Visa Overstay / Immigration form Questions

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Got hit a couple of years ago by a young dominican so off we went to casa de chofers. Kid had not paid his insurance as samana santa was more important. fiscal also when looking at his license figured out it was a temporary (supposed to have a person with a valid license with him) he was solo. Fiscal went the hole 9 yards, cough up 10k or carcel
I was somewhat happy as that did not cover cost of repair

So yes sometimes they do look at the license.

Reactions: JD Jones

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
Always b/c the license is invalid after 90 days.....
Sounds like a debate I listened to yesturday! You are one of a kind to know so many overstayers that have had accidents with expired lic and insurance declined to pay that’s outstanding.. guess we keep same company my Acquaintances play smash up there fault or not Insurance paid , hell it was my fault moped rear ended me at red light Sadly my insurance paid even though I protested loudly about it! I keep having to remind myself this is DR normal rules don‘t apply . maybe your friends should get an insurance company that has there back like expat one, never heard one license issue but shit happens.
http://www.insurance-sosua.com

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Discussion is about DR not states or Mexico why deflect...
I have residency (now citizenship) in the DR because I need to have a driver's license SOMEWHERE.
So I can drive here, the US, Canada, Mexico, etc. I have residency NOWHERE ELSE. No deflection, just facts.

I live legally in the DR because I want to have a license as well as being legal for any and all endeavours here.
No deflection. Just facts.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes since Sir William you also like changing narrative , yes we hear of insurance companies not paying but when was it about license???
Insurance companies have no obligation to pay if the driver's license is not valid.

Perhaps that is different in your world. The sky certainly seems to be a different color in yours.

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
Insurance companies have no obligation to pay if the driver's license is not valid.

Perhaps that is different in your world. The sky certainly seems to be a different color in yours.
No they don’t have to pay brilliant deduction(y) but they do , hold on I keep telling you we are talking about DR not anywhere else in the world , skys blue palms green presidente cold , for a person who’s been here for ages why are you so confused ? it’s good you have your papers it works for you stop putting us interlopers ,vagabond ,overstayers down , Overstayers Lives Matters OLM

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
No they don’t have to pay brilliant deduction(y) but they do , hold on I keep telling you we are talking about DR not anywhere else in the world , skys blue palms green presidente cold , for a person who’s been here for ages why are you so confused ? it’s good you have your papers it works for you stop putting us interlopers ,vagabond ,overstayers down , Overstayers Lives Matters OLM

I do not see where anyone is putting anyone down. What I can tell you after living here in the DR now for over 23 years that things can change on a whim. What was ok yesterday and today may not be ok for tomorrow. Some prefer to do things the legal way, saving potential headaches later. Those that don't that is their decision. I know many who live here "illegally" and are fine with it. But they also know if or when it becomes an issue then they can not complain about the consequences. Myself, I have had citizenship for many years. Did it way back in the day, when the process was fairly simple. If I had to do it again, I would. Just to save myself from any possible future issues. If you have lived here for any amount of time you know that the law is not always clear, and can vary depending on who may be enforcing it at the time.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
When i bought my apartment here about 5 years ago ...i contemplated maybe staying here for longer than 30 days at a time and decided why not try to do it the right way ...i did not want to risk driving on an expired license .....i used Guzman as the law firm to handle it ....has it been annoying with extra work ...yes ...do i regret the $ spent ...no .......i just received my passport back from the DR consul and will be flying down before the 21st november to get the final piece of the puzzle done ......some people just never want to spend a nickel ...from not paying on items brought in ,not paying for tickets ,not paying workers ...and yet the DR should be gratefull to have us all here

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Doesn't it seem odd that there are TWO (or more) differing and opposite "opinions" on the law regarding insurance and driving in the DR? These laws are on the books and as far as being "vague"...they are vague in interpetation because one wants to argue that side of the opinion. In spite of the fact "this is the Dominican Republic" mantra that I know very well, paying off a guy after being stopped for an expired traffic violation is quite frankly NOT the law. It is a transaction that you and he wanted to participate in. However, it did not include the insurance company, the lawyers on the other side of a traffic accident where someone got killed, the courts in the Capital,etc. So, my point is why debate this subject without having rock solid information of what the law is. I read and listened to the above and I'm not convinced that either side would stand up in court or at immigration control points. Maybe it's just me because I am a good deal more consrvative than most people. BTW: I live in the DR and don't drive for an array of reasons. Currently. Hence my interest in the above.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My intent is to inform. With regards to people that actually live here illegally, I understand that some people are cheap and don't want to spend the money to be legal. Some people are unaware of potential consequences of being illegal. Some like to feel that there are getting away with something because it makes them feel good to work the system.

