Vice President tells of talks to manufacture vaccines here; highlights success of Dominican handling of the pandemic

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Raquel-Pena-Farmaceuticas-Vacuna-Vicepresidencia-1024x683.jpg

Vice President Raquel Peña spoke of the international acknowledgment the Dominican Republic is receiving for the management of the Covid-19 pandemic, when addressing manufacturers in the Cibao and northern regions. The Vice President Peña just returned from an official visit to Spain and Qatar. Vice President Raquel Peña is also the head of the Health Cabinet that has been responsible for key decision-making in the health sector and the management of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Speaking at the Annual Luncheon 2021 of the Association of Industries of the Northern Region (Airen) in Santiago, the Vice President said the next step for the country is to ensure that big pharma manufacture Covid-19 vaccines here. She said there are ongoing talks with several pharmaceutical companies.

In her talk entitled “Health, Economic Recovery and Vision of the Future,”...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Grampa

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Follow Science. Is everything a conspiracy? Hard to dispute the validity and efficacy of vaccines.
Conspiracy?
Your words, not mine.
I follow science.
Science tells us these vaccines serve one purpose. They may help you from dying if you catch Covid. They do not stop the spread. They do not guarantee you will survive once infected. So why are they continuing to insist we get more shots?
Whether or not a person is willing to risk their personal safety should be up to that individual not some "scientist". Much like driving a car. You weigh those risk and take a gamble every time you get behind the wheel regardless of whether or not you decide to wear a seatbelt don't you?

Reactions: windeguy

Grampa

Banned
Nov 15, 2021
Kansas
Conspiracy?
Your words, not mine.
I follow science.
Science tells us these vaccines serve one purpose. They may help you from dying if you catch Covid. They do not stop the spread. They do not guarantee you will survive once infected. So why are they continuing to insist we get more shots?
Whether or not a person is willing to risk their personal safety should be up to that individual not some "scientist". Much like driving a car. You weigh those risk and take a gamble every time you get behind the wheel regardless of whether or not you decide to wear a seatbelt don't you?
Yes Sir, my reply was ALL my words. It looks like your version of science is not really Scientific nor Science. You're correct that there are no guarantees but it's clear that getting vaccinated has virtually no downside for all but the teeniest percentage of people and it's not that they are unimportant but compared to all the good they do the choice is clear, to almost everyone. Not getting vaccinated affects others beyond your scope or awareness so for the good of "all" you are asked to get vaccinated. Even if that was not the case it does generally protect you from death and probably from the need to be hospitalized and intubated, again freeing up the space for others likely with other ailments who could otherwise unfairly not get the treatment they need and deserve. It also makes it less likely that the vaccinated will spread Covid and if they do it's a much less virulent version, milder and that much less likely to spread further or cause serious complications.

So again I'll ask what's the issue with that? It's good for the person so even the selfish have that going for them and for the majority of people, who actually care about others, it's really that simple. You're also conflating personal choice with normal morals and the seatbelt argument is not applicable. Virtually everyone wears seatbelts without thinking. It's ingrained. So is doing things for others even if there is a minimal inconvenience to the individual. It's how society works.

On a more personal level I would have no issues at all with those who are too selfish, ignorant, indignant or whatever to get vaccinated, if there was no impact on others. You could get sick and die, or not and it would not affect anyone, and would help make space for the rest of us, however, you have no right to be a Typhoid Mary. I'm sure this has all been said before so let's not be those guys, that can't let it go. Do or don't do as you want but don't pretend that it doesn't negatively affect others or that you have some God given right. Those choosing without a real and valid health reason are at best misguided and at worst contributing to the spread of disease and will be shown to be on the wrong side of history.

I'll leave the last word for you if you must.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Yes Sir, my reply was ALL my words. It looks like your version of science is not really Scientific nor Science. You're correct that there are no guarantees but it's clear that getting vaccinated has virtually no downside for all but the teeniest percentage of people and it's not that they are unimportant but compared to all the good they do the choice is clear, to almost everyone. Not getting vaccinated affects others beyond your scope or awareness so for the good of "all" you are asked to get vaccinated. Even if that was not the case it does generally protect you from death and probably from the need to be hospitalized and intubated, again freeing up the space for others likely with other ailments who could otherwise unfairly not get the treatment they need and deserve. It also makes it less likely that the vaccinated will spread Covid and if they do it's a much less virulent version, milder and that much less likely to spread further or cause serious complications.

So again I'll ask what's the issue with that? It's good for the person so even the selfish have that going for them and for the majority of people, who actually care about others, it's really that simple. You're also conflating personal choice with normal morals and the seatbelt argument is not applicable. Virtually everyone wears seatbelts without thinking. It's ingrained. So is doing things for others even if there is a minimal inconvenience to the individual. It's how society works.

On a more personal level I would have no issues at all with those who are too selfish, ignorant, indignant or whatever to get vaccinated, if there was no impact on others. You could get sick and die, or not and it would not affect anyone, and would help make space for the rest of us, however, you have no right to be a Typhoid Mary. I'm sure this has all been said before so let's not be those guys, that can't let it go. Do or don't do as you want but don't pretend that it doesn't negatively affect others or that you have some God given right. Those choosing without a real and valid health reason are at best misguided and at worst contributing to the spread of disease and will be shown to be on the wrong side of history.

Oops...
Lol, no comment.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

So , would you force everyone to be vaccinated? With the exception of those that would be allergic to anything that is the vaccine, of course, but everyone else by law must be vaccinated?

