Visiting DR with my dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Andrea,

Good luck. This is the decision you have made and the course you seem intent on following, so come on down, dogs in tow and make the best of it. Just expect "issues" to arise along the way and be prepared to deal with them. Please, ensure your dogs don't take anything back home that will impact the other pets in your neighborhood.

BTW if your dogs have had their rabies vaccinations on a regular schedule then no need to worry about coverage after a recent booster.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
we used to travel BoBo the Boxer back/forth - with no ill effects

it's a load of dog doodoo that a visiting dog will suffer........... ignore that advice.
I have more experience than most in this.... and I import most of my animals.... 4 to date and one local dog
that 4 doesn't count the frequent trips with BoBo...

about $10 in and the same out... good vet check each way and you're done....

bow wow voyage !!

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Looks like HUG needs a hug. What a condescending person. Thanks for the unsolicited advice and failure to answer the actual question :)

Welcome to DR1. Guaranteed that when some don't have information, that won't slow them down from contributing nonsense!

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Looks like HUG needs a hug. What a condescending person. Thanks for the unsolicited advice and failure to answer the actual question :)

I don't find showing consideration for the welfare of your animals that you may have overseen as being condescending. If you do not wish for the views and advice of the public then do not ask advice on a forum, comes with the territory. I lived in the area you are visiting for quite a few years, I can't think of anywhere at all your dogs will get any safe freedom. And just recently been reminded that expat dogs do go missing and it's heart breaking for all. Take want you want from a forum and ignore the rest, no need to get arsy with those showing consideration, it could come back to bite you.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We use "Tough Love" here on DR1.

Here's mine!

You will live to regret bringing your dogs with you!
Would you bring 2 two year old children with you?

That's what 2 dogs will be like.

You will NOT be on a vacation, you will spend 24/7 caring for, and worrying about your "KIDS"!

Dominicans don't see pet dogs as "Children", they poison them if they bark to much, or "Dump" in their yard.
I have 12 dogs here right now, (9 are 2 week old pups)

Do your friends her want to have 2 dogs to take care of???
What if the dogs bark & howl when you eave them at home alone???
The neighbors will throw some "Special Treats" into the yard for te dogs.
Next day you can watch the dogs bleed out from every orifice in their body while the suffer a painful death!!!

If you think I care about you and Your vacation, I DON'T!

I care about the dogs.
If you "Love Them",..."Leave Them"!!!!!
They don't want to come.
It is obvious that the ONLY reason you want to bring them is a financial one.
If you can't afford to board them, find foster homes for when you will be gone, or put them up for adoption.

My sister lives in the USA, has adopted a "MUTT" from Puerto Rico, and has "Fostered" dogs in her home for people in your situation.

"Tough" enough for you?????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Way to get all bent out of shape over something that doesn't even concern you Criss Colon ;)

I see you met esteemed dr1 "LOCAL" member CC!

He actually lives in RD unlke 90% of the other arse wipes here, so take his advice with a spoon full of sugar and a grin.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The life of your dogs does concern me!!!!!!!

If you think what I posted is "Bent out of shape, you care less about the dogs than I thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A better post by you would have gone something like this,.....
"Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond to my questions."
"I will consider all your responses as I make my decision as to what to do".

"THE HEALTH AND WELL BEING OF THE DOGS COMES FIRST TO ME".

"I will let you know what I finally decide to do".

Thanks Again!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your hostile/negative responses to those who's ideas you reject confirms my suspicions about this BEING about your convenience, NOT YOUR DOGS!!!!!!

I DOUBT WE WILL EVER HEAR A REPORT ON THIS FIASCO.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Way to get all bent out of shape over something that doesn't even concern you Criss Colon ;)

He has dogs, and He has a lot of experience in the DR from what I can see, and the poisoning thing is for real... we know a General who had a Rottweiler poisoned.... a freaking General, and a neighbors poisoned his dog ?!? .. if thats not Cojones I dont know what is.
These people dont care about your "Pets".. they get loose, kiss them goodbye , they bark too much ,kiss them goodbye.
if you love your pets, leave them at home with a family member who will properly care for them.
The only possible exception is a dog for self protection, a highly trained guard dog who absolutely will not eat anything than what you feed him.
but do as you wish .
and yes, I have owned several dogs myself includingseveral Dobies, and flew them all over the USA.