With regards to tourists, as long as the DR gives people overstays of 120 days with driver's licenses being valid for 90 days, there will always be a grey area. Enforcement of the actual laws would be a reasonable approach while creating a new law for snowbirds that eliminates any ambiguity would also be a good thing.

Meanwhile the DR continues to focus on AI tourism where people stay for 1 or 2 weeks. Those who focus on overstaying illegally will always exist to game the system. That "happens everywhere", so it is OK that it happens in the DR, eh?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Doesn't it seem odd that there are TWO (or more) differing and opposite "opinions" on the law regarding insurance and driving in the DR? These laws are on the books and as far as being "vague"...they are vague in interpetation because one wants to argue that side of the opinion. In spite of the fact "this is the Dominican Republic" mantra that I know very well, paying off a guy after being stopped for an expired traffic violation is quite frankly NOT the law. It is a transaction that you and he wanted to participate in. However, it did not include the insurance company, the lawyers on the other side of a traffic accident where someone got killed, the courts in the Capital,etc. So, my point is why debate this subject without having rock solid information of what the law is. I read and listened to the above and I'm not convinced that either side would stand up in court or at immigration control points. Maybe it's just me because I am a good deal more consrvative than most people. BTW: I live in the DR and don't drive for an array of reasons. Currently. Hence my interest in the above.
Both of these questions have been answered by DR1's own lawyers.

The law states clearly that a driver's license is invalid after 90 days. Any payment made to the traffic police because of an expired license is a beyond the law.

The law states clearly that a tourist card is valid for 30 days. Any payment made to extend the "stay" in the DR is beyond the law.

Did I mention that both of these questions have been answered by DR1's own lawyers.

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
Both of these questions have been answered by DR1's own lawyers.

The law states clearly that a driver's license is invalid after 90 days. Any payment made to the traffic police because of an expired license is a beyond the law.

The law states clearly that a tourist card is valid for 30 days. Any payment made to extend the "stay" in the DR is beyond the law.

Did I mention that both of these questions have been answered by DR1's own lawyers.
Isn’t DR a beautiful place!!
you argued for yrs sir Windy only 30 days that’s it for legal driving and you where wrong :( it was 90 days the hole time, ( 6 months with international lic), it’s currently 120 days driving because as convuleted laws are here the law which you love quoting so much because you are law abiding citizen says as long as legally staying your lic is legal !so those on tourist cards extend online and get paper to stay legally 120 days I then you can drive legally 120 days . But it doesn’t matter really because no one cares maybe one day but not today! My intent is to inform also .

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Isn’t DR a beautiful place!!
you argued for yrs sir Windy only 30 days that’s it for legal driving and you where wrong :( it was 90 days the hole time, ( 6 months with international lic), it’s currently 120 days driving because as convuleted laws are here the law which you love quoting so much because you are law abiding citizen says as long as legally staying your lic is legal !so those on tourist cards extend online and get paper to stay legally 120 days I then you can drive legally 120 days . But it doesn’t matter really because no one cares maybe one day but not today! My intent is to inform also .
I admit I was incorrect on the driving law. People can drive legally for 90 days on a foreign license. . A foreign license is not legal for 120 days. The regulation allowing tourists to pay for a total of a 120 stay has no basis in the laws while the laws for driving and the laws for tourist card stays and driving are set by different government agencies and are independent of each other.

International licenses are NOT RECOGNIZED IN THE DR. You are wrong on that. They are not valid at all, but will the police care?

You are informing people about what they can get away with, not what is legal. Those are two different things.

