Violence Against Women

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
From DR1 News today

So far, 51 women have been killed by their partners in 2010, and that number has probably increased by one with the discovery of a female victim in the conjugal cells of one of the nation's prisons. This official figure exceeds the number recorded this time last year by 10, according to Roxana Reyes, Assistant Attorney General for Women's Affairs. Reyes said that the number is far greater than in countries such as Spain with more than four times the Dominican population, estimated at ten million, Reyes told Listin Diario reporters during a ceremony at a foundation that works to end family and gender violence.

Talking to a reporter from the Spanish news agency EFE, Reyes said that after a reduction of cases in 2008 and 2009, the number of cases is rising this year.

She said that women are becoming aware of their ability to complain to the authorities and she said that 20,000 reports have been filed.

She also said that the Dominican Republic is the sixth country in the world where men most frequently commit suicide after killing their partners.

The Foundation "Vida sin Violencia" honored Solange Alvarado for her work against family and gender violence.

WHAT is UP with this? Really shocking.

Does anyone have the link to the orginal Spanish study which placed the DR 6th? I did a story on this but could never find the orginal report.

Reactions: Bronxboy

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
its not shocking to me. its all ive seen my whole life amongst dominicans. doesnt matter what social class: domestic violence is common, accepted and swept under the rug. dominican women are practically moving targets, if you look at the stats and take into account exactly how many do NOT report--most dont.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I would like to know, what these women are doing to deserve a violent death like these? I am sure they were not just reading their bibles in a room and the crazy man came in and shot her on the face.
before you guys come to simple conclusion, you really have to peek inside the barrios and in personal lives of these people who have fallen victims to horrible crimes.
AZB

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I would like to know, what these women are doing to deserve a violent death like these? I am sure they were not just reading their bibles in a room and the crazy man came in and shot her on the face.
before you guys come to simple conclusion, you really have to peek inside the barrios and in personal lives of these people who have fallen victims to horrible crimes.
AZB

Is there really any reason to take a womans life, regardless of what she has done. The man should just man up and walk away....like I had to.....

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
oh yeah. im sure women are always asking for it when they get beaten regularly. the fact that the majority get beaten im sure is "no biggie". its only serious if theyre killed and even then itll be said they deserved it. MOST of the time its abuse thats escalated out of control, thats what it is. went from shaking, to slapping, to punching, to choking, to grabbing a machete and chopping her into 9878766 pieces. im sure if they werent so big mouthed and flirty it wouldnt happen. *sarcasm*

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
AZB

I love AZB, But not today dude..You are one of the best posters on DR1, but you just said one of the stupidest things ever.. NO one deserves to be killed by thier mate, no mtter what they have done to you..

Reactions: jrhartley

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I can understand from where AZB is coming, but to kill a woman just because she was being slutty around is not justified. Uno no se jode la vida por cueros, saque pie que mas pa'lante vive gente.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I'm extremely saddened that someone actually believes it is oK to take a precious life.
I hope you don't ever lose someone to a violent crime.

IMHO its a complex social problem.
It begins with the macho attitude & the notion that it is ok to have so many sexual partners and drop kids like flies.

On the other hand these men are raised by women (probably single women).
Oh what a tangled web we weave.

Reactions: greydread

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
AZB
Spoken like a "true believer"...perhaps we should go back to the stone-age and demand women walk behind men, and cover themselves in burghas.

Do you still follow the belief that it's a woman's fault if she is raped? What about honor killings and stonings for infidelity AZB? Your statement is disturbing but says alot about the type of "man" you are, and how you were raised.

A week ago you were talking about eating "sin meat" and this week you want to try and justify killing women. There's no excuse~NONE~short of defending yourself from imminent death, there's no reason to KILL....anyone!

One of God's Ten Commandments~"Thou shalt not kill":pirate:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Spoken like a "true believer"...perhaps we should go back to the stone-age and demand women walk behind men, and cover themselves in burghas.

Do you still follow the belief that it's a woman's fault if she is raped? What about honor killings and stonings for infidelity AZB? Your statement is disturbing but says alot about the type of "man" you are, and how you were raised.

A week ago you were talking about eating "sin meat" and this week you want to try and justify killing women. There's no excuse~NONE~short of defending yourself from imminent death, there's no reason to KILL....anyone!

One of God's Ten Commandments~"Thou shalt not kill":pirate:

Absolutely correct. I have noticed that Dominican women are quite violent also. Haven't experienced myself but I have witnessed it.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
No excuse for killing your partner,,,,, but,,,,,, Dominican women are very violent themselves and it seems obvious alot of the time they push it a little far. No, I am not in any way saying they deserve to be hit, punched, kicked, or killed, but I have witnessed a few situations that have become way out of control over very little leading to some serious violence being delt out by both sides, and usually due to alcohol.