Your typhoid Mary comment is rather irrelevant because it is known that those who were vaccinated can still spread CV19.

Grampa

Banned
Nov 15, 2021
Kansas
So , would you force everyone to be vaccinated? With the exception of those that would be allergic to anything that is the vaccine, of course, but everyone else by law must be vaccinated?

Your typhoid Mary comment is rather irrelevant because it is known that those who were vaccinated can still spread CV19.
Force? Like put a bullet in your head if you refuse kind of force? No. There are fewer and fewer holdouts so this becomes less of an issues as people's options are reduced.

Coerce, checkmate, take all the fun and opportunities out of your life and lock people out of their jobs to convince you to be like Spike Lee? Yes, without hesitation. People, those holding out and refusing to be good citizens, should not have the right to put others at risk. It's selfish and ignorant and unnecessary.

The transmission rates and the reduces effectiveness of the virus coming from the vaccinated is much less an issue than from those who are unvaccinated so it's a fair comparison as far as I'm concerned.

Grampa

Banned
Nov 15, 2021
Kansas
Well easy to say the vaccines only affect a small percentage negatively, unless you are one of those that has been affected either in person or family. https://www.theburningplatform.com/2021/05/23/how-many-have-died-from-covid-vaccines/
I agree but the reality is that it's such a small number or percentage that it's extremely unlikely and well worth it to the vast majority of people with positive outcomes.

"Got to break eggs to bake a cake" and all that.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Force? Like put a bullet in your head if you refuse kind of force? No. There are fewer and fewer holdouts so this becomes less of an issues as people's options are reduced.

Coerce, checkmate, take all the fun and opportunities out of your life and lock people out of their jobs to convince you to be like Spike Lee? Yes, without hesitation. People, those holding out and refusing to be good citizens, should not have the right to put others at risk. It's selfish and ignorant and unnecessary.

The transmission rates and the reduces effectiveness of the virus coming from the vaccinated is much less an issue than from those who are unvaccinated so it's a fair comparison as far as I'm concerned.
Your explanation certainly fits my definition of "force" people to vaccinate. We will see what level of force is enacted in the DR come December1.

After a couple years of the Wuhan Flu, I can see it isn't going anywhere The vaccines are waning, vaccinated people can be contagious, the length of natural immunity is to be determined. It is here, there and everywhere to stay and likely to infect almost everyone over the coming years. Get ready for more "booster" shots. Don't forget the new variants!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Anual boosters on the way.
Follow the money folks.
Almost guaranteed given the infection power of the variants like Delta and the reduced efficacy of the first two shots. Now we have a super variant coming out of Southern Africa and the initial assumption is the current shots won’t stop it’s infectious nature. Many countries are considering banning people from Southern Africa until science gets a better idea of what the variant is capable of doing. The WHO describes the B.1.1.529 mutation as potentially the worst variant yet. Detected in South Africa, Botswana and Israel so far.

Like death and taxes, it appears we will never escape some form of Covid. If that is truly the case, the law of averages would lead one to believe that the majority of unvaccinated people will eventually catch some form of Covid. For the unvaccinated it’s turning into a never ending waiting game. A constant sword of Damocles hanging over their head, so to speak.

Personally, I’m not comfortable knowing a constant threat exists that could cause me increasing isolation if I wasn’t vaccinated. As the mutations arise, the benefits of getting vaccinated appear to far outweigh the risks of not getting vaccinated, personal choice aside.

Reactions: Grampa

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Almost guaranteed given the infection power of the variants like Delta and the reduced efficacy of the first two shots. Now we have a super variant coming out of Southern Africa and the initial assumption is the current shots won’t stop it’s infectious nature. Many countries are considering banning people from Southern Africa until science gets a better idea of what the variant is capable of doing. The WHO describes the B.1.1.529 mutation as potentially the worst variant yet. Detected in South Africa, Botswana and Israel so far.

Like death and taxes, it appears we will never escape some form of Covid. If that is truly the case, the law of averages would lead one to believe that the majority of unvaccinated people will eventually catch some form of Covid. For the unvaccinated it’s turning into a never ending waiting game. A constant sword of Damocles hanging over their head, so to speak.

Personally, I’m not comfortable knowing a constant threat exists that could cause me increasing isolation if I wasn’t vaccinated. As the mutations arise, the benefits of getting vaccinated appear to far outweigh the risks of not getting vaccinated, personal choice aside.
Fact. Vaccines do not prevent people from catching or spreading Covid. Unfortunately they do not prevent people spreading misinformation about these facts either. It's time for people to start focusing on their individual health and stop worrying about who is and who is not vaccinated.

Grampa

Banned
Nov 15, 2021
Kansas
Fact. Vaccines do not prevent people from catching or spreading Covid. Unfortunately they do not prevent people spreading misinformation about these facts either. It's time for people to start focusing on their individual health and stop worrying about who is and who is not vaccinated.
Except for the fact that the current vaccines do mitigate and drastically reduce the severity of covid if passed to others and the effects to you if and when you get it. Saying or implying that they don't is the misinformation you and others keep spreading.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Except for the fact that the current vaccines do mitigate and drastically reduce the severity of covid if passed to others and the effects to you if and when you get it. Saying or implying that they don't is the misinformation you and others keep spreading.
100% agreed.
Correct me if I'm wrong but to mitigate and drastically reduce is not the same as prevent or eliminate. Appears there is another new variant. This one is from Africa. Back to the drawing board...