USPS mail to DR = mistake?

j250

Nov 17, 2003
Hey everybody, u can add me to the newbie list but I think I just made a mistake. I send an admissions package to a university in the DR and I sent it through the USPS global mail service. I checked this forum a few days ago, read some of the threads on mail to the DR and I am now realizing that I may have made a big mistake. I have some important documents in there as well as photos and copies of other documents. What should I do now? Should I just wait and hope it arrives or should I plan on rounding up all my documents again and sending them through FedEx? My hope is that since it is addressed to a university, it will get there without taking forever. That's probably just wishful thinking though. Any feedback would be appreciated.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
What is the cost of getting another package ready vs your loss if the original package is lost in the system or not del'vd in time? Only you can answer that. If it is really critical to you, opt to resend via FedEX, UPS, or DHL. Regards, PJT

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Mistake? If they were important and time-sensitive documents, yes, a big mistake. I lived in the capital when the Dominican mail service was actually supposed to be decent for a while (during the Leonel Fernandez administration), and even so I NEVER entrusted INPOSDOM with important and/or time-sensitive documents. I would strongly suggest preparing a second package.

BTW, you didn't keep a photocopy of your first package? Even here in the States, whenever I submit important documentation -- tax statement, application, etc. -- I keep a photocopy of what I submitted as a just-in-case. It has saved me several times over the years...
Regards,
Keith

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i have used usps global several times,,,,US to SDQ.....i believe that the USPS partner on the Dominican side is DHL and not IMPOSDOM,,,,,,,service could be good or slow but the package always got there.....FWIW.....eom....

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I've used USPS Global Express and never had anything lost. It doesn't always get there in "3-5 days" but non the less it gets there and unopened.

I would follow-up with a phone call if they haven't received it in 3 weeks, that the longest it took a letter once.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Me too.

kjdrga said:
I've used USPS Global Express and never had anything lost. It doesn't always get there in "3-5 days" but non the less it gets there and unopened..

I've also used USPS Global Priority on numerous occassions and haven't lost anything yet. Most mailings are to San Francisco de Macor?s; a few to San Juan de la Maguana and Boca Chica.

Mine usually take about 2 weeks or so. Don't despair yet!

Swede

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
USPS global..........about 6 or 7 bucks,,,,,,,,,,,FED EX about 33 mas o minus,,,,,,,,,,at a difference of 25 bucks times 41 pesos.......hmmmm........not knocking fed ex they're service is supurb.............make copies ,,,,,,,,,,drink difference....eom