Vaccine for visitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I am not aware of any announcement by the Govt here dealing with who can get the vaccine, how they can get it or how it will be paid for when it becomes available.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I expect you are correct on that point. It is the when it will become available to nonresidents that is the more pressing concern I would think.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Where are you coming from - what country

Non-residents in any country may have a hard time getting the vaccine....
A precious commodity.....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Money talks over here. Just offer a tech in a lab a hundred US propina and see how fast the vaccine is in your arm.

Reactions: Jumbo

Challenger007

Nov 2, 2020
Springfield, Illinois
I would doubt that the vaccine will be available for any normal resident within three months of mid-December, let alone visitors.

They say that mass vaccination of the population should be expected sometime in 2022. Although, if pharmaceutical companies manage to increase the pace of vaccine production. But in general, we can only wait. I would like to believe that by the time we receive the vaccine, the rate of spread of the disease will drop, because a large number of people will get sick.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I would not trust anyone in the DR that would take a bribe to get the vaccine. You might end up getting saline solution thinking you are immune now. Unless you have serious connections you are out of luck.

Reactions: cavok and windeguy

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
They say that mass vaccination of the population should be expected sometime in 2022. Although, if pharmaceutical companies manage to increase the pace of vaccine production. But in general, we can only wait. I would like to believe that by the time we receive the vaccine, the rate of spread of the disease will drop, because a large number of people will get sick.
2022? Where did you read that information?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
By Feb if you are not in a high risk group you won't even be able to get your vaccine back home, why would you think it will be available for the general population in the DR by then?????

BObK

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
By Feb if you are not in a high risk group you won't even be able to get your vaccine back home, why would you think it will be available for the general population in the DR by then?????

BObK
I don't think "back home" has anything to do with how they will be distributed here. Did you see the news here about how they plan to do it?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The question is whether you will be able to get a shot.... when available

I see 3 broad categories

Citizens - Residents - Visitors

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I hope the Govt has the wisdom to realize that the virus doesn't distinguish between those three broad categories of people. Protect the medical personnel, then the elderly and those with preexisting conditions then very quickly after that the general population who are the largest group of spreaders as they are the ones not staying home, wearing masks and gathering in groups all the time. Dominican or foreigner shouldn't matter. If you are here in the DR you are a potential case of illness and a potential vector for further disease spread. The goal is and should remain stopping the spread of this extremely contagious virus while people go about their daily lives. To accomplish this, everyone needs to be vaccinated and should be offered such at the earliest possible opportunity. I don't know what to do with people who voluntarily decline to receive the vaccine I'm sure the Govt doesn't either. If done correctly, line ups to receive the injection should be pretty impressive kind of like on the last day of marbete sales only worse.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I hope the Govt has the wisdom to realize that the virus doesn't distinguish between those three broad categories of people. Protect the medical personnel, then the elderly and those with preexisting conditions then very quickly after that the general population who are the largest group of spreaders as they are the ones not staying home, wearing masks and gathering in groups all the time. Dominican or foreigner shouldn't matter. If you are here in the DR you are a potential case of illness and a potential vector for further disease spread. The goal is and should remain stopping the spread of this extremely contagious virus while people go about their daily lives. To accomplish this, everyone needs to be vaccinated and should be offered such at the earliest possible opportunity. I don't know what to do with people who voluntarily decline to receive the vaccine I'm sure the Govt doesn't either. If done correctly, line ups to receive the injection should be pretty impressive kind of like on the last day of marbete sales only worse.
Are you saying people here illegally should have the same priority as citizens and legal residents? Citizens and legal residents will likely have the same priority. Illegal aliens? Who knows.

As for the time frame, I expect 2021 to be the year of vaccinations, possibly extending into 2022.
It takes time to make, distribute and inject enough people to reach herd immunity. I doubt it can be done in one year.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We are heading to Sosua mid Dec for a 3 month stay.
Once a COVID vaccine is available in the DR will it be available for us?
As others have pointed out, enough money makes most things possible. When you say visitor what do you mean? Someone here for up to 120 days on tourist card? A legal resident? Or an illegal alien on extended overstay?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sorry ronthelimey, I missed the detail you would be here in mid-December for 3 months.

I find it doubtful you would be able to get both injections in that time frame. Almost zero chance without a lot of money and connections since the DR will just be starting its regimen during that period if things go well. Later if they don't go well.

Reactions: ronthelimey
Status
Not open for further replies.