Vehicles must carry two plates from next year!

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
The only reliable, functioning reliable database in the country belongs to the DGII, so any functional, updating motor vehicle db is a light year away at best, contrary to the unofficial govt marketing folks here.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
They cannot keep the traffic light countdown clocks functioning, so I am not too optimistic this system will work for long either.
Maybe, but countdown clocks don’t produce money for the government. This system has the potential to create for the politicos what they like the most.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
This will be interesting to see. Happy to see they're making some advancements.
1695739437280.png

• Haha
Reactions: AlaPlaya and Peterj

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Where I am from, the front plate is read by a dash camera and computer,that tell the police in the car to pull you over...........

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
So, a microchip in a sticker that has to match with the plates. This is going to be fun.

• Haha
Reactions: Peterj

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
I'll wait with buying the new Marbete in October, chances are things will change and we have to pay double...or triple...
But my best guess is they postpone (=cancel) the whole shiskebab due to the impossible task.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
So….do we all get new plates with new numbers, or an additional one with the number we already have???? The logistics are mind boggling, considering where we’re talking about.
I know if that's the case, I'll be in line the first day to avoid the masses.

Reactions: Peterj and AlterEgo

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
I have no idea how they'll be able to pull this off. My only thought would have been when people go to renew their marbetes.
No announcements yet. And Marbete season starts in less than 4 week. As many other DR1ers, I'm worried about the logistics on this, altough all major intersections in Santo Domingo, Santiago, San Francisco and Punta Cana are with cameras already installed. The Gov managed pretty fast installing them over the last 2-3 years.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
I have no idea how they'll be able to pull this off. My only thought would have been when people go to renew their marbetes.
We probably have to pay in advance and then wait till they printed the plates.....here my imagination (based on facts in the 24yrs living here) takes over so I stop typing...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

I thought the same thing, but since the current plate supposedly stays with the car forever, I guess they have to make a duplicate for the front. Maybe you pay the marbete and have to go back to pick up plate. I’m laughing here just imagining going back and them actually finding the plate that matches my name. It boggles the mind.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
So, a microchip in a sticker that has to match with the plates. This is going to be fun.
Don't worry, it will all be ok. Don't forget the infamous unified database. Everything about anyone goes in the database. They'll get you at the toll booth, they'll get you at the airport, they'll get you in your home! The DR has it all under control

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
No announcements yet. And Marbete season starts in less than 4 week. As many other DR1ers, I'm worried about the logistics on this, altough all major intersections in Santo Domingo, Santiago, San Francisco and Punta Cana are with cameras already installed. The Gov managed pretty fast installing them over the last 2-3 years.
the Camera in Punta Cana unless just the like Amet.

Reactions: PCMike

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
the Camera in Punta Cana unless just the like Amet.
Speaking of the ever-efficient Digicett (Amet)...last week on the autopista (just west of Ciudad la Palma) I got pulled over for doing 106kph in a 100kph zone. That is a blisteringly fast 3.78mph over the posted limit!!! He held me there for over 20 minutes as he said that my proof of insurance (including a copy of the payment from my bank) was not proof of insurance. I was also told by him, that I must show him "respect". Eventually, he must have realized that I was not about to give him beer money.

Now, this was not one of the guys riding a Chinese trail bike, but driving a nice shiny new Mazda pickup, thus someone with a little seniority. Traffic enforcement has a long way to go before any camera technology comes into play.

BTW...a few minutes later at the intersection in Veron by the airport, 2 Amet vehicles decided to run the red light...go figure!

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
If you wonder from where the push to monitor and control individual traffic comes from and what are the goals:

"Maria Eugenia del Castillo currently serves as a Special Advisor to the Vice Presidency of the Dominican Republic (DR). With a dual training in international affairs and economics, she has committed her professional career to public service. With over 15 years of leadership roles in the multilateral system, including positions at both the Inter-American Development Bank and as a diplomat to the UN, she has fostered cross-sectoral collaboration to contribute to advancing the world's most complex problems at both national and international levels. Most recently, Maria has been a key player in the creation and deployment of the COVID-19 vaccination strategy in the DR, facilitating coordination across different entities, the private sector and international organizations to deliver a complex, fast paced response to the pandemic. Maria also served as the DR's lead negotiator in the construction of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in 2015. In 2012, Maria was selected to serve as a UN Facilitator and G77 negotiator (representing 133 countries) in topics related to food security and climate change. Maria graduated summa cum laude from the Pontificia Universidad Catolica Madre y Maestra in the DR with a degree in Economics and holds a Masters Degree from Columbia University. She is also a Young Global Leader of the World Economic Forum."

What this shows is that the fascist WEF organization has a grip on the Abinadar administration.
Dominican politicians have no clue about the long term goals of the new licence plates except to collect more money. They do what they are told to.

Alexander