Vehicles must carry two plates from next year!

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
They will be selling a lot of these................This is just an example, but there are really good ones out there..........

The SPRAY CAN stuff is a Lot better IMO, ... these Covers tare too easily seen and a Cop walking up behind can not see the plate Numbers if his eyes are looking down at them so them will definitely ticket you because its obvious what the cover is doing
... The Spray reflects the Light much better idea. and you can claim you have no idea why the plates reflect the Light . Can even claim you just cleaned them with a New Cleaner .

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The SPRAY CAN stuff is a Lot better IMO, ... these Covers tare too easily seen and a Cop walking up behind can not see the plate Numbers if his eyes are looking down at them so them will definitely ticket you because its obvious what the cover is doing
... The Spray reflects the Light much better idea. and you can claim you have no idea why the plates reflect the Light . Can even claim you just cleaned them with a New Cleaner .
Dealing with a Cop here is different than a machine. Cops take money, machines don't...........

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
So what your saying is the political motivation for this is to ensure drivers pay the tolls. Nothing to do with enforcement of the road safety rules.

The enforcement of an additional front plate is to prepare Sto. Dgo. for what we see in London today. If you do not have en EV and enter the city you will be taxed.

BTW, came accross an interesting reason why EV are pushed although they make no sense. It is easy to autonomously charge an EV or change a battery pack. Refilling fuel autonomously is way too complicated. It makes little sense to own a car when fleets of advanced robotic limousines are instantly available. The money sides wants to sell the transport service and you should not own.
Not sure, however this is the only logical explanation why the only disadvantageous EVs are enforced.

Alexander

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

The enforcement of an additional front plate is to prepare Sto. Dgo. for what we see in London today. If you do not have en EV and enter the city you will be taxed.

BTW, came accross an interesting reason why EV are pushed although they make no sense. It is easy to autonomously charge an EV or change a battery pack. Refilling fuel autonomously is way too complicated. It makes little sense to own a car when fleets of advanced robotic limousines are instantly available. The money sides wants to sell the transport service and you should not own.
Not sure, however this is the only logical explanation why the only disadvantageous EVs are enforced.

Alexander
That is bat shit crazy. I really don't believe the DR would implement such a stupid policy. I don't think they have the technology to make it happen nor do I think the people would stand for it. Those cameras would however, make for good target practice.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
WOW.

So do I have to fabricate my own front license plate? I was only given one when I bought the car

haha
Are you thinking of when they inacted the law that requires motorcycle drivers to wear a helmet?

HydljSI.jpg

https://www.diariolibre.com/actuali...tificar-conductores-de-motocicletas-YK1950023

Don't worry. No one will notice. A helmet is a helmet.

• Haha
Reactions: AlaPlaya

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
That is bat shit crazy. I really don't believe the DR would implement such a stupid policy. I don't think they have the technology to make it happen nor do I think the people would stand for it. Those cameras would however, make for good target practice.
I agree. I can see it being used to ensure tollbooth fees are paid but not to tax non EV drivers who want to spend their money in Santo Domingo. The economy of the city would suffer and the government would have a rebellion in an area with their largest number of voters.

Big Brother is alive and thriving in Britain.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Are you thinking of when they inacted the law that requires motorcycle drivers to wear a helmet?

HydljSI.jpg

https://www.diariolibre.com/actuali...tificar-conductores-de-motocicletas-YK1950023

Ya gotta love it! Only in the DR. Anytime I was in a store where helmets were being sold, I looked for the DOT approval. Most of the helmets are cheap Chinese made crap and not DOT approved. Some motorcycle shops carry the more expensive DOT approved helmets. Even if it has DOT approval, they should be replaced every ten years.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It makes me laugh that you see plenty of trucks around with no front bodywork at all. Where are they going to put the front plate?

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata

Alexander
It makes no sense to compare the developing DR to advanced modern countries.

Even the most advanced countries are far away from implementing only EV's or robotic taxies and busses.
Just look at recent San Francisco issues with robots taxies.
Old infrastructure in EU with street parking no underground parking for all the old apartment dwellings and no charging stations.

In addition police and parking enforcement has licence plate recognition in advanced countries.

The DR with its chaotic drivers in SDQ and STI and elsewhere would stall robs vehicles safety programs, stopped all the time by dangerous drivers and motorcycles.
There is no danger in our lifetimes to worry about EV's, or hyper advanced systems in the DR.
Playa will make money importing EV's for a small group of exclusive clientele.
The rest he imports will be combustion engines.

