Vaccinations for both legal residents and illegal aliens in the DR - Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Relax.
I'm sure the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will step in and take care of your vaccination needs.
No need for Bill to step in for me... I am a DR citizen with a Cedula. I started this thread to see what would happen regarding vaccinations for legal residents and illegal aliens since the government announced that Citizens with Cedulas would get free vaccines. The WHO was asked to step in for "others".

So far, there has been no additional news about point that after I posted it. Just discussion about other unrelated things and conjecture on the original question.

Reactions: CristoRey

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
From Friday's News

It is likely that the first vaccines to arrive to the Dominican Republic will be supplied by the Collaboration for Equitable Global Access to Covid-19 Vaccines (Covax) through the Covid-19 Global Access Fund for Vaccines, promoted by the World Health Organization.

The Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) representative in the country, Olivier Ronveaux, said yesterday that the Dominican Republic will receive 542,400 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine starting this month. Between 25 to 35% of these doses “will be arriving in the country by the middle or end of February,” he said.

The Dominican government has contracted around 20 million doses to Pfizer, AstraZeneca and Covax, among other suppliers.
A lot of the vaccines or all from covax are free to the DR government? Biden said today usa would be donating vaccine to 3rd world countries...would not be surprised if the DR was one of them........

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
First I have seen about any "free" vaccines for the DR.

Now I wonder what legal residents or illegal aliens will be able to do if they want a vaccine in the DR?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for the link. I couldn't find the chat function you refer to so I left an email contact message. Now we wait to see if anyone responds.
I could not find it this morning either. so resent as email using their online form. That looks more reliable.

Now I wonder what legal residents or illegal aliens will be able to do if they want a vaccine in the DR?
Windeguy, I posted a thread urging all legal residents to email the Ministry of Health to express our concern that we are being ignored. If we can get a good number of legal residents to do that, we have a better chance that if we just talk about it on DR1.

Messaging the Ministry of Health is very easy to do.

Go to the Ministry Of Health website https://www.msp.gob.do

In the upper right corner under the search box is "contactos". Click on it. When the page opens, scroll down to the form for sending an email to them. Write your message, click to send, and you will receive a message that it was sent successfully

Best, I think that you include your ID number so they can confirm you are legal resident..

I hope you will take a couple of minutes to do this and will also help get other residents to do the same. One or two messages are easy to ignore, but if we can a number of residents to do this we have a better chance

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I could not find it this morning either. so resent as email using their online form. That looks more reliable.

Windeguy, I posted a thread urging all legal residents to email the Ministry of Health to express our concern that we are being ignored. If we can get a good number of legal residents to do that, we have a better chance that if we just talk about it on DR1.

Messaging the Ministry of Health is very easy to do.

In the upper right corner under the search box is "contactos". Click on it. When the page opens, scroll down to the form for sending an email to them. Write your message, click to send, and you will receive a message that it was sent successfully

Best, I think that you include your ID number so they can confirm you are legal resident..

I hope you will take a couple of minutes to do this and will also help get other residents to do the same. One or two messages are easy to ignore, but if we can a number of residents to do this we have a better chance
I wish you luck with this. I am a DR citizen, so I am covered in this situation.
I do expect that anyone with a cedula is likely to get the vaccine free from the government eventually, but you never know.

Hopefully other legal residents will take your lead on sending a message to the government.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I expect we'll hear a statement at some point.

Obviously, the decision is to address citizens first....... the remainder can be decided later
based on availability etc....

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I expect we'll hear a statement at some point.

Obviously, the decision is to address citizens first....... the remainder can be decided later
based on availability etc....
You can help make it happen by sending a message to the ministry of health

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Really! DR military and police cannot vote? Very interesting.
At least we know now that the military are a priority for free getting vaccinations. I expected they would be, despite not being able to vote, they are still citizens with cedulas.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Johnson and Johnson in the mix:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

I'm sure you are familiar with the word manana aren't you?
This is when they will start vaccinating the folks don't have
citizenship down here so relax, enjoy your day and remember...
the more things change, the more they stay the same around here.

• Haha
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'm sure you are familiar with the word manana aren't you?
This is when they will start vaccinating the folks don't have
citizenship down here so relax, enjoy your day and remember...
the more things change, the more they stay the same around here.
I am a DR citizen. I asked the question for someone else in my original post. Nobody has any updated answers from that post.

Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No, of course not. Is there anyone here on the board that doesn't know that?
In my home country, Pfizer vaccine is going to be allowed to be stored in normal refrigerators for up to two weeks. So there is that tidbit of an update that it supposedly is still good at that temperature for two weeks. They say.

Military will be vaccinated in one of the first rounds since they are Citizens with Cedulas even if they can't vote (which is irrelevant to their being vaccinated for free).

