Visa / Permission for Longer Stays

zawaja

Oct 15, 2022
Distrito Nacional
Hello! Does anyone know if it is possible to get a visa / permit for an extended stay in RD will already be in place? However, do I have to return to my country of origin?

Jack

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Hello! Does anyone know if it is possible to get a visa / permit for an extended stay in RD will already be in place? However, do I have to return to my country of origin?

Jack
If you wish to apply for residency, you begin at your local Dominican Embassy, in your country of origin.

Reactions: windeguy

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Don't waste your time. Just come and stay as long as you want and pay the exit fee at the airport like the thousands that do all the time. Of course they have the advantage as they never read some of stuff here coming your way now...............

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Perhaps you should explain what an 'extended' stay is..... how long ??
I agree. It depends how long. Maybe if its 1-2 years pay overstay but if its over that get residency. But again maybe it also depends where you are from. My country Denmark may say you don’t live in Denmark anymore and don’t have an address anymore after 6 months so eventually you need to have legal residency somewhere. I don’t think Americans for instance have this issue.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Exactly ‼️
As there are provisions available to extend your tourist visa/card/permission.
The extension available is for the tourist card. I believe it is for a maximum of 90 days past the original 30 granted with the card when it is purchased at the airport upon arrival.

Visas are issued by Dominican Consulates before travel to the DR.They require a formal application, supporting documents and payment of a fee that is significantly higher than the cost of a tourist card. Although I never had a tourist visa, at one point I held a different visa to enter the DR. My experience was that the visa was good for a year. Some visas are single entrance, others are multiple entrance.

It is very confusing for new posters when tourist cards and tourist visas are conflated.

Last edited:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Mea culpa. My experience with tourist cards goes back close to 25 years when they were purchased upon arrival. With the visa, no need for card so it has become a non-issue for me.

zawaja

Oct 15, 2022
Distrito Nacional
Don't waste your time. Just come and stay as long as you want and pay the exit fee at the airport like the thousands that do all the time. Of course they have the advantage as they never read some of stuff here coming your way now...............
I consider this option... but I want to start business here, invest...

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I consider this option... but I want to start business here, invest...
Then the process is to apply for the type of visa that you seek in the Dominican Embassy or Consulate in your country of origin.
It might be wise to seek legal counsel for the options you have depending upon your intended level of investment.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

zawaja

Oct 15, 2022
Distrito Nacional
Then the process is to apply for the type of visa that you seek in the Dominican Embassy or Consulate in your country of origin.
It might be wise to seek legal counsel for the options you have depending upon your intended level of investment.
Main problem is that in Poland there is no embassy or consulate. And going to Berlin several times just to sign papers is pointless.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Main problem is that in Poland there is no embassy or consulate. And going to Berlin several times just to sign papers is pointless.
I would still suggest that you consult a competent immigration attorney here in the Dominican Republic.
They may have dealt with clients in your situation before.
And if you are going to invest in real estate or start a business...
Having a competent Dominican advocate working on your behalf is needed.
At least in my personal/business situation it has been.