Vehicle protectors

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Just thought I'd throw this out there.
Being retired with 4 vehicles, I ended up with a lot of dead batteries in them.
I sold one, but am having a hard time deciding which one will be next.
In the meantime, I discovered these little guys, and I like how they work.
It's nothing more than a remote control relay you install on the negative side of your battery.
It stops the dead battery problem, would be a great deterrent to someone trying to steal your car, and it's dead cheap and easy to install.
71UyNj5FBXL._SL1500_.jpg

You lose some common settings (like radio presets) each time you use it, but to me it's a small price to pay. (I listen to a couple of Dominican stations from my cel phone via a bluetooth connection. Like having Sirius but without paying.)
This particular one is only 20 bucks, and there are even cheaper ones available on Amazoon.

Reactions: Peterj

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
It's nothing more than a remote control relay you install on the negative side of your battery.
It stops the dead battery problem, would be a great deterrent to someone trying to steal your car, and it's dead cheap and easy to install.
71UyNj5FBXL._SL1500_.jpg

You lose some common settings (like radio presets) each time you use it, but to me it's a small price to pay. (I listen to a couple of Dominican stations from my cel phone via a bluetooth connection. Like having Sirius but without paying.)
This particular one is only 20 bucks, and there are even cheaper ones available on Amazoon.
JD. I noticed some auto manufacturers are offering tire lock accessories. A pain to use and, I suspect not very effective. The interrupter switch you posted is an update of the hidden on off switch accessory I used to install on my Triumph TR-6 and MGB convertibles Decades ago. Cars with simple electrics. Given the technical complexity of today’s vehicles , I wonder if this would void the warranty on some vehicle computer systems.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
You may have a point. I live in an old car world.

• Haha

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
Given the technical complexity of today’s vehicles , I wonder if this would void the warranty on some vehicle computer systems.

👆..Most likely not 'void' ...but not worth trying to find out ....

If you have a BMW/Audi/Mercedes for example , it will most likely be a very expensive lesson to learn ....

Issues with the computer systems for these cars.?? 😬😬😬....huge payday for the dealership ..."resetting"...💵💵💰...days, weeks or even months of worry 😖🤬for you ....

Trickle charger ...long story .

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
If you have a BMW/Audi/Mercedes for example , it will most likely be a very expensive lesson to learn ....
The overall quality has dramatically dropped. I own a X5 X2.5 diesel. A couple of months ago the oil pan tore spontaneously. Of course it was repaired under warranty but ontherwise it would have cost around 3k.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
👆..Most likely not 'void' ...but not worth trying to find out ....

Issues with the computer systems for these cars.?? 😬😬😬....huge payday for the dealership ..."resetting"...💵💵💰...days, weeks or even months of worry 😖🤬for you ....

Trickle charger ...long story .

So, do you run the risk of an expensive lesson when you change your battery? It is literally the same thing.

I do have a few trickle chargers that do the trick, but I kinda like not having to open the hood, run an extension, etc.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
So, do you run the risk of an expensive lesson when you change your battery? It is literally the same thing.

I do have a few trickle chargers that do the trick, but I kinda like not having to open the hood, run an extension, etc.
I use computer controlled trickle chargers on my motorcycles during winter layups. Never had a problem with any of the computers on my bikes. I’d be comfortable using them on my Mazda CX-5. Just bolt on or plastic tie in place and run the cord out through the grille.

I was rear ended and had to replace the rear computer sensing system on my Mazda. My insurance covered the $3000 cost for the system. I’m hesitant about using my car to boost cars with dead batteries. The car manuals list the procedure for replacing batteries without damaging the computers. The computer programs can handle infrequent battery replacement. I don’t know if they could handle frequent interruptions.

Cars today are much more reliable but there is something to be said for a vehicle with carbs, points and condenser, and other simple electrics. Much cheaper to work on and you could do it yourself with a Haynes vehicle maintenance manual.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
71UyNj5FBXL._SL1500_.jpg

and than i have to reset the time at the Radio system every morning and to run arround with two remotes. ay noooooooo

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
and than i have to reset the time at the Radio system every morning and to run arround with two remotes. ay noooooooo
They give you two remotes but you only use one.

I listen to Escape 88.9 so my radio is close each time. LOL

• Haha
Nov 9, 2023
SC
Car computers (pcm) have fuses for protection. They seldom go out on their own. Without key inserted most aren’t even powered. What is wiped out after a battery change or cutoff is usually the short term memory and stored engine codes. The reset or reflash dealers try to sell you is basically the same as taking the car for a 15 minute drive. The pcm is reset to base settings and will learn the new optimum actual settings based on the engine sensors. This is also needed when you replace sensors on the engine.

I wouldn’t recommend cutting off the battery daily if the car is used daily. For a longer time the remote relay is a perfectly good and simple solution.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Car computers (pcm) have fuses for protection. They seldom go out on their own. Without key inserted most aren’t even powered. What is wiped out after a battery change or cutoff is usually the short term memory and stored engine codes. The reset or reflash dealers try to sell you is basically the same as taking the car for a 15 minute drive. The pcm is reset to base settings and will learn the new optimum actual settings based on the engine sensors. This is also needed when you replace sensors on the engine.

I wouldn’t recommend cutting off the battery daily if the car is used daily. For a longer time the remote relay is a perfectly good and simple solution.
I agree with you. In my case, my vehicles sit for days if not weeks between driving experiences.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I cant believd that with all the modern technology there isnt anything cheap and easy to use

Nov 9, 2023
SC
You could use a simple 12v solarpanel with a cigarette lighter plug. Put it behind the windshield and it will keep the battery charged.