Using Insulation to keep Building /House Cool and Roof Cool In Dominican Republic: Why Not?

pinonuevo

Dec 7, 2020
Roman
I notice that in Dominican Republic most construction projects Residential or Commercial Do not use Insulation? Now with climate change i notice that house become an oven inside.
Is there a reason for that ? Are things changing in the new construction. I have seen that heat pump AC are more prevalent now than before.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I've wondered the same thing. They don't use 2"X4" and drywall on the inside walls for one thing where you could add insulation. Not sure why that is either(?). It sure is a lot easier to hang pictures, TV's, and shelves on drywall than bare concrete.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have insulation curtains on all of my windows. You'd be surprised at the difference it makes.

I also had "Toldos' installed outside which I'm sure will be a big help as well.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I think there are several reasons why most houses in the DR do not have insulated roofs and walls. One is expense, and the other is ignorance of the concept. Also, Dominicans are accustomed to the heat. Surely you have noticed Dominicans wearing Jackets and hoodies when is 90 plus degrees F. Hell most Dominicans aren't sweating unless they are doing vigorous exercise or work. My house has a cement roof with clay Spanish tiles on top of the cement and I believe it helps keep the temperature down. If I build again, I will insulate both walls and roof. I have the same type of curtains as JD, and thankfully I also get afternoon breeze that flows through my house.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I've wondered the same thing. They don't use 2"X4" and drywall on the inside walls for one thing where you could add insulation. Not sure why that is either(?). It sure is a lot easier to hang pictures, TV's, and shelves on drywall than bare concrete.
It would add a lot to the cost of construction. Probably 25% more. Lumber and drywall are super expensive here. The prices never went down after covid like they did in North America.

pinonuevo

Dec 7, 2020
Roman
1718313763169.jpeg

pinonuevo

Dec 7, 2020
Roman
Many use A/C Insulation would bring the long term costs of AC way down.
It would help to have a ridge ventilation to allow for cross air ventilation. / It could be solar Fan (Cheap) 12 volt/24volt/48 volts

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
I have insulation curtains on all of my windows. You'd be surprised at the difference it makes.

I also had "Toldos' installed outside which I'm sure will be a big help as well.
JD what is"Toldos" and also what are insulated curtains?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
JD what is"Toldos" and also what are insulated curtains?
The canopys you see above the windows on many houses to block the sun.

Insulated curtains are curtains that reflect heat. If you have a window that you can feel heat radiating from it when you walk by, an insulating curtain will block that heat and keep the room cooler.
The light blockers are curtains that block almost all exterior light from entering.

This is an example of curtains that do both. Best of all, they're cheap.

61eWT14ebEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Link:

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010

Insulated curtains are curtains that reflect heat. If you have a window that you can feel heat radiating from it when you walk by, an insulating curtain will block that heat and keep the room cooler.
The light blockers are curtains that block almost all exterior light from entering.

Link:

Thank you

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
One other reason that it's always so hot in Dominican houses is Dominican women always have all four burners on their gas stoves on max high for everything they cook. The concept of "simmer" is nonexistent.
The females in my wife's family (she, her mother, her sister, her step-mother and two aunts) definitely do not do this and are very precise on how they adjust the stove. How do I know this? Because often when I have passed by the kitchen during cooking, I've had to (out of curiosity and being hungry already...) watch under a pot to check if the stove is even one. They even use the settings outside of the set range so that there's just barely flame without turning of the stove to get minimum amount of heat - exactly to simmer...

I have also never ever seen four burners used at the same time unless they are really using those. My sister-in-law, as mentioned earlier, also had a small cafeteria where they earned their living by cooking... So it was done in a pretty professional manner...

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I think there are several reasons why most houses in the DR do not have insulated roofs and walls. One is expense, and the other is ignorance of the concept. Also, Dominicans are accustomed to the heat. Surely you have noticed Dominicans wearing Jackets and hoodies when is 90 plus degrees F. Hell most Dominicans aren't sweating unless they are doing vigorous exercise or work.
I agree with this, but what I don't understand is expats blasting their A/C full-time in their office (our neighbor used to do this) while their doors and windows are the most simple ones and let all the cold constantly out.

I have not though that much of insulating roofs/walls but as many people fight with keeping the heat out during daytime, a bit better windows would help, in particular with A/C... Simple plastic windows are without doubt cheap but if you have an A/C, not so much, I'd think?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The females in my wife's family (she, her mother, her sister, her step-mother and two aunts) definitely do not do this and are very precise on how they adjust the stove. How do I know this? Because often when I have passed by the kitchen during cooking, I've had to (out of curiosity and being hungry already...) watch under a pot to check if the stove is even one. They even use the settings outside of the set range so that there's just barely flame without turning of the stove to get minimum amount of heat - exactly to simmer...

I have also never ever seen four burners used at the same time unless they are really using those. My sister-in-law, as mentioned earlier, also had a small cafeteria where they earned their living by cooking... So it was done in a pretty professional manner...
Yes, my MIL cooked just like that.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
I notice that in Dominican Republic most construction projects Residential or Commercial Do not use Insulation? Now with climate change i notice that house become an oven inside.
Is there a reason for that ? Are things changing in the new construction. I have seen that heat pump AC are more prevalent now than before.

You will understand why after receiving your first quotes about insulation material in the DR.

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018

Link:

The shipping cost of these curtains (they weigh 6.2 pounds) would be around 1600 pesos with DOMEX, likely the same with other couriers. Worth considering when checking local prices. Many tapicentros have the blackout curtain liners, I've added that behind the curtains in my bedroom to make it darker for sleeping