USPS system failures

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I order a fair amount of eBay and most the shippers use the Untied States Postal System to ship to one of the freight forwarders in DR that I use
Of late many things are showing delivered (that are not) or they are getting lost in the USPS system and just stop being tracked in their system.
I wonder if others are seeing this disturbing trend ?
I know it is Christmas but I have never seen such a state of incompetency in the USPS

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I have seen the same problem lately. My forwarder blames the USPS. I usually wait a day or so after USPS says delivered then make a claim to my forwarder and within a few hours the package shows as received. Makes me wonder who is really at fault.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have a package that was "lost" in shipping (USPS) even though it said in route. I got the email saying it was lost but then the tracking number says it is in route.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
I bought small item on Amazon 4 days ago. Supposed to arrive in FL by dec 6. Standard shipping. Per tracking? It hasn’t even been shipped yet. Very slow. USPS fault? Not sure..

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have an eBay store. I shipped something to California from NJ and it was stuck in Philadelphia for over a week. It showed up in Guam. Bounced around and today it’s in Honolulu. Tomorrow is one month since it was shipped. Don’t blame the forwarders……

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
In the last two years, I had three checks NEVER arrive. I had paperwork arrive 16 months late. Recently I had a package delayed. I messaged the sender, and they were told by USPS that it was in Chicago. (for three weeks) After USPS confirmed it was in Chicago, I got it in PA the NEXT day. Bizzaro!

Nobody

18+++
Apr 10, 2020
I have an eBay store. I shipped something to California from NJ and it was stuck in Philadelphia for over a week. It showed up in Guam. Bounced around and today it’s in Honolulu. Tomorrow is one month since it was shipped. Don’t blame the forwarders……
Guam and California both have postal codes beginning with 96xxx.
Automatic machines mis-reading code?

Guam-Postal-Codes.jpg

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Nice try Sky - but the problems of the post office go way back

I venture to say 30 years. Perhaps the most inefficient and inept service in the US (more akin to a 3rd world postal organization).

But everyone ordering off eBay or other suppliers that use USPS to ship to a DR freight forwarder should expect a good number of losses.

Last edited by a moderator:

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Nice try Sky - but the problems of the post office go way back

I venture to say 30 years. Perhaps the most inefficient and inept service in the US (more akin to a 3rd world postal organization).

But everyone ordering off eBay or other suppliers that use USPS to ship to a DR freight forwarder should expect a good number of losses.
As you said as of late…

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

....​

Mail delivery slowdown: USPS to slow delivery starting October 1​

This is not helping you get your XMAS packages...................

Mail delivery for many Americans will slow starting on Friday, part of Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's blueprint for overhauling the U.S. Postal Service in order to slash costs. But critics say the slower delivery standards could cause problems such as late bill delivery while more broadly undermining the public's faith in the USPS.

Mail delivery for many Americans will slow starting on Friday, part of Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's blueprint for overhauling the U.S. Postal Service in order to slash costs. But critics say the slower delivery standards could cause problems such as late bill delivery while more broadly undermining the public's faith in the USPS.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have seen the same problem lately. My forwarder blames the USPS. I usually wait a day or so after USPS says delivered then make a claim to my forwarder and within a few hours the package shows as received. Makes me wonder who is really at fault.
I've been told that for the USPS, a package is marked delivered once it is handed off to the delivery carrier person, be it a USPS employee or contract person.

Whenever something is sent to me via USPS, I go to the USPS website and register the package for updates. Probably doesn't help, but at least I see things moving through the system.

I also ask vendors to ship using signature required delivery. Some will do it, others don't.

Reactions: chico bill
Jan 9, 2004
Well chronicled over decades? Then let's see something other than what you can type out yourself..........................And I am NOT interested in the postal service losing money. They work with tax payer money and need to deliver, which they did until recently...........................
Google search is your friend......something you should have done before you made your ridiculous and incorrect political statement above.

Carry on......but at least try to verify beforehand.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I receive shipments with USPS quite often. USPS tag it delivered when it's left at the nearest post office, from there it takes a couple of days before my mail forwarder receives it even if it's just a 10 min drive. It used to piss me off now I'm used to it, I just wait. Nothing ever got lost.

Jan 9, 2004
Inept now?
"Always reliable until"? More political nonsense.

"Mail service is becoming slower, more expensive, and less reliable."

"The United States Postal Service (U.S.P.S.) is probably the worst managed and one of the least honest corporations in America."

"One innovation after another has failed as the Postal Service struggles..........................."

"From mail delivery times to productivity increases to nine-digit zip codes, the Postal Service turns out reams of misleading information."

"Americans are suffering a gradual extinction of mail service. In the past 15 years, the U.S.P.S. has intentionally slowed mail delivery, cut back on mail collection pickups, shortened the target zone for overnight delivery, reduced business deliveries, imposed strict requirements on the size of letters it will accept, and begun the abolition of home delivery."

"Congress is considering ending Saturday mail delivery."

"Postal delivery may have been more reliable in the 1920s." (Quoting the postmaster general)

The above quotes were taken from this piece written.....................................in 1985;

https://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/pa047.pdf#:~:text=Mail service has been deteriorating,back service to the public.&text=According to U.S.P.S.

Carry on.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
"Always reliable until"? More political nonsense.

"Mail service is becoming slower, more expensive, and less reliable."

"The United States Postal Service (U.S.P.S.) is probably the worst managed and one of the least honest corporations in America."

"One innovation after another has failed as the Postal Service struggles..........................."

"From mail delivery times to productivity increases to nine-digit zip codes, the Postal Service turns out reams of misleading information."

"Americans are suffering a gradual extinction of mail service. In the past 15 years, the U.S.P.S. has intentionally slowed mail delivery, cut back on mail collection pickups, shortened the target zone for overnight delivery, reduced business deliveries, imposed strict requirements on the size of letters it will accept, and begun the abolition of home delivery."

"Congress is considering ending Saturday mail delivery."

"Postal delivery may have been more reliable in the 1920s." (Quoting the postmaster general)

The above quotes were taken from this piece written.....................................in 1985;

https://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/pa047.pdf#:~:text=Mail service has been deteriorating,back service to the public.&text=According to U.S.P.S.

Carry on.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

The USPS has no reason to exist. They know it.

• Haha
Reactions: cavok

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
So a post from 36 years ago in 1985 is suddenly relevant in a thread that the OP and other posters clearly state that the current service is no good NOW.

What about between 1985 and 2019?..................

Jan 9, 2004
So a post from 36 years ago in 1985 is suddenly relevant in a thread that the OP and other posters clearly state that the current service is no good NOW.

What about between 1985 and 2019?..................
It is when you take a thread and make an incorrect political statement as to the reliability of the post office and who appointed "someone".........as you did in post number 8;

"This all started about 2 years ago when "someone" appointed a new boss of the USPS......................."

Again, google is your friend..............lots of articles written between 1985- 1985,,,,,,,,,,,,much more reliable than just making it up as you did above.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
How is the postmaster general appointed?

The Postmaster General is selected and appointed by the Board of Governors of the Postal Service, the members of which are appointed by the president of the United States, with the advice and consent of the United States Senate. ... The appointment of the postmaster general does not require Senate confirmation.