Visa Overstay / Immigration form Questions

Sc2

Sep 29, 2020
Cali
Hello everyone,

First, sorry if this topic has already been covered and my questions are redundant. I tried to search for the exact information I was looking for but couldn't find it completely and would like some clarification.

I have been in-and-out of DR many times but never stayed past the 30 day tourist card limit. This trip, I would *potentially like to do so*. I am looking to book a ticket from the West-Coast of the USA roundtrip to the DR. The ticket would be arriving sometime in November and leaving sometime in January or February. I also have plans to be in Florida in sometime during that window (December or January) but will not buy that ticket until I am actually in DR. That ticket will also be a separate, round trip ticket. I will go to Florida and come back to DR before returning on the original ticket that comes back to the West coast of the USA. All of the dates are pretty flexible. A round-trip ticket from here is like the same as a one way.

It seems like the visa overstay is a non-issue and you just pay the money at the airport and go on about your business. My question is upon arrival into the DR, will customs/immigration ask why the return ticket is so far in advance, and past the 30 day tourist visa? Also, when entering into the country and asking my duration of stay, if I put 28 days, even though my return ticket is scheduled a month or two after that, will there be an issue? I obviously imagine that I can't put that my planned duration in the DR is 3 months on that immigration form? The truth is I don't know how many days I will be staying in the DR, but, I don't expect to be there a full 3-4 months without going in and out.

Thanks in advance for all the advice! Appreciate it!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
New extensions are now available - extending the 30 days by 30-60 & 90 days
but
once you leave - game over.

So , you'll need the extension until your FLA trip and perhaps again afterwards.

Can be done online - in advance or while here

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I guess the way to look at is since you are not a resident of the DR ; Each time you enter the DR is a separate segment. When you leave (whenever) that closes out that segment. Under 30 days (or what ever visa you purchased) is treated as that visit to the DR.

Sc2

Sep 29, 2020
Cali
Yes... the clock starts (restarts) at each entry...... easy to understand

Yes. That part I understand. I just didn't know how if it matters or raises a flag on the custom form if you say you are only staying x amount of days (28) but the return flight is much after that. I've always heard they don't care about overstays as long as you pay, but just trying to make sure.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What you say - is now virgin territory.

Will the new gov't continue that 'work around'.... they say 'No'

yet to be seen

The extension seems simple enough.... why risk your overstay being 'catalogued' in the system??

Reactions: cavok and aarhus

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This my thinking... just a guess..... don't shoot to kill 🔫

The new group will allow - for a while- the overstay airport pay program to continue
BUT
you'll be warned on the way out....
we have a new program, you should use that
this overstay (or any future ones) will be recorded in our system
If you continue not to comply & do not use the new extension....
you will be penalized......

They have stated they want to follow the laws... in this instance and others
They seem to be keeping their promises.....

Vamos a ver

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Have never had immigration ask to see the return ticket. even before I had residency

Reactions: David B

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
With all the problems and damage done to the tourism
industry (its on the front page of every news outlet in the
country) it may be a little while longer before they start
making changes.

Reactions: aarhus and johne

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Have never had immigration ask to see the return ticket. even before I had residency
Immigration will not ask to see a return ticket. That is the job of the airline. We know many airlines ignore this Dominican regulation.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Immigration will not ask to see a return ticket. That is the job of the airline. We know many airlines ignore this Dominican regulation.
I'm missing something here. I'm thinking how can immigration ask for a return ticket when you are ENTERING the DR? Of course they will not ask you. They will just direct you to the taxi stand. As far as the airlines are concerned, in 18-19 years with over 100 trips I will very simply state I was never asked. As far as the airlines ignoring "the Dominican regulations"...that's so absurd I have no comment. Entounces, I just don't get what this is all about.

Reactions: aarhus

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
What you say - is now virgin territory.

Will the new gov't continue that 'work around'.... they say 'No'

yet to be seen

The extension seems simple enough.... why risk your overstay being 'catalogued' in the system??
the new government hasnt said anything regarding the overstayers or overstay fees
stop spreading that false rumor
what they did say was they would be addressing the haitian immigration issue

Reactions: jinty05

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
Sc2 just go online before your 30 days is up and extend your tourist card and apply for automatic 120 days from first day you entered ..if you don’t have return ticket buy one online cancel next day, keeps you legal and no worries on next visit!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I'm missing something here. I'm thinking how can immigration ask for a return ticket when you are ENTERING the DR? Of course they will not ask you. They will just direct you to the taxi stand. As far as the airlines are concerned, in 18-19 years with over 100 trips I will very simply state I was never asked. As far as the airlines ignoring "the Dominican regulations"...that's so absurd I have no comment. Entounces, I just don't get what this is all about.
As I understand it, airlines are requested to make sure that foreign passengers to the DR have a return ticket (or Residency). However, many airlines don't do so.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What it is about is that the Dominican Republic requires airlines to verify that people going to the DR on a tourist card have a return flight.
What this is about is that many airlines do not verify that people entering on a tourist card have a return flight out of the DR.
What this is about is that those airlines can be fined severely for not verifying if such tourists have such a flight.
What this is about is that the previous government of 16 years did not care to enforce this regulation. Will this government? Who knows.

Have you ever flown JetBlue? They asked the last time I flew out of Florida and made one of our party who is not a legal resident purchase a return flight or they would not be allowed to board.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As I understand it, airlines are requested to make sure that foreign passengers to the DR have a return ticket (or Residency). However, many airlines don't do so.
It is not a "request", it is a requirement they choose to ignore at their own risk.

Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
the new government hasnt said anything regarding the overstayers or overstay fees
stop spreading that false rumor
what they did say was they would be addressing the haitian immigration issue
What the new Minister of the Interior and Police said was they would enforce the immigration laws as written by their party in 2004 that the PLD ignored for 16 years. Those laws are very clear regarding tourist card validity duration. Prepaid or postpaid overstay fees are not part of those laws.

Dawiky502

Aug 10, 2020
Santiago
Has anyone actually left with the current government (Abinader) after overstaying and came back?

Are they giving any warning? Is coming back an issue?

I noticed they took down the overstay fees from the new website.

Reactions: aarhus

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Has anyone actually left with the current government (Abinader) after overstaying and came back?

Are they giving any warning? Is coming back an issue?

I noticed they took down the overstay fees from the new website.

I left in late August after arriving here in mid January, 2020. I should have been fined $4k DOP but it was just 2500. They said nothing to me and stamped me in no questions asked when I returned 8 Sept.