage of the tax situation. Sorry to say its not going to work for you if you continue to live here in the DR.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
It's called Fraud. It's the kind of thing where if nothing happens you are okay. If something does happen it can become a sticky wicket indeed.

Using a fraudulent address for banks, credit cards, loans, car purchases, voting, income taxes, whatever is not something I recommend.

Using anothers business address as a personal permanent address is fraud.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I don't own or rent a home in the USA. Right now, I'm using my sister's address for a mailing address. Would there be a problem if I just changed my permanent address to the BM Cargo address? I'm not sure if it's legal.

Thanks

Pedro (my new name)

You can add the BM address as a mailing address on your accounts, to say this is where mail or any deliveries should be taken to. Keep your sister address as your main address. Tax is charged based on delivery address for goods.
As for using the Florida based address for tax purposes? Don’t!
It will bring you more problems later than it’s worth.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
My "official" address printed on my FL Driver's License shows me
as living in Atlantic Beach, FL
Required the following;
2 pieces of mail addressed to me at the address I provided to the
DMV.
I used a piece junk mail from my bank and the second was a piece
of junk mail/ credit card offer. The DMV (at the time) was not too
concerned about where the mail came from. The last time I had a
USA rental contract or utility in my name was in New Orleans, LA back
in the beginning of 2006.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I maintain an address in the US for voting, drivers license, and billing for credit cards. My bank is in US. I use EPS with Angie Wolff in Sosua for shipping---Amazon purchases go to the Miami courier address. I don't have a Dominican bank account. I had one, a long time ago, and it was a complete waste of time. When I pay my US taxes, I file as an expat, with my Dominican street address (which is another whole story), but trust me: the IRS is very happy to receive my payments from my US bank. This works for me. You all can work it out how you see fit. Just weighing in.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I am confused with some of the posts above that use the words "official address". Is that an address you want to be" associated" with for mail? Or an address for receiving "official" notices such as taxes, drivers license renewals, things that are are "official"? I am not being snarky as this is a very important question having to do with "where do you "domicile"? This can severely impact your piggy bank and your time cleaning up the mess you left behind at some later point. Just saying. Carry on.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
It's called Fraud. It's the kind of thing where if nothing happens you are okay. If something does happen it can become a sticky wicket indeed.

Using a fraudulent address for banks, credit cards, loans, car purchases, voting, income taxes, whatever is not something I recommend.

Using anothers business address as a personal permanent address is fraud.
Gus, technically you are right but OP is attempting to get a tax advantage that he has read or heard about.He is exploring the possibilities.
(Legal ones). People that commit fraud have done a lot more research than a simple question here on DR1. At least I hope so.LOL.
The subject here at hand is complex and must be done legally and with the help of qualified people that know how much trouble you can get into if not done correctly. Remember, Uncle always wants to stay in the game, that is Uncle State and Uncle Fed.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Not sure what the OP is trying to do, but as far as shipping things here, the only taxes he might avoid are state sales taxes. If the vendor is located in Florida, he will still have to pay sales taxes. If he's trying to avoid state income taxes(Florida has none), that's a different story and I wouldn't recommend it.

csteinwand

May 11, 2020
Puerto Plata
I use physicaladdress.com in orlando florida as my mailing address.. not sure about legality, but we'll see if I can get the documents in order to get a drivers license using that address.

bad experience with BMCargo, would not trust them with any mail or packages.. will never receive them.

I will probably end up renting a room somewhere in florida to make it official and get out of paying mn state taxes