Vehicular Preference

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2007
Something I have never seen in the DR (I'm sure they exist) and rather spartan inside to say the least but would be perfect for the DR as you can't kill them, the Toyota Land Cruiser 1960-78? I had several friends who owned them, as I say they are strictly utilitarian but great off road vehicles and surprisingly civilized on the highway I don't know what the maintenance is like in the DR, early years in the US had head gasket problems but by early 70's they were bullet proof, especially if you could find a diesel Downside is pretty lousy gas mileage for it's class, gearing I believe 12-14mpg on a good day https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser_(J40) Nice review, damm these things have gotten expensive https://jalopnik.com/this-is-why-everyone-wants-an-fj40-toyota-land-cruiser-1794192907

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Something I have never seen in the DR (I'm sure they exist) and rather spartan inside to say the least but would be perfect for the DR as you can't kill them, the Toyota Land Cruiser 1960-78? I had several friends who owned them, as I say they are strictly utilitarian but great off road vehicles and surprisingly civilized on the highway I don't know what the maintenance is like in the DR, early years in the US had head gasket problems but by early 70's they were bullet proof, especially if you could find a diesel Downside is pretty lousy gas mileage for it's class, gearing I believe 12-14mpg on a good day https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser_(J40)

one of our DR1 members bought one. i went with him to inspect it. you cannot kill them..

May 5, 2007
one of our DR1 members bought one. i went with him to inspect it. you cannot kill them..

Yes you can, just look at cost :-( I just did some online looking and found decent ones are $75-100,000.00 USD Unreal :paranoid: These use to be the go to vehicles for guys wanting a cheap 4x4

In reality you are correct, very tough vehicle I only knew one person who had a diesel, can't recall the size but it felt under-powered on the highway but off road it was a true "Stump puller" So much torque

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
When I was looking a few months ago I noticed that it was difficult to find the big engines that had real HP. Both diesel and gasoline have been down sized to meet economy that many desire but will NOT do the job of pulling/towing and giddy up and GO. They are all compensating with 8 speed transmissions.

My 5.7 Lt. Hemi has an 8 speed/shift transmission and it's great. But I would not want a 4 or 6 cylinder that can not get out of it's own way when I need to step on it and get around others. And I can pull trailers and pull that stump. lol (done it with my 2000)

I see these skate board cars pass me when I'm ... ahh ... ahhh.. cruising on the highway at around ... ahhh, 80 mph. But if I need to pass them they are left in the dust within seconds. More important is being able to pass those large trucks 3 or 4 at a time. On the hills and in mountains those little engines are like the heavy trucks; dead weight.

Sunday AM drive from the Sousa area to S.D. clear weather = 3 hours and 15 minutes.
Tuesday AM (left at 5 AM) rain most of the ride = 3 hours 45 minutes.

My preferences are guts, safety, ability, reliability and comfort. Price, MPG was not a real factor for us. Having the right vehicle for our needs was.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
When I was looking a few months ago I noticed that it was difficult to find the big engines that had real HP. Both diesel and gasoline have been down sized to meet economy that many desire but will NOT do the job of pulling/towing and giddy up and GO. They are all compensating with 8 speed transmissions.

My 5.7 Lt. Hemi has an 8 speed/shift transmission and it's great. But I would not want a 4 or 6 cylinder that can not get out of it's own way when I need to step on it and get around others. And I can pull trailers and pull that stump. lol (done it with my 2000)

I see these skate board cars pass me when I'm ... ahh ... ahhh.. cruising on the highway at around ... ahhh, 80 mph. But if I need to pass them they are left in the dust within seconds. More important is being able to pass those large trucks 3 or 4 at a time. On the hills and in mountains those little engines are like the heavy trucks; dead weight.

Sunday AM drive from the Sousa area to S.D. clear weather = 3 hours and 15 minutes.
Tuesday AM (left at 5 AM) rain most of the ride = 3 hours 45 minutes.

My preferences are guts, safety, ability, reliability and comfort. Price, MPG was not a real factor for us. Having the right vehicle for our needs was.

be very selective when you decide to dust off skateboard cars. try to check that they don't have the badge Subaru WRX STI, or Mitsubishi Evolution 8...

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Something I have never seen in the DR (I'm sure they exist) and rather spartan inside to say the least but would be perfect for the DR as you can't kill them, the Toyota Land Cruiser 1960-78? I had several friends who owned them, as I say they are strictly utilitarian but great off road vehicles and surprisingly civilized on the highway I don't know what the maintenance is like in the DR, early years in the US had head gasket problems but by early 70's they were bullet proof, especially if you could find a diesel Downside is pretty lousy gas mileage for it's class, gearing I believe 12-14mpg on a good day https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser_(J40) Nice review, damm these things have gotten expensive https://jalopnik.com/this-is-why-everyone-wants-an-fj40-toyota-land-cruiser-1794192907
I had one a J70 diesel, yellow. I sold it for 180.000 to a guy in Moca. Noisy and slow, but a lot of fun on the beach of Playa Rogelio.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Just another "block". so tired of know it all's.

you need to lighten up. how is it that you angry old guys live in a mellow place like the DR and still want to fight with everybody? you mean to tell me that the nice weather, the lovely scenery, and the really human people do nothing for your disposition?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
The OP has loads of information and most of it he does not need. lol

I'm always amazed how "we" give our advice and much of it has nothing to do with real owning/doing but impressions from what we have read or heard from others. Google is your friend?

Wishing you happy driving. Done with this. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.