Like in all poor countries, average people will continue to use and maintain to a minimum whatever they can afford,
With zero consideration for the environment.
That's for the rich, who also have a hard time coping and implementing new systems and power infrastructure.

The only way would be efficient public transit.
Eliminating much of the pollution, traffic jams, associated problems, administration and costs of vehicular traffic.

Of course this also will not happen in a meaningful level in our lifetime in the DR.
Best we can hope for is very slow and small progress.
Maybe even a new Cangrejo bridge after two years, on the only North Coast highway with a small bridge span.
Something gob.do accomplished miraculously in a relatively short time over the Río Camú, enabling the detour.

Meanwhile we can enjoy future pipe dreams, which used to be inspired by opium.

Reactions: chicagoan14

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata

HydljSI.jpg

Sad truth.
Even if it is unbuckled, an empty bucket, and of course police motorcycle passengers do not need one going the wrong way on a one way street.
Luckily we have numbered vests for concho's, helmet stickers, and motorcycle drivers licences for all.
Meanwhile the chaos and carnage on DR roads continues.

hedon

Mar 26, 2008

What are the chances of this happening?!
This is sort of related but I can not find the answer to my question which is: Do you need to be a resident to register a car or motorcycle in DR?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This is sort of related but I can not find the answer to my question which is: Do you need to be a resident to register a car or motorcycle in DR?
You need a cédula to register one.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I don't think you do. I know several people who have registered vehicles using just their passport.

To get a driving licence, however, you do need a cedula.

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
I really don't believe the DR would implement such a stupid policy. I don't think they have the technology to make it happen nor do I think the people would stand for it.
After they did impose all the malicious corona measures like the lockdown, mask duty, covid tests, restrictions for those refusing poisenous injections etc. not believing that the D.R administration wll not continue to do whatever authoritarian measurements they are told to impose against their population is what is unbelievable to me.

The front licence plates enable a bunch of use cases. The D.R. politicans do not care why they have to enforce them now. Once they are in place they will be told how to use them and the technology will be provided. Small step to prepare more and advanced surveillance.

Expect more little steps like the licence plates now to enforce an international ID mandatory for a bank account, global health certification and the known traveler ID. The Abinadar administration is member of the club and they will implement all, even if it makes no sense to them.

Alexander

Jan 9, 2004
I was informed at the port in June that they would be implementing a two placa system soon.............but soon in Dominican time is an elusive concept, Much like I learned many years ago that Manana does not necessarily mean tomorrow..........it just means not today.

As to installing cameras to read license plates, first they need the cameras installed and properly maintained (in case no one has noticed, maintenance is not a strong suit for the government or elsewhere). For sure a politico is forming an SRL to purchase and sell those cameras to the government.

Then they need to update and maintain database addresses/matriculas which are so far behind they may never catch up. Next, there are so many vehicles whose ownership has never been legally transferred that a nightmare of who is to be responsible will ensue,

Finally, reference in an above post is made to a ULEZ (Ultra Low Emission Zone) plate recording system in the UK to ostensibly fine/tax people for driving ice vehicles in that area...............and the climate activists are all on board with it.

But wait till the tables are turned and those same cameras are used in the future to tax EV's as a way to recover all those road taxes lost that were paid by ice vehicles while re-fueling.

Pivoting back to the DR, a functioning plate camera system for whatever reason..................Manana for sure.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
After they did impose all the malicious corona measures like the lockdown, mask duty, covid tests, restrictions for those refusing poisenous injections etc. not believing that the D.R administration wll not continue to do whatever authoritarian measurements they are told to impose against their population is what is unbelievable to me.

The front licence plates enable a bunch of use cases. The D.R. politicans do not care why they have to enforce them now. Once they are in place they will be told how to use them and the technology will be provided. Small step to prepare more and advanced surveillance.

Expect more little steps like the licence plates now to enforce an international ID mandatory for a bank account, global health certification and the known traveler ID. The Abinadar administration is member of the club and they will implement all, even if it makes no sense to them.

Alexander

Unfortunately getting older has not resulted in the accumulation of factual knowledge for you.
Fortunately you were too smart to get poisoned or sick from some imaginary virus.

As the fox you are just relax, don't spew venom.
Realize that wherever you go you will be controlled by governments.
Obviously you choose the DR.
You have various choices N.America, EU, Russia, China to name just a few.

The DR gob.do will do whatever they deem correct, two plates, invisible plates, fees, fines, documents.
Or just do as some Dominicans do, your choice.
Submit old fox..........

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
They cannot keep the traffic light countdown clocks functioning, so I am not too optimistic this system will work for long either.