Travelbear18

Sep 23, 2018
When i bought my apartment here about 5 years ago ...i contemplated maybe staying here for longer than 30 days at a time and decided why not try to do it the right way ...i did not want to risk driving on an expired license .....i used Guzman as the law firm to handle it ....has it been annoying with extra work ...yes ...do i regret the $ spent ...no .......i just received my passport back from the DR consul and will be flying down before the 21st november to get the final piece of the puzzle done ......some people just never want to spend a nickel ...from not paying on items brought in ,not paying for tickets ,not paying workers ...and yet the DR should be gratefull to have us all here
this is my winter retirement home and I also am in the process of using Guzman and just awaiting return of my passport from DR Consul. So many including myself have complained about illegal immigrants in their own country. To end my own hypocrisy I decided to get the process of residency started. Also makes sense when owning a home, have a bank account and other things to do it right. Just my opinion

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Legal or illegal.
It will always boil
down to money.
As with most developing
nations (been developing
a long time down here)
cash is and alway will be king.
I do not see that changing
during my lifetime or yours.

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
I admit I was incorrect on the driving law. People can drive legally for 90 days on a foreign license. . A foreign license is not legal for 120 days. The regulation allowing tourists to pay for a total of a 120 stay has no basis in the laws while the laws for driving and the laws for tourist card stays and driving are set by different government agencies and are independent of each other.

International licenses are NOT RECOGNIZED IN THE DR. You are wrong on that. They are not valid at all, but will the police care?

You are informing people about what they can get away with, not what is legal. Those are two different things.
Sadly Windy you seem winded , I get a piece of paper now that says I’m legal to stay for 120 days , just as before your blinded by the light and wrong but it’s ok it really doesn’t matter , as long as DR is happy to have me and allow me to drive and drink cold presidente I will come as many snowbirds do . The DR government loves us ts shame your view of us is always blinded by legality and Not about what’s allowed here As a person who’s been here since dinosaurs you know better but insist on being Dr1
legal beagle. oh by way talk to your insurance company next time about international license , really your going quote police Caring ROFLMFAO Im going to stop and do what’s important go out on beautiful Friday drink some beer eat some food and pretend life is normal .PEACE OUT!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sadly Windy you seem winded , I get a piece of paper now that says I’m legal to stay for 120 days , just as before your blinded by the light and wrong but it’s ok it really doesn’t matter , as long as DR is happy to have me and allow me to drive and drink cold presidente I will come as many snowbirds do . The DR government loves us ts shame your view of us is always blinded by legality and Not about what’s allowed here As a person who’s been here since dinosaurs you know better but insist on being Dr1
legal beagle. oh by way talk to your insurance company next time about international license , really your going quote police Caring ROFLMFAO Im going to stop and do what’s important go out on beautiful Friday drink some beer eat some food and pretend life is normal .PEACE OUT!
That is just fine if you think it really is legal to stay for up to 120 days. How about more than 120 days? What does your imagination have to say about 121 days onward?

And go with that nonsense about International Licenses if that provides you with comfort, by all means. I have no reason to talk to my insurance company about a so called license that is not recognized here. Insurance agents will say whatever they need to in order to sell you a policy. But you knew that, didn't you?

As long as you are happy with your situation, why change it?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
That is just fine if you think it really is legal to stay for up to 120 days. How about more than 120 days? What does your imagination have to say about 121 days onward?
May I ask, what in God's name does 121 days have to do with anything? Ridiculous banter.

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario

And go with that nonsense about International Licenses if that provides you with comfort, by all means. I have no reason to talk to my insurance company about a so called license that is not recognized here. Insurance agents will say whatever they need to in order to sell you a policy. But you knew that, didn't you?

As long as you are happy with your situation, why change it?
straight from Government of Canada website. I trust my government It’s helped me follow the rules of DR for 10 yrs. how’s your government doing?
Driving
If you are involved in a road accident, you may be detained by police until the circumstances of the accident have been investigated.

You must carry an international driving permit.

More about the International Driving Permit

so now you want people to follow your rules and break law , considering you’ve been wrong on topic ?