Dominican mothers are quite agressive with their children in my experience, and I expect it just passes down the family tree. I am still in the process of putting in new disiplinary methods for our daughter into my mrs, it is what she knew as a child and is what she thinks is the solution to problems with our child. The first time a saw her slap my daughter hard and only in frustration the first instance in my mind was to launch her across the apartment, but I didn't, I somehow managed to understand from her way about what she did that she felt it was called for and normal, the way to deal with wrongdoings. It is a difficult situation to deal with but we are getting there and things are changing, infact have changed alot, and she can see that discipline does not need to mean violence.

I think with murders between lovers ALCOHOL has a massive part to play in it and many a man and woman will be in jail or dead due to a few extra rums before hometime.

IMO

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok the AZB bashers, listen up before you all start to follow the sheep which leads the bunch. You folks, especially catcher (who drinks beers all day in his productive time) have to see things a bit differently. If you folks just get out of your expat bubble and try to see the root problem of this tragic crimes, then and only then you will get to understand the problem. if you just say, oh AZB is an idiot and he is mean to say this about women, then you are doing a disservice to people who want to understand what is going on here.
So let me explain this a bit further because its clear that many folks have little clue about the DR society and poverty culture.

There are more killing among men vs men than men vs women. All are some what related. DR men do not take matter very lightly when he is working his butt off and struggling to make ends meet and then finds out his wife or girlfriend is sleeping with all barrio tigres behind his back. Look at what OJ did to his wife. This happens all over the world, not just in DR. In majority of the cases, victims do provocative things to instigate the reaction of the attacker (speaking of violent killings). I am not talking about some cell phone thief who kills a girl in a robbery, this happens to men as well. I am talking about poverty culture where the life takes ugly turns, especially when you add brugal factor to it.
You have girls who go work sosua street on weekends in order to make quick cash. many are from small towns and have boyfriends and husbands. You think the husband will take it lightly if he finds out his woman, mother of his 2 kids is sleeping with some sosua expat name catcher? I have a feeling, not only he will take care of her, but there are many many cases where the expat gets taken-care off as well in the act. This is the rule of the jungle here so take your risks accordingly. Dominican women know damn well, these guys are violent and jealous so why do they do things to provoke such a reaction? I am trying to say, most of the violent crime are taken place in retaliation for women sleeping with other men. I have seen this with my own eyes: woman is siting with her military boyfriend in a carwash and the husband comes in and shoots both of them to death. I have seen women beat up other women for sleeping with their boyfriends. I have seen guys take their own lives after killing their mate. Infidelity is as common in barrios as expats in sosua bars. Sex for many women is like having lunch with a friend. many get away, many get into trouble and some get killed. The victims know very well about the out-come of their behavior if they get caught, yet they still take the risk. Now I am not talking about some religious woman who got killed by her drunk husband, this can happen here as in any other country, I am talking about the majority of the cases. believe me, more men kill each other over this behavior than women by men. Many of you expats will never have a clue about this horrible barrio culture and their problems. You people live in a bubble.,
cather, please, listen and learn. You are an idiot with little clue about anything here. Now have your 7th beer at a local puta bar. good day.
AZB

P.S. have you seen so many of the sosua hookers have scars on their faces, arms and legs? many have received these from fighting other girl. So the women here are also not such saints.

Reactions: AlterEgo

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I love AZB, But not today dude..You are one of the best posters on DR1, but you just said one of the stupidest things ever.. NO one deserves to be killed by thier mate, no mtter what they have done to you..

I agree, no one deserves to be killed, but tell that to the lion if you jump into his cage to feed him some steaks. These women know damn well, the nature of the beast they are married to. they choose these men to have babies with and then they do things that provokes these types of reactions. Of course its not right to kill anyone but it seems the same men kill each other more frequently than killing other women. This happens all over the world, even in your small sleepy American town.
AZB

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
AZB 95% of the women muders in the DR are cuernos related, there's no arguing over that. The thing is, cuernos doesn't warrant some impotent dude (hint: get Lapela, is cheap) to go grab his gun, kill the baby, kill the girl (puta or not) and then kill himself. With the amount of beautiful women in the DR, just walk away and find another one. Your life is not worth a pu$$y.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
In a minute, Robert or someone else will come in and say the following:

"I know AZB is rude, crude, sexist, misogynistic, obnoxious in his writing in which he actually appears to justify violence against women, but there is a small colonel of truth in what he says, so I'm all behind him. As you all know, he's of Pakistani extraction, and therefore something of an expert on the proper ways of stoning adulteresses."

Followed by someone else who says (in their prissiest British accent possible):

"Pardon me, but "colonel" is actually spelled "kernel."

Now, before one of the moderators flips out about me using the term Pakistani, please note - it is an inappropriate and offensive generalization, just like AZB's notion that "if something happened to her, then she must've really been asking for it."

If my post is to be deleted, then logic and fairness dictates that his should be cut as well.

Anyone ever hear of a guy who was just an abusive jerk who likes to take out his life frustrations on those who are more vulnerable? What about alcoholics, drug addicts, those who are paranoid, etc.?

Women cheat. So do men, in droves. Either way, there's no justification for putting your hands on a woman except for very limited self-defense (meaning she's got some sort of weapon).

That may not be the way it is, but it is the way it should be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.