Vin Diesel's shirt fires up social media

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It’s interesting to me how the comments are divided in this thread. I’m American. My first thought was “with everything going on in this world right now, THIS makes news?” I mentioned it to Mr AE, who is Dominican but has lived in USA 45 years. He snapped! I got the whole
disrespectful speech. I admit it surprised me how strongly he felt about it.

This is a guy who lives in shorts, sleeveless shirts and flip flops at home (both countries) but that Dominican sense of decorum was drummed into him as a boy I guess. None of his brothers would ever dress down like he does. They come to the campo like it’s a work day, long pants, dress shoes and all.
Same here. Long pants, usually long sleeve shirt. Short sleeve on weekends. I can't think of a govt. office that doesn't have a person to stop anyone who isn't dressed appropriately at the door.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Same here. Long pants, usually long sleeve shirt. Short sleeve on weekends. I can't think of a govt. office that doesn't have a person to stop anyone who isn't dressed appropriately at the door.
Actually, not just government offices. I remember stopping at Tipico Bonao for lunch on our way to Mao one time. Mr AE had on a shirt like Vin Diesel. A horrified waiter ran out and intercepted us in the parking lot 😱. We had a suitcase with more appropriate attire, so he changed.

Reactions: Radical

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
Actually, not just government offices. I remember stopping at Tipico Bonao for lunch on our way to Mao one time. Mr AE had on a shirt like Vin Diesel. A horrified waiter ran out and intercepted us in the parking lot 😱. We had a suitcase with more appropriate attire, so he changed.

See, these are the types of encounters and situations I ponder about. A freaking rest stop, in the middle of nowhere; please explain to me the critical need of having long pants, long shirts and a tie to eat lunch in the middle of a trip?

I do get, understand and follow alone policies at banks, business offices, and government buildings to of course wear the proper attire, but from that to this?

Ridiculous!

Reactions: Russell

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE

To conduct business one wears business attire and my understanding by reading some of your replies is that you're a business person conducting business daily. To go to the beach, one wears beach attires.

The problem I have sets in just when these too easily to follow trends get confused by some of us, and to compound the issue, when some of us get judgemental about it?

If I'm on a trip to Samana to enjoy the weekend in Las Terrenas; why in the world do I need to drive in anything other than a pair of comfortable sneakers, a Bermuda shorts, a t-shirt or perhaps a short sleeve shirt?

And why would that bother anyone?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It’s interesting to me how the comments are divided in this thread. I’m American. My first thought was “with everything going on in this world right now, THIS makes news?” I mentioned it to Mr AE, who is Dominican but has lived in USA 45 years. He snapped! I got the whole
disrespectful speech. I admit it surprised me how strongly he felt about it.

This is a guy who lives in shorts, sleeveless shirts and flip flops at home (both countries) but that Dominican sense of decorum was drummed into him as a boy I guess. None of his brothers would ever dress down like he does. They come to the campo like it’s a work day, long pants, dress shoes and all.
It all comes down to a cultural thing.... as you suggest.

Easy to see from the responses who 'buys into' the RD culture and who doesn't.

If they call you out on it - how will you react?
Mr AE changed his shirt
Some here would advocate - Vote with your feet... the hell w/ this restaurant !

Live and learn ...........
Expat studies show those who accept and adapt to the culture fare better than those who don't.
Less stress, happier days.....more likely to stay than move on

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
It all comes down to a cultural thing.... as you suggest.

Easy to see from the responses who 'buys into' the RD culture and who doesn't.

If they call you out on it - how will you react?
Mr AE changed his shirt
Some here would advocate - Vote with your feet... the hell w/ this restaurant !

Live and learn ...........
Expat studies show those who accept and adapt to the culture fare better than those who don't.
Less stress, happier days.....more likely to stay than move on
It's a cultural thing along with personal preference. For me, I hate suits, ties, and all dolly dress-ups. So I go where that's not an issue. I still can't understand why someone cares about what someone else is wearing.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well, they do here..... witness gov't bldgs

No open toed shoes for women, etc.

This certainly is NOT a shirt/tie country... but it is respectful

You need not agree w/ the culture to respect it.....

Reactions: Big and Russell

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Not sure but I think it all comes down to style.
Cut off jeans, T top and flip flops? Not.
Croft & Barrons golf shirt, Pressed shorts and Topsider shoes (with socks) never got me tossed from the restaurant or yach club.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I hear ya, I am sure I am brain washed. After so many years in business a jacket and tie was the norm and wearing a uniform in the service you were always judged on appearance. I can't imagine going so casual with distinguished company. It is really a new trend the "business casual" concept. I now can wear a shirt w/o a tie on occasions and/or a polo/golf type shirt with the company logo. Most of the business hotels in St Dom Hodelpa and Marriott the gentleman will be wearing a collared shirt, pressed pants and polished shoes, unless they are going to the pool. A dress shirt and pants goes a long way here unless of course you are hitting the beach
Due to COVID19 I have restricted my goings and comings to absolute necessities ; however when I go to the beach (rare moment) I wear beach attire. When I go to a Clinic in the City I wear open neck shirt with blazer and slacks with polished shoes, when I go to a club or bar I am casual, when home I wear shorts , sandals and t shirts. This has nothing to do with fashion but everything to do with my upbringing in Uniform, business , home workshop and Industrial environment...I happen to adore floral Tropical Shirts ... my usual Friday night visit to a particular bar in Nova Scotia was wearing a Tropical floral short sleeve shirt. Yes even when it is cold and snow outside. Simply my trademark at the bar.
I wear what I want to wear, when I want to wear it, how I wear it; and do not like anyone telling me what I need to year just to please them.
I wear what pleases me and only me..However I am respectful of others and their station in society and life.
I recall on a Saturday evening at home I would cook a special meal and wear casual clothing (slacks, full shirt and cardigan, and opened a good bottle of wine .
It just made me feel good.... that's the genius of all this, what makes you feel good.
I came from a poor background where all clothes were hand-me-downs ; Mother stitched me a jacket from a sisters plaid dress.... I was thankful to have that.

