USPS system failures

Jan 9, 2004
How is the postmaster general appointed?

The Postmaster General is selected and appointed by the Board of Governors of the Postal Service, the members of which are appointed by the president of the United States, with the advice and consent of the United States Senate. ... The appointment of the postmaster general does not require Senate confirmation.
Board of governors member are appointed by the President for 7 year terms. Each incoming President can nominate new governors as their terms expire.

No more than 5 can be from the same political party.

Postmaster General serves at their discretion (Board)..........he/she is not appointed by the President..............as was previously stated.

No President has been able to fix the USPS. It has been broken for decades and it has become even more exacerbated by the pandemic.

In the modern era, the advent of fax machines, email, Fedex/UPS/DHL have all contributed to the external headwinds the service is facing.

Internally, it has been mismanaged for decades as well.

No one seems to have the answer/formula as to what how to fix the problem.

But for sure, its reliability/dysfunction is not just the result of one person over the last two years.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
So a post from 36 years ago in 1985 is suddenly relevant in a thread that the OP and other posters clearly state that the current service is no good NOW.

What about between 1985 and 2019?..................
Sounds a bit like a disease that continues to go untreated.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
That could explain a lot.
The USPS is a mess and has been struggling with delivery services for quite a while.
There are dozens of articles/ videos on the internet of their "employees" dumping packages
and boxes full of mail in the trash or some other inconspicuous place. Lost, stolen and late
mail is the new normal and the quality of people who work these important positions is dismal.
Packages being shipped/arriving by train in some states are a major problem as well due to theft.

Reactions: irishpaddy

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Never had problems buying on ebay and ship to freight forward in Miami with USPS. California to Miami says 3 to 5 five days most of the time arrives in 3 days. For me very good service and cheap. Use around 6-8 times per year last 5 year so far all well.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Sounds like a huge headache. I use a post office as often as I do a bank. Once a year, if that.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I order a fair amount of eBay and most the shippers use the Untied States Postal System to ship to one of the freight forwarders in DR that I use
Of late many things are showing delivered (that are not) or they are getting lost in the USPS system and just stop being tracked in their system.
I wonder if others are seeing this disturbing trend ?
I know it is Christmas but I have never seen such a state of incompetency in the USPS
Just to refresh some memory here is the OP's original post. Read it.....................Of Late............And the last sentence..........

DBL J

Sin bin
May 18, 2021
States
The crapification of the USPS has been deliberate. The private carriers like UPS and FedEx would LOVE to privatize the USPS.....this has been an on-going affair for a long long time; which is why you had the likes of the CATO institute shilling for these companies way back then and currently. More recently, in a bipartisan fashion, the post office has been knee capped with the passage of the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006...... plenty to read about with that piece of legislation, and that has been the driver of the massive losses that PostMaster Generals have then used as an excuse to destroy the Postal Service.....the long game is to mismanage the Post Office so that people will eventually be eased into accepting a private takeover...... oh by the way, the Post Office, as a government run entity, does things that private companies don't do now, and probably never would do i.e. universal service obligation ..... knowledge is the basis for all understanding

Reactions: CristoRey

DBL J

Sin bin
May 18, 2021
States
I for one love my post office and would encourage allowing the post office to offer more in terms of basic services, including mom and pop banking like in some other countries

Reactions: AlaPlaya

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The crapification of the USPS has been deliberate. The private carriers like UPS and FedEx would LOVE to privatize the USPS.....this has been an on-going affair for a long long time; which is why you had the likes of the CATO institute shilling for these companies way back then and currently. More recently, in a bipartisan fashion, the post office has been knee capped with the passage of the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006...... plenty to read about with that piece of legislation, and that has been the driver of the massive losses that PostMaster Generals have then used as an excuse to destroy the Postal Service.....the long game is to mismanage the Post Office so that people will eventually be eased into accepting a private takeover...... oh by the way, the Post Office, as a government run entity, does things that private companies don't do now, and probably never would do i.e. universal service obligation ..... knowledge is the basis for all understanding

Are you trying to make a case for keeping the USPS? If so, you need to do better.

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
RE: ----I order a fair amount of eBay and most the shippers use the Untied States Postal System to ship to one of the freight forwarders in DR that I use
RE: ----Of late many things are showing delivered (that are not) or they are getting lost in the USPS system and just stop being tracked in their system.
RE: ----I wonder if others are seeing this disturbing trend ?
RE: ----I know it is Christmas but I have never seen such a state of incompetency in the USPS

I live in Florida that happens here all the time. eventually the Items do arrive, I wish the US government de-regulate the postal system here and give USPS some competition.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
RE: ----I order a fair amount of eBay and most the shippers use the Untied States Postal System to ship to one of the freight forwarders in DR that I use
RE: ----Of late many things are showing delivered (that are not) or they are getting lost in the USPS system and just stop being tracked in their system.
RE: ----I wonder if others are seeing this disturbing trend ?
RE: ----I know it is Christmas but I have never seen such a state of incompetency in the USPS

I live in Florida that happens here all the time. eventually the Items do arrive, I wish the US government de-regulate the postal system here and give USPS some competition.
I wish they would just go back to the way it was before this new Director was appointed and took it straight downhill.............

Reactions: CristoRey

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
The USPS is a mess and has been struggling with delivery services for quite a while.
There are dozens of articles/ videos on the internet of their "employees" dumping packages
and boxes full of mail in the trash or some other inconspicuous place. Lost, stolen and late
mail is the new normal and the quality of people who work these important positions is dismal.
Packages being shipped/arriving by train in some states are a major problem as well due to theft.

Something like this...

Thieves Raiding Packages From Union Pacific Cargo Containers Downtown