Vehicles must carry two plates from next year!

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Speaking of the ever-efficient Digicett (Amet)...last week on the autopista (just west of Ciudad la Palma) I got pulled over for doing 106kph in a 100kph zone. That is a blisteringly fast 3.78mph over the posted limit!!! He held me there for over 20 minutes as he said that my proof of insurance (including a copy of the payment from my bank) was not proof of insurance. I was also told by him, that I must show him "respect". Eventually, he must have realized that I was not about to give him beer money.

Now, this was not one of the guys riding a Chinese trail bike, but driving a nice shiny new Mazda pickup, thus someone with a little seniority. Traffic enforcement has a long way to go before any camera technology comes into play.

BTW...a few minutes later at the intersection in Veron by the airport, 2 Amet vehicles decided to run the red light...go figure!
It's a told joke. always about palm grease, I don't stop if i can help it make believe like I don't see them.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
If we live here we need to at least spell it correctly and know what it stands for
Dirección General de Seguridad de Tránsito y Transporte Terrestre: DIGESETT
Why do we need to know? I've lived here all the time that DIGESETT (right?) has been in existence and have never known what it stands for. My not knowing has made no difference to my or anyone else's life. I wonder how many Dominicans know?

• Love
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Why do we need to know? I've lived here all the time that DIGESETT (right?) has been in existence and have never known what it stands for. My not knowing has made no difference to my or anyone else's life. I wonder how many Dominicans know?
I respectfully decline to interact with you sir. Better for you to enjoy some 2 for 1 Long Island iced teas while listening to ABBA's greatest hits at Mojito Bar happy hour. You can bring your Dominican comadre from that cedula pic you posted.

• Sad
Reactions: Big and drstock

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
Hugo Beras, the INTRANT director with a new (weird) update about the front plates:

- Next month the institution will place a public bid for the company(ies) will provide the service
- Old plates will be fully replaced with the new ones
- The system will work with front and rear plates
- ALL plates (car, motos, trucks) will come with QR codes, microchip and Paso Rapido system included
- Renewing marbetes/revista will be automatically paying with credit/debit cards or similar like prepaid phone service
- The new plates will be fully replaced nationwide in 2024 (not on this Marbete season, that actually will start in 2 weeks)
- Speed camera tickets will be in place in 2025 and linked to your auto insurance (that includes motos, too)
- Speed tickets will be sent via Whatsapp or Email to citizens

cc @El Hijo de Manolo , @PCMike

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Hugo Beras, the INTRANT director with a new (weird) update about the front plates:

- Next month the institution will place a public bid for the company(ies) will provide the service
- Old plates will be fully replaced with the new ones
- The system will work with front and rear plates
- ALL plates (car, motos, trucks) will come with QR codes, microchip and Paso Rapido system included
- Renewing marbetes/revista will be automatically paying with credit/debit cards or similar like prepaid phone service
- The new plates will be fully replaced nationwide in 2024 (not on this Marbete season, that actually will start in 2 weeks)
- Speed camera tickets will be in place in 2025 and linked to your auto insurance (that includes motos, too)
- Speed tickets will be sent via Whatsapp or Email to citizens

cc @El Hijo de Manolo , @PCMike
Hmmm I see a collassal cluster f in the making

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
Hmmm I see a collassal cluster f in the making
In the interview he states that this roadmap will be in different phases:

- Q4 2023: Bidding contractors
- Q4 2024: New plates with QR codes
- Somewhere 2025: camera tickets
That's my interpretation of what he said on video.

Also, he mentions that the database (drivers, insurance companies, paso rapido) is in the works.
Notice the Abinader administration has a Digital agency (Ogtic) who's dealing to integrate all databases from all DR agencies.
So far the best databases in the country are from JCE (civil registry) and DGII (taxes).

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
If we live here we need to at least spell it correctly and know what it stands for
Dirección General de Seguridad de Tránsito y Transporte Terrestre: DIGESETT

With all due respect, have to agree strongly here with drstock, I have lived in the DR for years it being called AMET and another few years during DIGESETT, however, NONE of the Dominicans I interact with, that being most my wife's family and our neighbors (entrepreneurs), call them that, only AMET... It's not that they don't know the name change nor what does it mean, it's the habit and what they're used to call them... I do the same, as AMET is also easier to spell... So if an expat calls them AMET or does not know what the new abbreviation stands for, I think that's perfectly fine.... Their function is really what matters, traffic police... Or so they claim to be at least...

Just my 2 cents... again, not meant to offend anyone, just my observation...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Many Dominicans still call the DIGISETT as AMET.

It's like changing the name of a street. It maybe avenida whatever González, but people will continue to refer it as "la Churchill" or "la Charles." Heck, the malecón has always been named avenida George Washington and you will be given a trillion dollars if just one Dominican refers to that street by its proper name.

Reactions: bob saunders

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have NEVER heard a Dominican NOT call them AMET. Not one ever since they changed the name...............

Reactions: rogerjac