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
The thing is people. I came here to ask a question regarding the entry requirements for my dogs. Not once did I ask for your unsolicited advice on whether you think MY decision is ok by your standards. Way to bully the new member :ermm:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The thing is people. I came here to ask a question regarding the entry requirements for my dogs. Not once did I ask for your unsolicited advice on whether you think MY decision is ok by your standards. Way to bully the new member :ermm:

You have a choice here, get thicker skin, or seek advice elsewhere, simple as that, you will wade through a few piles of dung to capture an invaluable GOLD NUGGET here, and it might be worth it one day.... or NOT!

For every 9 AY HOLES on board, there is one sincere poster, your job is to find them, now if would like a refund for your admission to the site, I suggest you email: getalifeofftheinternet @ colon.com

This is not bullying, most are people who love animals and are thinking of them, not what is the cheaper option.

I would NEVER fly dogs in cargo unless it was absolutely necessary ESPECIALLY in the summer where most airlines don't even let you fly your dog here!!

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
This is not bullying, most are people who love animals and are thinking of them, not what is the cheaper option.

I would NEVER fly dogs in cargo unless it was absolutely necessary ESPECIALLY in the summer where most airlines don't even let you fly your dog here!! !!

thats another EXCELLENT point...
Do you really think these people at the airpot care about your DOG, as he is being removed from the plane on the Tarmac, and thirsty as can be... this is why the airlines wont even allow it, cause they KNOW..

this "bullying" phrase is growing really tiresome.. I cant believe a grown ADULT would even use such a "victim" mentality word..
it truly verifies eveything suspected.

telling someone the raw TRUTH is now " bullying"..
LMAO..

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
I don't have a problem with people's opinions. I do have a problem with people being rude, insulting, and personal attacks against me on my post, those are all contrary to the forum rules. That's just belittling and isn't conducive to an actual conversation, imho.

It's only $200/dog on AA, one time fee because the flight from Miami to SDQ is a connecting flight. They hooked me up with a pet friendly hotel and transportation there and back for my overnight, for only $100. My flight is only $250. A direct flight is well over $1000, not including the fee for the dogs! I have the reservations for the dogs and the proper travel crates. The monthly heartworm meds prevent fleas and ticks. I've already checked out the dog food options in the DR. My brand of dog food is there. One of my dogs is from the Dominican and I am in touch with the rescue group I got him from that has vet contacts across the country. My only problem is the rabies vaccination. Some sites say that the dog has to have had the shot within 30 days - 1 year before travel. My 4 year old dog has had his vaccinations regularly but just had his yearly booster. I'm quite clear on what the dogs will have to endure in the summer in BC (Boca Chica, Dominican Republic Weather Averages | Monthly Average High and Low Temperature | Average Precipitation and Rainfall days | World Weather Online), pretty much the same as they would endure in Toronto (Toronto, Canada Weather Averages | Monthly Average High and Low Temperature | Average Precipitation and Rainfall days | World Weather Online). Still better than them being stuck in a kennel for 4 months, been there done that. And not everyone has family so... I've done my research, but thanks for putting me down before asking.

You can always get someone to stay in your home and take care of your animals or find a pet sitter that keeps them at their house.

Please think about the welfare of your animals and not the money!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"ANDY" We could care less about YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We are responding to be of help to your dogs, NOT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are more worried about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ than the dogs.
It is selfish of you to bring the dogs!
Get over yourself!

Send a pm TO THE MODERATOR OF THIS FORUM TO VOICE YOUR COMPLAINTS.
They will be glad to refund your deposit!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
I've re-read everything I've written, several times. Please tell me where I stated that I am more worried about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ than the dogs? I personally think my dogs will be fine. They have travelled across Canada and the US with me. Can't see how this is any different? My dogs are a lifelong commitment. Won't be pawning them off on anyone.

I've re-read everything I've written, several times. Please tell me where I stated that I am more worried about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ than the dogs? I personally think my dogs will be fine. They have travelled across Canada and the US with me. Can't see how this is any different? My dogs are a lifelong commitment. Won't be pawning them off on anyone.

You said it is cheaper to fly them with you then leave them at home and on another post you chose to fly non direct bc it was cheaper. Clearly non direct adds much more stress on Animals.

I moved 5 months later than I wanted to after I sold my house in Canada bc it was safer in cooler months for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.