Still no update I have seen on if legal residents will get free vaccines.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Still no official word that I have seen regarding vaccine shots for legal residents or those in the country without status. That is except for oblique references to the WHO being responsible for vaccinating them. Still waiting and hoping to hear that residents will have some realistic option(s).

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
In my home country, Pfizer vaccine is going to be allowed to be stored in normal refrigerators for up to two weeks. So there is that tidbit of an update that it supposedly is still good at that temperature for two weeks. They say.
I've seen the same information on various news fronts.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Still no official word that I have seen regarding vaccine shots for legal residents or those in the country without status. That is except for oblique references to the WHO being responsible for vaccinating them. Still waiting and hoping to hear that residents will have some realistic option(s).
My guess is that we have already been told who will get free vaccines and it is Citizens with Cedulas.

Reactions: Caonabo

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks to a person on Facebook, It looks like the answer is YES.

Looks like, reading between the lines, Everyone living in the DR but the Haitians:

These are the foreigners who will be vaccinated against COVID-19 in the country BY: NOTICIAS NO WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 17, 2021 - 11:02 AM | FIRST PLANA, Previous article They agree to promote academic exchanges for the benefit of Dominican students Next article They occupy 49 packages of presumable cocaine under a ship in SPM SANTO DOMINGO.- Yes, foreigners residing in Dominican territory will be vaccinated against COVID-19, he assured The infectologist Jesús Feris Iglesias, member of the Government Health Cabinet. 'There will be about six million more or less additional doses (...) those people who live in the country, who are shown to live in the country, are going to be vaccinated,' he said in the central interview of El Despertador . He cited as part of these foreigners diplomats, consuls 'and all those other people who are living in the country, whether for economic exile, political exile or whatever.'

“What we cannot say is that everyone who arrives we are going to vaccinate because we have a country next to us that has the same number of inhabitants of us that has not started its vaccination process and if we (…) do not have the Resources to vaccinate another 10 million ”, he clarified.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Encouraging news if it pans out in practice. Waiting for the announcement on where to line up and when.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
"When" is mentioned in today's DR 1 news along with "great" news about the, ugh, Chinese vaccine:

Vice President Raquel Peña, who heads the Abinader administration’s Health Cabinet, was at Las Americas International Airport on the evening of 23 February 2021 to receive the shipment of 768,000 Coronavac/Sinovac vaccines from the People’s Republic of China. The vaccines flew in on an Air France flight from China. The Vice President was accompanied by Dr. Mario Lama, who is the head of the National Health Service, and Foreign Minister Roberto Alvarez. China ambassador Zhang Run was also present for the arrival of the Chinese vaccines.

The batch includes 728,000 purchased by the Dominican government and 40,000 donated by the Chinese government. President Luis Abinader had said the vaccines cost the government US$21 each. At the airport, Vice President Raquel Peña told journalists each vaccine cost US$20.

Persons in Phase I of the Covid-19 National Vaccination Plan will receive the vaccines.

The National Vaccination Plan Phase I groups are:
Phase IA (Covid-19 front line health workers
Phase IB (all medical workers)
Phase IC (adults 60+ with comorbidities, with priority for those in senior homes)
Phase ID (adults 60+, military and Police, teachers)

Phase I of the National Vaccination Plan encompasses 1.5 million people.

Phase II is scheduled for May to July 2021 and encompasses an additional 1.2 million people. It will cover those 50-59 years with comorbidities first and those 50-59 years.

Phase III is contemplated for August to December 2021 and will first cover the population 18-49 with comorbidities and the rest of the population 18-49.

The vaccines are warehoused at the installations of the Expanded Immunization Program (PAI).

Last week, the first vaccines were received from the India manufacturing plant Covishield/Oxford-AstraZeneca in two batches of 20,000 and 30,000. These were used for front line Covid-19 health care workers.

The Ministry of Public Health reports that 19,117 persons have been vaccinated from 16 to 22 February 2021, the first week of vaccinations in the Dominican Republic. The National Vaccination Plan calls for vaccinating 7.8 million people from February to December 2021.

At the last minute, the Chinese vaccine order was made when it became apparent previous contracted orders would not be delivered as originally stipulated. There is no date for delivery of government orders with the Covax Facility of the World Health Organization/Pan American Health Organization and separate contracting with Oxford-AstraZeneca/United Kingdom and Pfizer-BioNTech.

So far, the country has received 818,000 doses.

In the Caribbean, the situation is the same. Trinidad & Tobago authorities received a small shipment of 2,000 shared by Barbados. Barbados purchased 100,000 vaccines from India’s Oxford-AstraZeneca plant. Jamaica is expecting its first vaccines from the Covax Facility in April 2021.

Read more in Spanish:
Presidency

Noticias SIN

Loop Jamaica
Nation News

NPR

24 February 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.