Visa / Permission for Longer Stays

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree. It depends how long. Maybe if its 1-2 years pay overstay but if its over that get residency. But again maybe it also depends where you are from. My country Denmark may say you don’t live in Denmark anymore and don’t have an address anymore after 6 months so eventually you need to have legal residency somewhere. I don’t think Americans for instance have this issue.
Americans don't have that issue. Canadians have the silly health care situation where they lose medical benefits after 6 months in many provinces of the great white north.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Main problem is that in Poland there is no embassy or consulate. And going to Berlin several times just to sign papers is pointless.
Pointless? If you want to be legal, there is actually a real point. It is the ONLY way for you to be legal in the DR.
If you want to stay here illegally, then go for it.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is a Polish consulate in Costambar, in Puerto Plata on the North Coast, maybe they can help you
They can certainly tell him/her to go home and start the residency process at the nearest DR consulate in Berlin.

My grandparents all came from the OP zawaja's country. That doesn't mean I can go there and stay as long as I want to.

Going back to the original post, zawaja, how long do you want to stay in the DR?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Pointless? If you want to be legal, there is actually a real point. It is the ONLY way for you to be legal in the DR.
If you want to stay here illegally, then go for it.
Illegal, the DR Govt. has set up the process for the past 20 years to come, stay as long as you like, pay a FEE when you leave and come back whenever you want.

And the vast majority of tourists that come for long periods of time use this system, instead of getting on the "Residency Merry Go Round" for 10 or 20 years of increased fees and major aggravation................

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Illegal, the DR Govt. has set up the process for the past 20 years to come, stay as long as you like, pay a FEE when you leave and come back whenever you want.

And the vast majority of tourists that come for long periods of time use this system, instead of getting on the "Residency Merry Go Round" for 10 or 20 years of increased fees and major aggravation................
Very true.

Forever is a tourist? That is how long the person I was referring to wishes to stay in the DR when coming from Poland.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Americans don't have that issue. Canadians have the silly health care situation where they lose medical benefits after 6 months in many provinces of the great white north.
The Denmark thing has to do with medical benefits to. And you are just not a resident anymore so you can’t just be a resident of nowhere. So when I had legal residency in the DR it did serve that purpose.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
The Denmark thing has to do with medical benefits to. And you are just not a resident anymore so you can’t just be a resident of nowhere. So when I had legal residency in the DR it did serve that purpose.
Perpetual travellers arguably can exist with no residency anywhere...but that's increasingly hard to do.

As an aside, I'm assuming you meant legal residency, although there probably should be an equal amount of emphasis on tax residency.

Reactions: aarhus

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
AlaPlaya-
very hard to have no residency and have a driver's license.....I tried it

Yes, eventually, you need a country of residence

Reactions: aarhus

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Perpetual travellers arguably can exist with no residency anywhere...but that's increasingly hard to do.

As an aside, I'm assuming you meant legal residency, although there probably should be an equal amount of emphasis on tax residency.
That’s true. Legal residency and tax residency is not the same thing. You can involuntarily become a tax resident. And yes the “resident of nowhere” concept is getting harder and harder.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
In post #13, the OP said he want to come here and start a business. To do that, you need to be a resident.
To my knowledge restaurants are businesses and there are many restaurant owners in Sosua that aren't legal residents,just sayin'...

Reactions: clff4u

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
To my knowledge restaurants are businesses and there are many restaurant owners in Sosua that aren't legal residents,just sayin'...
I don’t know if you have to be a legal resident to have a business in the DR. You could have a Dominican company with a Dominican tax id an RNC instead and just be a shareholder and owner from abroad.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don’t know if you have to be a legal resident to have a business in the DR. You could have a Dominican company with a Dominican tax id an RNC instead and just be a shareholder and owner from abroad.
As I understand it you can own a business, but working at the business could be an issue. That would require a legal expert on that.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Could be(?). There are a lot of people here doing a lot of illegal things. Getting caught running a business/working here and not being a legal resident will get you deported though.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
As I understand it you can own a business, but working at the business could be an issue. That would require a legal expert on that.
Yes I am not sure. I had legal residency when I was operating a business in the DR. I still have shares in a company but no residency. My former Dominican business partner runs a real estate brokerage in that company.

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Anyone get a renewal of the work card that was given out during the regulation plan years back????