This is a new world and there are a variety of new fashion statements including the 'butt crack'' guys whose trousers look like they are going to drop anytime to those comfortable in a suit.... I cannot throw stones as I live in a glass house.

Reactions: wayne and Radical

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
Due to COVID19 I have restricted my goings and comings to absolute necessities ; however when I go to the beach (rare moment) I wear beach attire. When I go to a Clinic in the City I wear open neck shirt with blazer and slacks with polished shoes, when I go to a club or bar I am casual, when home I wear shorts , sandals and t shirts. This has nothing to do with fashion but everything to do with my upbringing in Uniform, business , home workshop and Industrial environment...I happen to adore floral Tropical Shirts ... my usual Friday night visit to a particular bar in Nova Scotia was wearing a Tropical floral short sleeve shirt. Yes even when it is cold and snow outside. Simply my trademark at the bar.
I wear what I want to wear, when I want to wear it, how I wear it; and do not like anyone telling me what I need to year just to please them.
I wear what pleases me and only me..However I am respectful of others and their station in society and life.
I recall on a Saturday evening at home I would cook a special meal and wear casual clothing (slacks, full shirt and cardigan, and opened a good bottle of wine .
It just made me feel good.... that's the genius of all this, what makes you feel good.
I came from a poor background where all clothes were hand-me-downs ; Mother stitched me a jacket from a sisters plaid dress.... I was thankful to have that.

This is a new world and there are a variety of new fashion statements including the 'butt crack'' guys whose trousers look like they are going to drop anytime to those comfortable in a suit.... I cannot throw stones as I live in a glass house.

Great post Russell. (y)

A very dear and close person once told me, "Do what makes you happy and brings you peace."

"Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like."

Will Rogers

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I have heard, but never eye-witnessed, that some churches in Haiti will not let you in if you're not dressed up. Given the way they gussie up for church there, I tend to believe it. It's the antithesis of the Gospel.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Well, they do here..... witness gov't bldgs

No open toed shoes for women, etc.

This certainly is NOT a shirt/tie country... but it is respectful

You need not agree w/ the culture to respect it.....

I d say that among the millions of people who visit DR, less than 1% are aware of this clothing requirements.

See? I didnt event know that an open toe shoe wasn t authorized in a government building.

So, it s not a matter of agreeing or not, when you dont know about it.

May be some of you should volunteer and brief people arriving at the airport. I would love to see it... You can blow and clean your nose in public but you will be burnt if you go there shirtless... And please, men feel free to pee anywhere you feel like :)

Big

Apr 24, 2019

sounds like you agree with me. Dress appropriately for the occasion. Even with little money people here or anywhere for that matter can put together a clean pressed shirt, pants and shined shoes. Obviously if one is going to the beach a swim suit, short sleeve shirt and carrying a beach towel is ok. If one is going to a sports bar a sports jersey is appropriate. This dope Vin Diesel disrespected himself and the President with his sartorial selection. Going out to dinner in St Dom and Santiago is different than going out to a beach casita in Sosua. Dress up is in order especially for the ladies.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I d say that among the millions of people who visit DR, less than 1% are aware of this clothing requirements.

See? I didnt event know that an open toe shoe wasn t authorized in a government building.

So, it s not a matter of agreeing or not, when you dont know about it.

May be some of you should volunteer and brief people arriving at the airport. I would love to see it... You can blow and clean your nose in public but you will be burnt if you go there shirtless... And please, men feel free to pee anywhere you feel like :)
clearly some people don't adhere to any level of decorum. Thankfully I don't have to work, socialize or associate with people that have such questionable hygiene and lack of self respect.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
See, these are the types of encounters and situations I ponder about. A freaking rest stop, in the middle of nowhere; please explain to me the critical need of having long pants, long shirts and a tie to eat lunch in the middle of a trip?

I do get, understand and follow alone policies at banks, business offices, and government buildings to of course wear the proper attire, but from that to this?

Ridiculous!

To be fair, Tipico Bonao is far from a rest stop/parada

Reactions: Caonabo

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Back on topic. This isn't about going into a restaurant or a bank. It was a meeting with the President of the Dominican Republic. President Abinader is the representative of the Dominican people, and a chance to meet with him should be treated with respect.

You show respect to the office, especially if you're a visitor there. Vin Diesel has assistants, I'm sure, who could have asked what the dress code was. Even if he didn't, it's a function of common sense.

The only thing that might have made sense was if the President did a surprise visit while Mr. Diesel was on set filming. Otherwise, grab some trousers, long sleeves, and a light jacket unless specifically told otherwise.

It's probably no surprise to most that I'm not a fan of Former President Trump. But if I was invited to meet with him, and accepted, I'd dress appropriately, and would expect any and all other visitors to do the same. That should apply to all heads of all other countries, including the DR.

Status
Not open for further replies.